C Jay O'Brien - Charlotte Checkers, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How is playing in a lesser league (BCHL) against the same age group any better?

If he goes to the USHL or BCHL the most important thing is he keeps his NCAA eligibility & has three years left of it when he re-joins the NCAA in 20-21.

If he goes to the CHL (QMJHL) next year he has to move on after that year as he’ll be too old eligibility wise to play there in 20-21.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why'd he struggle so hard out of highschool? For example, Tufte went from highschool to NCAA and did OK in his freshman year. He was also a 98 birth year playing NCAA in 16-17 while O'Brien is a 99 birth year playing NCAA in 18-19..
MNHS is very competitive, for the most part. Even then, all but the most talented HS players tend to put in a bit of time in the USHL. tufte was a huge kid who dominated HS with his size, but he had a hard time for the first while in college, playing against men in a good league.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
If he goes to the USHL or BCHL the most important thing is he keeps his NCAA eligibility & has three years left of it when he re-joins the NCAA in 20-21.

If he goes to the CHL (QMJHL) next year he has to move on after that year as he’ll be too old eligibility wise to play there in 20-21.

Well sure....and if I was Mrs. O'Brien I would be so proud of him to choose the right route for his college career.

But I'm a Flyer fan who wants him to develop into an NHL player....and this just seems like taking a step backwards.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Well sure....and if I was Mrs. O'Brien I would be so proud of him to choose the right route for his college career.

But I'm a Flyer fan who wants him to develop into an NHL player....and this just seems like taking a step backwards.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to give him as much developmental runway as possible.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Is it though? He has one year of the Q then has to find another league to play in. In one year’s time will he be good enough to jump to the AHL & will the Flyers want to even sign him in that time?

Sure it’s a temporary step back but then you get three additional years in the NCAA after that to develop if need be. If he had two years to play in the Q I don’t think it would be a question but that isn’t the case. It’s just one, is his standing really going to change in that one year? I don’t really think so personally.

Ideally he would just stuck it out at Providence but for whatever reason that wasn’t in the cards for him.

Reactions: Dux917

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well... know hes young but this move screams BUST. BCHL in his draft +2...

yikes
As a late birthday, that's terrible. Being an NHL drafted prospect in the CHL as a 99' is terrible, but being a 99' in the BCHL is a death kneel, unheard of really.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Classic case of a player that was playing prep hockey as a senior (most good players year junior/senior season for USHL or junior hockey) and dominated against 14 and 15 year old kids. Put up big stats and team reaches for him in 1st round. Philly scouts have to be on the hook for this pick as they must have watched a '99 birth year play against 02' players and came away blown away and didnt put in perspective the age/level of competition factor. Still a long way to go in his development but needs to turn it around and fast. He will have to DOMINATE in BCHL and then hook onto to a NCAA program and restart his college career in 2020...

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Classic case of a player that was playing prep hockey as a senior (most good players year junior/senior season for USHL or junior hockey) and dominated against 14 and 15 year old kids. Put up big stats and team reaches for him in 1st round. Philly scouts have to be on the hook for this pick as they must have watched a '99 birth year play against 02' players and came away blown away and didnt put in perspective the age/level of competition factor. Still a long way to go in his development but needs to turn it around and fast. He will have to DOMINATE in BCHL and then hook onto to a NCAA program and restart his college career in 2020...
Obrien was youngest player on his ncaa team while your post sounds like he is an adult playing against teenagers. 16-17 played USHL at 16 against guys 20.
It’s a 2018 pick, got to be earliest bust call in here.
He could very well do well in BCHL and go pro right away skipping college, who knows?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
As a late birthday, that's terrible. Being an NHL drafted prospect in the CHL as a 99' is terrible, but being a 99' in the BCHL is a death kneel, unheard of really.
Death kneel? newhook about to be drafted 1st round out of BCHL is 14 months younger than OBrien. Early 2001 vs late 99.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
When do the Flyers lose his rights? Is it still in three years time?
Why wait? They already surrendered his rights, fired all scouts who didn’t know he was 3 yrs older than other kids and also fired Hextall who is ultimately responsable for this tragedy.

Was he drafted in the Canadian hockey league?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Death kneel? newhook about to be drafted 1st round out of BCHL is 14 months younger than OBrien. Early 2001 vs late 99.
Newhook is in his 17 year old season, and will be leaving the BCHL at 18 (as 95% of legit NHL prospect do) for NCAA. He will be entering his 3rd year in NCAA (or AHL/NHL) in his 20 year old season, in which O'Brien will be in his 20 year old season next year next year.

O'Brien will be in his 20 year old season...Can't see the difference there not sure what to tell you. Newhook is in his 2nd year of eligibility out of 5, O'Brien will be in his 5th out of 5

Guys literally age out of the BCHL after their 19 year old season year because teams are only allowed a few 20's per team

Last edited:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Why wait? They already surrendered his rights, fired all scouts who didn’t know he was 3 yrs older than other kids and also fired Hextall who is ultimately responsable for this tragedy.

Was he drafted in the Canadian hockey league?
Your love for flyers is truly bizarre as a supposedly Habs fan.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Your love for flyers is truly bizarre as a supposedly Habs fan.
I must have told you 10 times: I live in Mtl but follow both Habs and Flyers. Such people drinking different koolaid do exist.

These guys should read scouting reports and learn ncaa transfer rules to understand that unusual move better.

Reactions: Devonator

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Legend, why the interest in Flyers prospect O’Brien? I don’t click on threads about let’s say Coyotes prospects.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I must have told you 10 times: I live in Mtl but follow both Habs and Flyers. Such people drinking different koolaid do exist.

These guys should read scouting reports and learn ncaa transfer rules to understand that unusual move better.
But why shit on everything habs related and praise the flyers nonstop?

Anyways, obrien is a strange case of NCAA to BCHL. Strange decision.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
he couldnt even get on with a CHL team????

Well, looks like a swing and a miss on this 1st round pick

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
But why **** on everything habs related and praise the flyers nonstop?

Anyways, obrien is a strange case of NCAA to BCHL. Strange decision.
Yeah you’re saying that often too. Not bashing Habs in here now and not even praising OBrien one bit.

Agree totally that it is unusual. But these guys that are not Habs fans as far as I can tell are so eager to call his death that I came in.

Reactions: Legend123

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

If he is indeed drafted by lets say Val D’or I could understand! Sorry for people in Val D’or.

But maybe he’s just not even good enough to play in chl

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010

I wouldn’t be surprised if his rights are owned by a QMJHL team, which few American prospects go to

I’m more surprised he didn’t go USHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad