C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
No matter how good Savoie is I have a hard time believing a GM or scout will risk taking a 5'9 kid at 1OV. Jobs are at stake. I think they go with the safety picks like they seem to do every year.

Would be cool if it happens but I just don't see it.

you aware the 2 front header for next years draft who both have generational potential are both 5'9"?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No matter how good Savoie is I have a hard time believing a GM or scout will risk taking a 5'9 kid at 1OV. Jobs are at stake. I think they go with the safety picks like they seem to do every year.

Would be cool if it happens but I just don't see it.
That's fair.

He will get taken in the first round (Top 5? Top 10?) and hopefully reward a team that takes a "chance" on him.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
you aware the 2 front header for next years draft who both have generational potential are both 5'9"?
Savoie is 18 y.o. with a full beard. I suspect he's not going to gain more height.
I would be surprised if the 16 y.o. Bedard doesn't gain more height.
My point isn't that height matters. Only that height might impact Savoie's ranking more than the other two you mentioned.

Savoie has the speed and explosiveness that makes his game translatable to the NHL.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
god has he slown down. under 1.5 ppg now. being as small as he is he needs to produce.

Admittedly haven’t seen him too much recently, how has he looked even without producing as much?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
god has he slown down. under 1.5 ppg now. being as small as he is he needs to produce.

Admittedly haven’t seen him too much recently, how has he looked even without producing as much?
A goal in the first (today) will help his cause.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I was a little underwhelmed by his play today tbh. He had a nice goal, and is obviously dangerous offensively, but he was getting pushed around physically quite a bit. He didn't get a lot of assistance from his teammates but he is going to have to find a way to create plays in tight checking, physical games.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Reminds me of this years Kent Johnson. Not really stylically but more so boom or bust factor

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I was a little underwhelmed by his play today tbh. He had a nice goal, and is obviously dangerous offensively, but he was getting pushed around physically quite a bit. He didn't get a lot of assistance from his teammates but he is going to have to find a way to create plays in tight checking, physical games.
I saw the first half of the game vs Edmonton.

He honestly looks like he's lost a step since earlier in the year. Wonder if he's dealing with an injury? Or just fatigue. Oil Kings were definitely taking liberties with him.

He still looked pretty dangerous on the PP but yeah at 5v5 he was pretty invisible.

beast mode

Oct 27, 2020
Because of his size and concussion history I can see him falling but over 15th seems like a stretch.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
l00l i love you goldenhands, but you're wrong
I dont think so, kid had good edges, good agility, but his top speed is only slightly above average for his size, by junior level standarts. I dont see much upside in term of 5 on 5 play at higher levels, wont be very hard to contain. Thats a kid you take a chance on around 15 if you already have a couple of big talended fowards in your system.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Going to be taken later than most have him ranked on HF
HF community's yearly favorite pet. Savoie is not a top 15 pick in this draft.
The overwhelming majority of scouting resources have the guy as a top 5-10 pick and he's ranked #3 on Elite Prospects' consolidated list. I'm pretty sure it's not just HFBoards that is high on this player.

He could fall due to size/health concerns but the teams passing up on him will be kicking themselves in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
HF community's yearly favorite pet. Savoie is not a top 15 pick in this draft.

Maybe a bit harsh but I do agree that he has been much more hyped on this forum in comparison to most prognostications from people or publications who, whether you like them are not, have some standing in the scouting community. Back in December, even when he was still a hot commodity - most had Savoie ranked in that 7-10 range. And although some still had him higher (wasn’t he 4 on BMac’s mid season poll?), he was never mentioned as one of those names scouts were throwing around as a potential #1 type pick even as the draft rankings were seemingly becoming wide open.

Of course he’s really talented and could make everyone look foolish if he does slip - and it’s not even a guarantee he slips. Still plenty of season left to raise his stock back up. But at some point there are concerns with him that go beyond if he’s on a hot point scoring streak or not that may be putting somewhat of a cap on how high NHL franchises are willing to take him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From the games I've seen he's been plenty dangerous at 5 on 5. A factor not really considered is that the Ice have a very deep team and role 4 lines fairly consistiently. Most other junior stars play on much less deep rosters and get significantly more 5 on 5 ice time.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Yet another pointless game. As a Flyers fan who knows the team is going to pick very high in the draft this year, he’s been pretty underwhelming since December. Went from number 2 on my list to out of the top 5

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I saw the first half of the game vs Edmonton.

He honestly looks like he's lost a step since earlier in the year. Wonder if he's dealing with an injury? Or just fatigue. Oil Kings were definitely taking liberties with him.

He still looked pretty dangerous on the PP but yeah at 5v5 he was pretty invisible.

I would hope that he is working on his overall game rather than filling the net with pucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad