C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Everybody is saying he’s NHL ready, but I still think he needs some time in the minors to refine his game. I think he can be a great player, but it might take him some time
I think it just depends on perspective. He is ready the same way Chinakhov was last year - doesn't mean he is going to be successful, just that he isn't going to completely drown. Thinking that's not actually ready in the real sense of the word is a very legit opinion.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Everybody is saying he’s NHL ready, but I still think he needs some time in the minors to refine his game. I think he can be a great player, but it might take him some time

I watched all of KJ's pre-season shifts and I didn't see much needing refinement. He's improved on a lot of details. He wasn't missing anything at center ice other than faceoff ability. He'd still obviously benefit from getting stronger but I can't think of much else for him to fix in the minors. He's ready but not obviously better than Jenner or Roslovic at top six center, so he's in limbo right now. On last year's Jackets this version of KJ would have easily beat Sillinger for a center job.

I think it just depends on perspective. He is ready the same way Chinakhov was last year - doesn't mean he is going to be successful, just that he isn't going to completely drown. Thinking that's not actually really in a real sense of the word is a very legit opinion.

Much further ahead of last year's Chinakhov. I didn't think Chinny was ready last year (though he looks great now).

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I thought he looked alright tonight at center, except in faceoffs (3/11). Should get another chance tomorrow whether it's with Laine and JG or some other winger(s).

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Scored a goal in garbage time. Was a nice shot though. Shows a lot of skills and you can tell when he gets bigger he will be a stud.

But overall tonight he was just OK, at best

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Scored a goal in garbage time. Was a nice shot though. Shows a lot of skills and you can tell when he gets bigger he will be a stud.

I agree, talent and skill wise he's already there but needs to get used to NHL speed as well as get stronger.

He will be a top line player for sure

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I agree, talent and skill wise he's already there but needs to get used to NHL speed as well as get stronger.

He will be a top line player for sure
He is guy who tries things in volume and sees what works and what does not work. Everything might not work at the beginning but things will come to him as long as he can keep trying his stuff.

There is a high chance that he will figure it out on how to be an effective first liner in NHL too. He has all the tools for it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think if Laine and Gaudreau weren't in a funk then KJ could have had a few assists last night. He was drawing defenders and buying them time and they just didn't do anything with it.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Still don't know if his best position is at C. But he's looking better there as time goes on. Encouraging player, and one of the only bright spots for the CBJ this year

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Still don't know if his best position is at C. But he's looking better there as time goes on. Encouraging player, and one of the only bright spots for the CBJ this year

Johnson, Marchenko& Jiricek for Columbus organization.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
He's definitely going to have some growing pains after playing wing at Michigan and for Canada the last few years, but I don't think he's looked out of place at center at all. His IQ and playmaking abilities should let him thrive if he can keep up physically.

Johnson, Marchenko& Jiricek for Columbus organization.
I think Chinakov should be on the list as well, he was struggling point wise early on but when he was healthy he looked very good and constantly on the cusp of scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad