C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
He’s listed at 5’10 though. Jack Hughes was listed at 5’10. Didn’t measure at the combine either. Some have said Quinn and Jack didn’t measure at the combine because they would come in shorter once measured, although it was only speculation.
5’10 seems to be the height given to players so they don’t seem too short. I feel any player above 5’8 gets listed at 5’10.

Bedard, Savoie, Jack Hughes are all good examples of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
No matter how good Savoie is I have a hard time believing a GM or scout will risk taking a 5'9 kid at 1OV. Jobs are at stake. I think they go with the safety picks like they seem to do every year.

Would be cool if it happens but I just don't see it.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No matter how good Savoie is I have a hard time believing a GM or scout will risk taking a 5'9 kid at 1OV. Jobs are at stake. I think they go with the safety picks like they seem to do every year.

It already has. Patrick Kane I believe was listed at 5'9 most places at his draft date. Seems Central Scouting (probably the best source since they have combine info) listed him at 5'9.5. This was in an era where size was a bigger concern, and Kane is partially why smaller guys get more opportunity from scouts now. Granted, Patrick Kane put up such absurd numbers in his draft year in London, it was impossible to ignore and Esposito, Cherepanov, and Couture rapidly fell down draft boards from their opening position. But, while what Savoie is doing is impressive, Kane's year was absurd performance and numbers-wise.

Reactions: majormajor

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
It already has. Patrick Kane I believe was listed at 5'9 most places at his draft date. Seems Central Scouting (probably the best source since they have combine info) listed him at 5'9.5. This was in an era where size was a bigger concern, and Kane is partially why smaller guys get more opportunity from scouts now. Granted, Patrick Kane put up such absurd numbers in his draft year in London, it was impossible to ignore and Esposito, Cherepanov, and Couture rapidly fell down draft boards from their opening position. But, while what Savoie is doing is impressive, Kane's year was absurd performance and numbers-wise.
Maybe i'm wrong, but Kane was the concessus at first in 2007, not the case with Savoie.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Maybe i'm wrong, but Kane was the concessus at first in 2007, not the case with Savoie.
Kane entered the year way down on the list. To open the year the top 3 was generally considered Angelo Esposito, Cherapanov, and Logan Couture. A mid-season Central scouting had the top 5 NA skaters as Esposito, JVR, Sam Gagner, Kane, Kyle Turrs in that order. Even at the end of the year, Central Scouting put Turris above Kane. Central scouting can be off on things, but Kane didn't enter the year as the clear favorite by any means.

Esposito top North American skater in mid-season rankings for 2007 NHL draft

I don't think Savoie will end up the consensus number 1, but at this point in his draft year Patrick Kane wasn't viewed as one either.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don’t disagree, but he’s now listed at 5’10. Not sure how many more times this needs to be said in this thread.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Wright producing at a much better pace recently. On the opposite end, what is up with Matthew Savoie? Production has significantly dipped since mid December.

how has he been playing?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Wright producing at a much better pace recently. On the opposite end, what is up with Matthew Savoie? Production has significantly dipped since mid December.

how has he been playing?
His numbers are about a PPG since Dec 15th.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

how has he been playing?
I’d be more worried about Geekie’s production, which has been abysmal recently. And he can’t seem to win a face off either

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
ppg when you’re a supposed top 5 pick is not anything amazing, especially when you’re 5’9 and your name is primarily built in being an all offensive type of player.
He's 2nd in WHL scoring. The one guy with 2 more points is 2 years older.
Is this truly disappointing to you or does it just seem that way because Wright had a 4 point night.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
He's 2nd in WHL scoring. The one guy with 2 more points is 2 years older.
Is this truly disappointing to you or does it just seem that way because Wright had a 4 point night.

10 points in 10 games is disappointing to me yes

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
An assist for the kid. He's slowed down but it may be reflection of a strong team with only one puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad