C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He had every chance to develop, he's just never took advantage, because he's not that good. Can't blame coaching when he's now on coach #3.
I thought he would be at least a 70-80 point guy in this league, I never quite fully bought the superstar talk but I thought his game was at least good for those numbers.

But you're right...........................he's just not that good.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I thought he would be at least a 70-80 point guy in this league, I never quite fully bought the superstar talk but I thought his game was at least good for those numbers.

But you're right...........................he's just not that good.
I thought the same, I didn't see a superstar but I thought he'd be a solid 1st line winger. My draft year comparison was a less physical Landeskog, but it looks like even that was overrating him.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I thought the same, I didn't see a superstar but I thought he'd be a solid 1st line winger. My draft year comparison was a less physical Landeskog, but it looks like even that was overrating him.
When I watch him play I try to think of some areas of growth for him based on what he's got............and I find them difficult to find, looks almost plateaued to me.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Obviously this level what is played in the AHL is not the correct one for him
same goes to Bemström

Blue Jackets gonna call them bot up very soon, yes?
I know Kent struggled in his sophomore season in the NHL so far
but yeah.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
same goes to Bemström

but yeah.

I really don't have a problem with KJ and Bemstrom dominating the AHL. It's a good league to try things and expand your game.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
same goes to Bemström

but yeah.
Just turned 21. Is he really being written off already?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Agreed. Liked him a lot coming out of Michigan. Didn't expect so many negative comments.
People expect constant linear progression. For a "small ish" skill guy it's gonna take a little time and adjustment. He needs to build up some confidence in the AHL. It certainly won't hurt any.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
KJ too good for the AHL, maybe the coach hasn't deployed him correctly.
He didnt start out well, I dont know if hes a slow starter because last year he played a lot of hockey leading up to the season and hit the ground running. His confidence was low to begin the year and he wasnt making plays. Absolutely 0 wrong with dominating in a lesser league for awhile

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He didnt start out well, I dont know if hes a slow starter because last year he played a lot of hockey leading up to the season and hit the ground running. His confidence was low to begin the year and he wasnt making plays. Absolutely 0 wrong with dominating in a lesser league for awhile
Once you hitting 2ppg in the AHL, it's time to get the call.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Once you hitting 2ppg in the AHL, it's time to get the call.
They're trying to get him reps at center, just because he's scoring doesn't mean that he's doing all the small things correctly. He should over season in the AHL while they try to fix the big club. He's not magically going to be inserted into the lineup and fix everything. Wouldn't mind if they sent Jiricek down as well. Stack that AHL team and let them take a run. That would be much more beneficial for their development and confidence.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
They're trying to get him reps at center, just because he's scoring doesn't mean that he's doing all the small things correctly. He should over season in the AHL while they try to fix the big club. He's not magically going to be inserted into the lineup and fix everything. Wouldn't mind if they sent Jiricek down as well. Stack that AHL team and let them take a run. That would be much more beneficial for their development and confidence.
Should giving him reps at C at the NHL level and send them all down for an AHL playoff run at the end of the season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Should giving him reps at C at the NHL level and send them all down for an AHL playoff run at the end of the season.

It’s far better for him to be getting the reps and building back up the confidence in the A than trying to make the move to C at the highest level while ”struggling”

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
They are trying to develop him and help him build up his confidence?
Yeah. Sitting is "best for their development." Or we have to develop other sub 40 point players to see if they can become 40 point players, rather than using the one we have already.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
So Bemstrom up also? I dont know where things changed that development was seen as a bad thing. People know what the AHL is right? There is a reason you can send these kids down without waivers

Exactly. Let Johnson take his course. It's not going to hurt the kid his talent isn't going to get drained away. I like what management is doing with him.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Looks like his confidence is still good. His peers who I think are in the same tier as him are McTavish and Johnston. Both spent last year in the NHL taking reps as 3rd line C and worked their way up the line up.

At some point we are going to have to say this is a Columbus development/deployment issue not a KJ issue.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Looks like his confidence is still good. His peers who I think are in the same tier as him are McTavish and Johnston. Both spent last year in the NHL taking reps as 3rd line C and worked their way up the line up.

At some point we are going to have to say this is a Columbus development/deployment issue not a KJ issue.

McTavish and Johnston didn't turn 20 until after Dec 31st. Both either had to stay in juniors or be kept with the NHL club last year. The AHL was not an option for either one as per NHL-CHL agreement.

McTavish didn't start out at 3C. He started as 2LW. After 10 games or so, the experiment of McTavish playing center happened. Mac started off as 4C and played like 6 minutes total. Then he worked himself up to 3C, 2C, and eventually 1C for about 10 games. He would fluctuated between 2C and 1C for the rest of the season. Zegras would be playing wing for some games, which is why the Ducks fell in love with C Carlsson. Carlsson and McTavish are similar such that they've been playing wing before the draft, but played center at WJC competitions.

Speaking of playing wing with regular team and center at international games, I don't recall Johnson ever playing center at international games, just wing. Johnson also played wing in college. The last time he played center was probably in the BCHL, his D-1 season.

I think playing center in the AHL will be beneficial for Johnson as that versatility could keep him in the NHL. Zegras started off as wing in the AHL and then wing at the NHL. Afterwards, he was sent back down to the AHL to play center. Z was so good at center that he got called up again to play center in the NHL. Just like Z, Johnson has some serious individual skills.

Reactions: Monk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad