C/LW Roope Hintz (2015, 49th, DAL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
So he has one bad series as a 20 year old and people start saying he is lazy and won't make the NHL? Kid had a really good year despite starting injured and his numbers suggest he could probably step into the NHL next year in a bottom 6 role or get top line AHL minutes

One of the "experts" on Finnish TV went off on a mini-tirade about him a while ago, and shortly thereafter a lot of curiously similar criticism started popping up in this thread. An interesting coincidence to be sure.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
One of the "experts" on Finnish TV went off on a mini-tirade about him a while ago, and shortly thereafter a lot of curiously similar criticism started popping up in this thread. An interesting coincidence to be sure.

Oh please. Like that has anything at all to do with how people here see him as a player. I for example am an Ilves fan and saw him pretty much play already when he still played in Ilves and these problems that have been brought up could be seen even then. Of course he was so young that it wasn't so alarming at that time yet. But unfortunately he hasn't developed very much from those times, so it is now much more worrying to see him having pretty much the same weaknesses. He has gained at least some strength, but not nearly as much as you could hope for a talent like him to do in a couple of years. It can be seen from his frame that he hasn't been training too hard his strength so far.

And it is definitely not just that one expert whom has been bringing up his lazyness and lack of dedication to develop himself. It has been brought up by almost every expert or commentator that I have heard commenting on his play in the games that I have seen him play in HIFK and also in the national team this season and the junior national team last season.

Did it occur to you that maybe all of us just have a pretty accurate view of what his weaknesses really are?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Oh please. Like that has anything at all to do with how people here see him as a player. I for example am an Ilves fan and saw him pretty much play already when he still played in Ilves and these problems that have been brought up could be seen even then. Of course he was so young that it wasn't so alarming at that time yet. But unfortunately he hasn't developed very much from those times, so it is now much more worrying to see him having pretty much the same weaknesses. He has gained at least some strength, but not nearly as much as you could hope for a talent like him to do in a couple of years. It can be seen from his frame that he hasn't been training too hard his strength so far.

And it is definitely not just that one expert whom has been bringing up his lazyness and lack of dedication to develop himself. It has been brought up by almost every expert or commentator that I have heard commenting on his play in the games that I have seen him play in HIFK and also in the national team this season and the junior national team last season.

Did it occur to you that maybe all of us just have a pretty accurate view of what his weaknesses really are?

It really has something to do with it. It happens literally all the time; some guy who has a little bit of credibility and a lot of media coverage says something about a player and pretty soon a whole lot of people agree and thus a new discourse has been born. It happens every day and on every topic imaginable. People tend to adopt certain discourses if they are already somehow predisposed towards it.

Believe me, I am an academically trained historian, I deal with discourse analysis a lot. :sarcasm:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It really has something to do with it. It happens literally all the time; some guy who has a little bit of credibility and a lot of media coverage says something about a player and pretty soon a whole lot of people agree and thus a new discourse has been born. It happens every day and on every topic imaginable. People tend to adopt certain discourses if they are already somehow predisposed towards it.

Believe me, I am an academically trained historian, I deal with discourse analysis a lot. :sarcasm:

Maybe that applies to some sheepish masses. But thank God there are a lot of completely individual people who don't care jackshiiit if the others agree with them or not. I am one of those people for sure, as I have absolutely no need to agree with others about issues. Sure it's fine to agree also on something, if your opinions really truly and individually match, but I for sure don't NEED that to happen. I use my own mind to make my point, and I couldn't care less about any kind of consensus, if it is against how I truly see things. Sure others can think how they think, but I don't have to change my view on something, just because some other opinion becomes popular and the others don't like my opinion.

Sure I can change my views and opinions too, but for that just popularity, or an acknowledged expert or two will not be by themselves enough. I need to get a clear logical explanation with stone cold facts why the other opinion might be after all better.

I have seen Roope Hintz play in a lot of games for already several years and all that time he has appeared to me as a fast and very talented and skilled player, whom unfortunately lacks a certain drive and intensity. His physical development and his interviews by themselves already tell that the dude has some serious issues with consistency and ambition to develop himself. He just simply seems like a talented but lazy young hockey player. I have formed these opinions mostly during the last two years by strictly what I have seen and heard from him, and no dude or dudes commenting on tv have affected one bit how I see Hintz as a player.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland

It is possible. It is also possible that at least some posters were influenced to at least some degree by that commentator, given that some of his points are expressed here practically verbatim. Since both possiblities exist, I feel that it is important for our international friends to be aware of this part of the discourse, which is otherwise inaccessible to them. I do not see how bringing this to their attention is objectionable.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Does him signing an ELC and playing in the AHL squash this "he isnt motivated to come to the NHL" talk? I feel like this is a pretty string show that he is in fact motivated and with him having the skills in place he might not spend a ton of time in the AHL before he gets a call up

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Does him signing an ELC and playing in the AHL squash this "he isnt motivated to come to the NHL" talk? I feel like this is a pretty string show that he is in fact motivated and with him having the skills in place he might not spend a ton of time in the AHL before he gets a call up

Lets see. So far this does not change anything that I have pointed about him having attitude problems and problems with lack of intensity and consistency on the ice. Of course if he plays well in the AHL and after all manages to get a spot in the NHL team, I will probably have to change my mind on him. But until that my opinion on him will not change one bit. Hopefully he will prove my opinions wrong though.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Lets see. So far this does not change anything that I have pointed about him having attitude problems and problems with lack of intensity and consistency on the ice. Of course if he plays well in the AHL and after all manages to get a spot in the NHL team, I will probably have to change my mind on him. But until that my opinion on him will not change one bit. Hopefully he will prove my opinions wrong though.

I'm not an expert, but my problem with this claims is how vague they are. What's a good measuring stick for "attitude problems" and/or "lack of intensity"?

Given his injuries, a slow start isn't a sign in and of itself. Once he got going, he exploded. Including a brilliant 14 point postseason. I'm no SM-Liiga aficionado, but that certainly sounds 'consistent' and 'intense'.

Didn't he lead the league in assists for the postseason?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I'm not an expert, but my problem with this claims is how vague they are. What's a good measuring stick for "attitude problems" and/or "lack of intensity"?

Given his injuries, a slow start isn't a sign in and of itself. Once he got going, he exploded. Including a brilliant 14 point postseason. I'm no SM-Liiga aficionado, but that certainly sounds 'consistent' and 'intense'.

Didn't he lead the league in assists for the postseason?

It's more about what you see on the ice and what you hear from his interviews and also what general talks there has been in the hockey community on his training motivation. You can also count 1+1 from how small his physical development has been during the last two years. He has not gained weight (muscle) much at all and is really way too skinny and weak to be strong enough in several kind of puck battles on the ice.

But part of it is also that he plain becomes passive way too often on the ice and wanders too often off the plays. Then again he shows occasional flashes of brilliance. I would just hope he would show these flashes way more often.

Sure he played a pretty nice post season, at least statistically. But it is still good to notice that his point totals got completely inflated in the final game which was the bronze medal game which most teams and players see as a not so meaningful game. Especially defensive play is often horrible in those games, as it was again this time too. He scored 1+4=5 points in the bronze medal game while his team HIFK lost to JYP 5-6. Before that he was almost invisible in the most important series against Tappara.

I'm not just sold on him that much although I have been a fan of his already pretty long. He is just a quite frustrating player for a fan like me whom is quite critical on the real weaknesses I see in players. I have been also a fan of Rantanen and Puljujärvi too, but they are similar way frustrating, as they also have some quite serious weaknesses that make me quite critical towards them. Hintz's weaknesses are unfortunately in my opinion more harmful if he seriously wants to play in the NHL. But hopefully he can prove me wrong.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
It's more about what you see on the ice and what you hear from his interviews and also what general talks there has been in the hockey community on his training motivation. You can also count 1+1 from how small his physical development has been during the last two years. He has not gained weight (muscle) much at all and is really way too skinny and weak to be strong enough in several kind of puck battles on the ice.

But part of it is also that he plain becomes passive way too often on the ice and wanders too often off the plays. Then again he shows occasional flashes of brilliance. I would just hope he would show these flashes way more often.

Sure he played a pretty nice post season, at least statistically. But it is still good to notice that his point totals got completely inflated in the final game which was the bronze medal game which most teams and players see as a not so meaningful game. Especially defensive play is often horrible in those games, as it was again this time too. He scored 1+4=5 points in the bronze medal game while his team HIFK lost to JYP 5-6. Before that he was almost invisible in the most important series against Tappara.

I'm not just sold on him that much although I have been a fan of his already pretty long. He is just a quite frustrating player for a fan like me whom is quite critical on the real weaknesses I see in players. I have been also a fan of Rantanen and Puljujärvi too, but they are similar way frustrating, as they also have some quite serious weaknesses that make me quite critical towards them. Hintz's weaknesses are unfortunately in my opinion more harmful if he seriously wants to play in the NHL. But hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Appreciate your input (honestly).

I would call into question some of these "factors" though. For example, the fact that he hasn't bulked up is hardly a example of inept conditioning for two reasons. One, some guys are just naturally lanky, so no matter what, their body type is gonna stay the same. Two, adding mass is not a benefit in and of itself. John Klingberg is rail thin but it sort of adds to his awkward mobility.

Honka hasn't noticeably bulked up either (though he's certainly bigger than when he was drafted). But I wouldn't want him to get any bigger either: Honka's gonna be a gem. Hell he already is.

And "meaningless game" or not, how often do guys put up 5 points in a meaningless game? You could be right. But as a Stars fan I'm excited about his opportunity in Dallas, and I can't imagine that not motivating him to perform above expectations. Especially since the organization talks about him like he could bypass the AHL (Dallas is gonna be light on wingers if Sharp and Hemsky are gone).

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
One of the Stars better prospects. Excited to see him debut soon enough.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Seems unlikely he plays tonight as the player he was called up for did participate in morning skate. Guess it depends how they feel after that.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Nice! I know I have been quite harsh at him, but I do definitely hope that he proves me wrong and manages to become a really good NHL player. I did like his motivated and sincere ways in that video. Really seems like he has gotten his stuff pretty much together. A couple of years ago he seemed really like becoming quite full of himself and having an attitude, but there was not even a bit of that in that video. I’m really rooting for him to make it after seeing that. It really seems like he has had a change of attitude.

Reactions: Hokinaittii

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Bossed the AHL Playoffs and has built on that in the preseason. No doubt in my mind that he has made the team - and likely in a top-6 role.

Reactions: Gsus

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
It would be great.

Stars could already ice 3 Finn Dmen, I wonder how Honka is doing? Is he a TOP6 Dman to start the year?

Honka (and Spezza) will be the biggest beneficiaries of getting away from Hitch. He's got the talent, just had the worst possible coach to utilize it. He'll be in the top-6 for sure.

My guess at the D pairings:

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Johns
Methot-Honka

Honka and Johns could flip, as could Lindell and Heiskanen. Not sure how Monty wants to roll things.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Rantanen 2016-2017? - Now Hintz might never become what Rantanen is at the moment but....
if he is a Dallas Star from the get go and plays top 6 minutes, 10-20 goals isn't complete impossibility, right?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hintz should be on the Stars NHL roster and ingame on opening night . He's much better than some of the spares Dallas iced on the fourth line last year. Now where exactly is he going to play ? Not sure yet . For a top 6 role he's going to need to beat out someone like say Spezza . Which isn't impossible .

I think he starts the season as fourth line Center or Winger .

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Honka (and Spezza) will be the biggest beneficiaries of getting away from Hitch. He's got the talent, just had the worst possible coach to utilize it. He'll be in the top-6 for sure.

My guess at the D pairings:

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Johns
Methot-Honka

Honka and Johns could flip, as could Lindell and Heiskanen. Not sure how Monty wants to roll things.
Looks good. Here's hoping to Hintz take a spot right away. He could become a great player, he has pretty much everything.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Very strong game from Hintz yesterday playing with Benn/Radulov.

"I think he is NHL ready," Stars captain Jamie Benn said of Hintz. "I thought he played a great game tonight."

"I just tried to play my best," said Hintz, who is battling for a roster spot with Dallas. "I just try to do my best every night and play better every game and play hard. I think that is the best way to do it."

"He was good. The kid skates well, and he's a big body. He plays the game fast, and he's an easy guy to play with. It seemed like he fit in well." -- Stars captain Jamie Benn on Roope Hintz

"His game? I know it starts with a good set of hair on him. He's got a strong hair game." -- Benn on what he knew about Hintz before this preseason

His goal and assist:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad