C Jay O'Brien - Charlotte Checkers, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

ness180

Jan 27, 2012
Only way this makes sense to me is that O’Brien is dead set on wanting another chance at playing college hockey. Other than that, makes no sense to go USHL let alone BCHL.

I’m a college hockey fan but for player of his potential caliber, if you need a change of scenery, should go CHL.

Reactions: TimeZone and Dux917

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Only way this makes sense to me is that O’Brien is dead set on wanting another chance at playing college hockey. Other than that, makes no sense to go USHL let alone BCHL.

I’m a college hockey fan but for player of his potential caliber, if you need a change of scenery, should go CHL.

He would only have one more year left of playing in the CHL. He’d be an overager next year so he’d have find another league if not the ECHL/AHL in 2020-2021. He was a November birthday for his draft class so he was on the older end.

He’s probably going to need those three more years of eligibility in the NCAA. As a Flyers fan I pretty much have zero expectations for him at this point.

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
So because he wants to transfer schools he has to sit out a season of NCAA right?

Makes sense to go to arguably the best Jr.A league before heading back to NCAA.

If he isn’t going back to school then this is an odd decision.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
James Greenway went to the USHL to switch colleges. Wisconsin to Maine
Jack LaFontaine went to the BCHL to switch colleges. Michigan to Minnesota

I don't really see the big deal between USHL & BCHL.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

there isn't, but people seem to forget that in order for him to play in the CHL, he would need to play in the Q and that just isn't happening for many US kids. they just do not want to play in a league/team that speaks French or has any added difficulties adjusting. I would have preferred the USHL, but it is what it is for a kid that wants to transfer. it would be interesting to see what school he picks after this, Wisconsin would be a great place to go for him with top talent coming in the next 2 seasons.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Sometimes it doesnt work out a school for many reasons so he will sit out a year and transfer. I also question why the BCHL instead of the USHL but its personal preference and it may have come down to them not loving the USHL team that owns his rights (I believe thats Youngstown) and felt he could develop better in the wide open BCHL. He will absolutely end up in a Hockey East school in 2020/21. Northeastern, BC or BU.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
there isn't, but people seem to forget that in order for him to play in the CHL, he would need to play in the Q and that just isn't happening for many US kids. they just do not want to play in a league/team that speaks French or has any added difficulties adjusting. I would have preferred the USHL, but it is what it is for a kid that wants to transfer. it would be interesting to see what school he picks after this, Wisconsin would be a great place to go for him with top talent coming in the next 2 seasons.

Exactly - New England kids have to go to the Q, that's why its really rare for a New England kid to play major junior. No body wants to get banished to some small Quebec town in the middle of nowhere...

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

O’Brien was way more touted than those two though. I dont think a 1st rounder has ever done this.

And the difference between the USHL and BCHL is that the USHL is a lot better, top to bottom, not a debate. BCHL is closer to the NAHL than it is the USHL

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Tyler Bozak is the only regular NHLer I could find who played in the BCHL in his +2 (he even played it in his +3 as well).

Not exactly shining company.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Some first round picks are just bad. See Patrick White and David Fischer.

Wish the kid the best and hope he ends up with a good college career and maybe makes it to the show to prove everyone wrong.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
O’Brien was way more touted than those two though. I dont think a 1st rounder has ever done this.

And the difference between the USHL and BCHL is that the USHL is a lot better, top to bottom, not a debate. BCHL is closer to the NAHL than it is the USHL

LOL. It's not. the BCHL is the best Junior A circuit in Canada. The BCHL and USHL are fairly close. NAHL is substantially worse. That's a horrendous comparison.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
LOL. It's not. the BCHL is the best Junior A circuit in Canada. The BCHL and USHL are fairly close. NAHL is substantially worse. That's a horrendous comparison.

I am aware that the BCHL is the best Jr A league in Canada. Its not on par with the USHL. The top players match up, but from top to bottom the USHL is significantly stronger. I didn't say the NAHL was better, I said that when you compare the 3 leagues, the BCHL is closer to the NAHL than it is the USHL.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I am aware that the BCHL is the best Jr A league in Canada. Its not on par with the USHL. The top players match up, but from top to bottom the USHL is significantly stronger. I didn't say the NAHL was better, I said that when you compare the 3 leagues, the BCHL is closer to the NAHL than it is the USHL.

I never said the BCHL is better. I said it's close.

The bolded statement is absolutely ludicrous. NAHL is essentially Canadian Junior B.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I never said the BCHL is better. I said it's close.

The bolded statement is absolutely ludicrous. NAHL is essentially Canadian Junior B.

You are so out of touch here. The NAHL has a tiny bit lower D1 commitment % than the BCHL. The NAHL has guys drafted every year. Its the 2nd best league in the US, and is better than every Jr league in North America besides the USHL and BCHL.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Pierre McGuire was obsessed with this kid. Can't wait for some radio host to ask him, what happened?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
You are so out of touch here. The NAHL has a tiny bit lower D1 commitment % than the BCHL. The NAHL has guys drafted every year. Its the 2nd best league in the US, and is better than every Jr league in North America besides the USHL and BCHL.

This post is kind of confusing, but i just noticed Daniel Briere's son was the 2nd leading scorer in the NAHL this past season. 44 goals and 89 points in 59 games, not bad. He was draft eligible last season, he's committed to Arizona State for the 2020-21 season, maybe he accelerates his eligibility and plays NCAA next year? He should be ready, maybe Buffalo or Philly draft him with a 7th rounder, Marty Brodeur style?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
This post is kind of confusing, but i just noticed Daniel Briere's son was the 2nd leading scorer in the NAHL this past season. 44 goals and 89 points in 59 games, not bad. He was draft eligible last season, he's committed to Arizona State for the 2020-21 season, maybe he accelerates his eligibility and plays NCAA next year? He should be ready, maybe Buffalo or Philly draft him with a 7th rounder, Marty Brodeur style?

When you look at the amount of players in each league and compare D1 commitments, the % of players that commit D1 are close. Overall the NAHL has more commitments.

Thats hilarious to compare it to Canadian Jr B, a level that would get absolutely embarassed by even NCDC

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Pierre McGuire was obsessed with this kid. Can't wait for some radio host to ask him, what happened?

Unrealistic expectations and poor planning is what happened. O'Brien was playing in NE prep hockey where most D1 players leave after their Jr season to play USHL for their senior season and then matriculate to NCAA. O'Brien is a 1999 birth year and stayed in prep his senior season and was one of the oldest kids in the league playing against kids that were on average 2-4 years younger. O'Brien had a monster season and got a lot of press/hype and ended up being picked in the 1st round by the Flyers. Insert pressure now of being a 1st round pick. Off to Providence where they play in a tough Hockey East. Style is a dump/chase/grind where offense isnt the priority. Providence was in a win now mode and they dont coddle players. You earn everything you get there. The jump from prep to NCAA was evidently too much as well as injuries/playing time/other issues. Now he basically has to redo his senior season and go to the BCHL (which I question) instead of the USHL and then will reenter the NCAA as a 21 yr old. Its not ideal and if I was the Flyers I would be very worried at this point....taking a "overage" high school player in 1st round was a risk and now they are seeing why - notice that Hextall picked him and is now gone. Hopefully it pans out for the player as he is talented and it was just a rough season of new league/injuries/etc.

Reactions: jvr32

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad