C Jay O'Brien - Charlotte Checkers, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I wouldn’t be surprised if his rights are owned by a QMJHL team, which few American prospects go to

I’m more surprised he didn’t go USHL.
Another odd choice. He's from Mass as well...why go all the way to BC?

Something just seems off....are you telling me a USHL team doesn't want him?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I wouldn’t be surprised if his rights are owned by a QMJHL team, which few American prospects go to

I’m more surprised he didn’t go USHL.
He did in 16-17.
Sportsnet has a nice article on the reasons he didn’t stay in USHL after short stint. It also give scouting report and combine results who were done after internet was made available in 2018. :)

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Haha this is getting better by the minute!
hahah omg like SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not everyone sits there and looks up every aspect and reason for player decisions. Instead of acting like a douchebag, why not just post the information we have asked about?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
hahah omg like SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not everyone sits there and looks up every aspect and reason for player decisions. Instead of acting like a *****ebag, why not just post the information we have asked about?
Not sure what you want to know. It’s all out there for you to see. 10 players (half) from last year’s Penticton BCHL team were Americans, and your 2 other questions were about him not being able to find a team in both CHL and USHL.

I know nothing more than others know. I’m just far from ready to write him off.

This is old news. Why all the sudden burst of drama in here?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
He would lose NCAA eligibility

Yes, I understand that, but his goal should be to make the NHL as soon as possible. Unless he thinks he doesn't have a chance at the NHL and just wants the free education, then sure stay NCAA eligible. But he's a 1st round NHL draft pick....at this point, he should be giving himself the best chance at playing in the NHL, which would be in the CHL for this upcoming season not slumming it in the BCHL and hoping to get back in the NCAA as a 21 year old

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yes, I understand that, but his goal should be to make the NHL as soon as possible. Unless he thinks he doesn't have a chance at the NHL and just wants the free education, then sure stay NCAA eligible. But he's a 1st round NHL draft pick....at this point, he should be giving himself the best chance at playing in the NHL, which would be in the CHL for this upcoming season not slumming it in the BCHL and hoping to get back in the NCAA as a 21 year old
This is an incredibly dumb take.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think he'll go back to the NCAA following year - which makes the BCHL odd. Though he does need to regain his confidence, so putting up "easier" numbers may help him. If he is able to stay on the ice for next season - he'll sign and be in the AHL the following year. Going backwards - "back" to the BCHL, then back to NCAA, doesn't help his progression.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't think he'll go back to the NCAA following year - which makes the BCHL odd. Though he does need to regain his confidence, so putting up "easier" numbers may help him. If he is able to stay on the ice for next season - he'll sign and be in the AHL the following year. Going backwards - "back" to the BCHL, then back to NCAA, doesn't help his progression.
There may be like a handful of players in the leagues history to go from the BCHL to the AHL, and none of note since the turn of 2000.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Now even old-man O'Brien knows he has no shot at the NHL... You all know grandpa Jay is younger than 4 of his first-round peers and born same month as 3 others right?

As far as Americans having to go allll the way to BC to find a jersey, half the Penticton team last year was from USA, most from Minnesota. Lots of guys from Ontario too. Isnt it amazing?

Some wicked team names in that league: Trail Smoke Eaters???

Bozak played in that league at 20. Followed by 2 yrs in NCAA.

Maybe Hextall wanted to swing a little more than usual since he had drafted Farabee 5 picks earlier. Just maybe.

OBrien was ranked as 2nd-3rd rounder in most recognized publications. Some even late 1st round like Hockey Prospect.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Now even old-man O'Brien knows he has no shot at the NHL... You all know grandpa Jay is younger than 4 of his first-round peers and born same month as 3 others right?

As far as Americans having to go allll the way to BC to find a jersey, half the Penticton team last year was from USA, most from Minnesota. Lots of guys from Ontario too. Isnt it amazing?

Some wicked team names in that league: Trail Smoke Eaters???

Bozak played in that league at 20. Followed by 2 yrs in NCAA.

Maybe Hextall wanted to swing a little more than usual since he had drafted Farabee 5 picks earlier. Just maybe.

OBrien was ranked as 2nd-3rd rounder in most recognized publications. Some even late 1st round like Hockey Prospect.
Bozak put up 128 points as a 20 year old, and wasn't on the radar of any NHL teams until 2 years later as a 22 year old NCAA free agent. I can guarantee O'Brien doesn't come remotely close to those numbers.

He's doing the exact same thing his Providence college teammate Scott Conway did, except Conway was further ahead at the same age, while being undrafted, and he had to go to the BCHL because he was kicked off Penn after a 26 point 19 year old season compared to O'Brien's 5 point season. Conway led the BCHL in scoring that year with 116 points. He's gotten no NHL offers since completing his NCAA career this year, signed an ATO with the Providence Bruins.

If you can't lead the BCHL in scoring as an overaged junior, or at least score a very extreme significant amount, you aren't on track to be an NHL player.

I don't think there are any comparables, as I don't think there are any other already drafted 20 year olds that have played in the BCHL, as they all move on to NCAA in their 19 year old season at the latest, usually their 18 year old season..

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Digged this for your reading pleasure: Rights remain with Phila until June 2022 regardless of road he takes because he was a student this year (never heard that one before), Shawinigan owns his QJMHL rights, has 3 more yrs of NCAA eligibility, was unhappy with how his head injury suffered at the beginning of season was dealt with. Thanks google.
edit: The Philadelphia Flyers prospect has decided to leave the College after what he described as a “tough” year in terms of injuries and playing style. Wanting to “play more games” and “have fun playing hockey again,”

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
or that might be it right there: "In four years of prep hockey, split between Thayer Academy and Dexter School in Brookline, Massachusetts, O’Brien scored 86 goals and 102 assists in 120 games. According to NHL.com, O’Brien was coached by former Flyers winger Tony Amonte — whose son Tristan Amonte (who also played at Thayer Academy) will suit up for the Vees as well for the upcoming season."

Play more games, have fun and no school for 1 year.

Maybe Jay is not a Princeton type of dude.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I don’t get all the hate, O’Brien was always a project/upside pick, he was never drafted to be a guy that’s in the NHL at 19/20/21... if going back to the BCHL for a year, then returning to college for a season or 2 and turning pro at 22ish years old, is what it takes to help him reach his potential then I don’t see what the big deal is. Obviously this isn’t ideal but outside of going to the CHL for 1 season (not ideal IMO), or staying and suffering through another season or 2 where he clearly isn’t working out, there really isn’t many other options. He’s an upside pick, his upside is still there after a rough first season, this is a set back but it’s not the end of the world.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don’t get all the hate, O’Brien was always a project/upside pick, he was never drafted to be a guy that’s in the NHL at 19/20/21... if going back to the BCHL for a year, then returning to college for a season or 2 and turning pro at 22ish years old, is what it takes to help him reach his potential then I don’t see what the big deal is. Obviously this isn’t ideal but outside of going to the CHL for 1 season (not ideal IMO), or staying and suffering through another season or 2 where he clearly isn’t working out, there really isn’t many other options. He’s an upside pick, his upside is still there after a rough first season, this is a set back but it’s not the end of the world.

The fact that basically no relevant player ever has been in the BCHL at this age is the big deal.

Reactions: Dux917

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
So what now? 1 year in the BCHL, another 2 at college, and maybe another year after that in the AHL? As a Flyers fan this pick was an unmitigated distaster.

Reactions: Fragmuffin

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Not good enough for USDP
Not good enough for USHL
Not good enough for NCAA
Maybe not good enough for the BCHL?
----------------------------------------------

What a pick...

Last edited:

Ad