C/LW Roope Hintz (2015, 49th, DAL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I'm quite confident in his abilities to become a middle-six two-way center in the NHL. I don't know about his offensive skills, but he seems to be very reliable and versatile.

Jul 1, 2012
Two breakaway goals in about four minutes tonight. Looking good!

Jul 1, 2012
What is looking good? Definitely not JYP's defense.
It's weird how disorganized they look this game, after the fantastic series they had against SaiPa.

Anyway I thought Hintz did a great job at breaking away from the defence in the first goal.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Not much talk about him but has 19 goals this season. Good size and speed combo. Any thoughts on what his potential is for Dallas?

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Bump. What's really imo hindering his development to the next level is his head. Injuries are not an excuse at this. He's got all the important tools: high IQ, good skating size and shot. He shows flashes of brilliance at times and sometimes he seems like he isn't even trying. Needs to fully commit giving 100% every night and off the ice too.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
I don't see him being anything special in the NHL. Seems to be happy at where he is right now and rumours say he's not willing to put in the work to become an NHLer. Maybe he turns it around but right now he's on his way becoming a good player in Europe and a regular in the Finland WC team but not much more.

Reactions: lakai17

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I don't see him being anything special in the NHL. Seems to be happy at where he is right now and rumours say he's not willing to put in the work to become an NHLer. Maybe he turns it around but right now he's on his way becoming a good player in Europe and a regular in the Finland WC team but not much more.
That's the feeling I've been getting. Seems like moving under the bright lights in Helsinki and getting more likes in Instagram was more important than actually getting better as a hockey player.

Some people are so short sighted. Could've put the work in now and then drown in that good stuff while being an NHL star.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Why are people being so judgemental? If he's happy playing in a much nicer city than Dallas, in his home country, under less strenuous professional demands, then good for him.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Why are people being so judgemental? If he's happy playing in a much nicer city than Dallas, in his home country, under less strenuous professional demands, then good for him.

I'm not being judgemental towards him as a person. Just judging how his career is going. It's totally up to him how or where he wants to play hockey, and I get that putting so much work into it isn't for everyone, which is fine. Still a shame since he could've been something special (and still could if he finds the motivation).

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Yeah, I guess he is happy not to earn millions more. He has all the tools to make it, but atm he is more of a social media poser than a possible NHLer. Well, must feel good to get all the attention from teenage girls rather than to play in the world's best hockey league.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Where is all this random hate coming from lol?

HIFK lost a playoff series and Hintz was supposed to be one of the best forwards on the team after playing well earlier in the playoffs. Instead he looked lazy and only had 2 assists in 5 games and couldn't do anything offensively in the most important games.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
So he has one bad series as a 20 year old and people start saying he is lazy and won't make the NHL? Kid had a really good year despite starting injured and his numbers suggest he could probably step into the NHL next year in a bottom 6 role or get top line AHL minutes

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
So he has one bad series as a 20 year old and people start saying he is lazy and won't make the NHL? Kid had a really good year despite starting injured and his numbers suggest he could probably step into the NHL next year in a bottom 6 role or get top line AHL minutes
You know, some of us have actually watched him play to draw our conclusions. Him being lazy is the biggest question mark I have over his NHL career. He appears that way more than you would like on-ice + his off-ice interviews (said he is happy at his development) aren't much more encouraging. Otherwise he absolutely has all the tools to become a 2nd line C in the NHL.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You know, some of us have actually watched him play to draw our conclusions. Him being lazy is the biggest question mark I have over his NHL career. He appears that way more than you would like on-ice + his off-ice interviews (said he is happy at his development) aren't much more encouraging. Otherwise he absolutely has all the tools to become a 2nd line C in the NHL.

This is pretty much how I see it with him. He has absolutely wonderful tools to become at least a 2nd line center in the NHL. His skating is magnificent for his size and he has already a pretty good shot too. His hockey sense is a bit questionable in my opinion, but it could also have to do with his lazy attitude and occasional lack of intensity on the ice.

He is still quite raw physically and he has a lot of frame to fill. Unfortunately the bad news I have heard about his attitude towards hard training makes me doubt if he will ever become an NHL player at all.

If he only had the professional attitude, the ambition and the smarts towards his development that Laine and Aho have, I think only the sky would be the limit for him as a player in a couple of years. But this difference in their attitudes is exactly the biggest reason why Aho and Laine are already playing in the NHL with great success and Hintz might never even be an NHL player. I sure hope that I'm wrong with my doubts though.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
You know, some of us have actually watched him play to draw our conclusions.

I never said you or anyone didn't... I was going off the fact that someone asked why all the hate and the answer they got was he was lazy and only got 2 point in the series they lost. Had they answered that he didn't look interested all year then that would have been different but they just used the one series, which he followed up with a 5 point performance.

That's why I asked

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I never said you or anyone didn't... I was going off the fact that someone asked why all the hate and the answer they got was he was lazy and only got 2 point in the series they lost. Had they answered that he didn't look interested all year then that would have been different but they just used the one series, which he followed up with a 5 point performance.

That's why I asked
The recent performances of him sums quite well what is like as a player. Invisible through 5 games, then the next game is absolutely dominating. If he just could show up as like that more often... more north-south movement opposed to west-east, intensity and consistent effort = top 6 C potential in the NHL. He's a chance to be so much more than what he is now. Hopefully he proves that in the next season.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

That's why I asked

He hasn't really developed as hoped. Still looks the same as he did 2 years ago. All the tools are there but something is just missing. Maybe it's hockey iq thing or he isn't just as skilled as previously thought. Everytime i've seen him he just doesn't look like a NHLer.

Still he is only 20 maybe he will figure it out in couple of years.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Nowadays I see Hintz much in the same light as I see Erik Haula; speedy defensively reliable center who can provide some secondary scoring. Hintz might have a bit more talent than Haula, but I honestly think he won't be scoring more than 40-45 points per season in the NHL in his prime. Nonetheless, I still think he is a fairly safe bet to make it to the NHL in a few years though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad