C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
You see some improvements in his neutral zone play

Pearson and Muckalt noted that in exit interviews about biggest area to work on along with getting stronger.

North-South and take what they give you on entries........... thats the goal

got in trouble for the wolverines on breakouts and neutral-zone play going east-west and forcing offsides. Beniers was primary entry target on the line.

pretty creative player in the offensive zone and around the hashes

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Reminds me of Barzal and Mittelstadt at the same age. Obviously, if you're CBJ fan you'd prefer he follow the career path of Barzal.

Decent height, but he seems pretty light, and not a player that would be able to win board battles even in the AHL, nvm the NHL. Nice hands, imagination, and vision, though.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Very similar to Mittelstadt. I'm interested to see how CBJ develops him/plays him.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Personally I think Johnson has more skill than Mittlestadt at the same age. And to me his skating is better.

Mittlestadt couldn’t do a pull up either. Which he KNEW he would have to do at the NHL combine. Mittlestadt advanced stats were never as good as KJ’s:

Plus, Johnson is a guy who LOVES the game. Always the first guy on, last one off the ice. Not worried.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Personally I think Johnson has more skill than Mittlestadt at the same age. And to me his skating is better.

Mittlestadt couldn’t do a pull up either. Which he KNEW he would have to do at the NHL combine. Mittlestadt advanced stats were never as good as KJ’s:

Plus, Johnson is a guy who LOVES the game. Always the first guy on, last one off the ice. Not worried.

Most hockey players love the sport

Reactions: 57special

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Most hockey players love the sport
So you ignore the meat of the post just to pick out that part? Mittlestadt is a pretty loose comparisn and was seen as a guy that needed more development time but was rushed by a terrible team.
Also Id be intriqued to know how many NHLers truely love the sport vs play it simply because they are good at it

Corso

Aug 13, 2018

Add to the fact that Mittlestadt never possessed the hockey sense that Johnson has

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The thing that stands out to me here is how much better KJ has been in this tournament than in the NCAA by a few metrics. His weaknesses are disappearing and some of them are now strengths. He had low ixG and shot volume in the NCAA, low xG, and some terrible puck battle stats. Now he is #1 in the tournament in shots, ixG, and seems to be winning pucks at a very high rate, and must have a very very high xG rate. Some of that might just be not facing twenty-somethings, but it looks to me like he's become more athletic and worked on the art of winning puck battles.

There are a lot of players that love the game, but it's the fact that we can see so many improvements that best shows his commitment. It's funny though, Jack Han wrote that article about helping KJ with his one timer and praised his passion for improving. His one-timer? Still not reliable.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
In what was technically 1 season Johnson put up 7 points in 10 games at the WC, 5 in 5 at the Olympics and 9 in 7 at the WJC capped off by the gold medal winning goal. Consider this Columbus fan not worried about if this guy is going to be a player or not

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
In what was technically 1 season Johnson put up 7 points in 10 games at the WC, 5 in 5 at the Olympics and 9 in 7 at the WJC capped off by the gold medal winning goal. Consider this Columbus fan not worried about if this guy is going to be a player or not
In a world junior championship where people “expected more” from Kent Johnson, he finished the tournament tied for 5th in overall scoring and was over a PPG 😄

CorporateVrabs

Sep 23, 2022
In a world junior championship where people “expected more” from Kent Johnson, he finished the tournament tied for 5th in overall scoring and was over a PPG 😄
Agreed funny how he put up numbers even though people though he had a “disappointing“ tournament.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

It's incredibly easy to put up numbers at the World Juniors for Team Canada if you are playing on the top PP.

I'm someone who had Johnson high on my list in 2021 and I was disappointed in his play.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's incredibly easy to put up numbers at the World Juniors for Team Canada if you are playing on the top PP.

I'm someone who had Johnson high on my list in 2021 and I was disappointed in his play.
What? Basically hes a disappointment because he didnt rack up points against the weaker teams like other top scorers then.

After the round robin he outproduced MacTavish. As a playmaker in a summer tournament where noones at their best and the timing isnt there he set up tons of chances for teammates that werent finished. His play was solid

Last edited:

HOCK3Y

Jun 3, 2015
Screenshot_20220820-092526_Chrome.jpg

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Columbus PP is going to be really fun to watch with Gaudreau, Laine, Johnson, Werenski and Boqvist.

I think he’s a better talent than Middlestadt. He reminds me of Zegras in that he will be able to translate his fancy style to NHL while playing smart hockey when required.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Really hoping he can have a successful NHL career, with his creativity he brings a different element then a lot of top Canadian players do.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad