C Frederik Gauthier (2013, 21st, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Brandon Sutter (11th overall), Jordan Staal (2nd overall) Manny Malhotra (7th overall), Martin Hanzal (17th overall), Marcel Goc (20th overall), David Legwand (2nd overall) and Brian Boyle (26th overall) are all examples of first round picks with limited offensive upside that have became valuable pieces in the NHL.

Staal- PPG in draft year
Sutter- closest comparison, not anything special in NHL though
Hanzal- 85 points in 60 games
Legwand- 105 point in 59 games
Boyle- 52 points in 42 NCAA games, probably around 80 points in 60 OHL games

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I'd argue that your team had one in Manny Malhotra when you guys were Presidents' Trophy winners and cup contenders.

Malhotra may not be the best comparable... Went straight to the NHL... But kind of bounced around quite a bit before signing with Van (for some reason he had to get a PTO with San Jose that one year before signing with Van).

But I will concede Malhotra in his peak was a very effective bottom 6 center.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Staal- PPG in draft year

The concern I have is there just wasn't any real offensive growth at any point.

Brendan Gaunce is a really similar prospect.. Limited offense.. Very little production increase throughout his junior career... Modest first AHL season. Its just hard to see either of these guys being much more than a 4th line center who can maybe take a few shifts on the PK.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Staal- PPG in draft year

Sutter was easily the top scorer on a pathetic junior team in his draft+1 year.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
From the Leafs point of view, they probably saw how effective Bergeron was in that playoff series and decided to try and draft their own. Obviously it didn't work out, I knew they were going to pick him and he was the last player I wanted in that spot.

Too late now, he can still top out as an effective 3rd/4th line C, which don't get me wrong is very important to a championship team just not highly valued or difficult to acquire.

Should of went with Burakovsky or Theodore

This to me is the only issue.

Gauthier can very well be a key peace. I think the fact that he was basically double shifted in the last 5 minutes of the world juniors shows he has some ability. But whats annoying is that we could have had a potential top 4 defender in Theodore.

Imagine if we had Theodore in the system right now our defence prospects would look so much better

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This to me is the only issue.

Gauthier can very well be a key peace. I think the fact that he was basically double shifted in the last 5 minutes of the world juniors shows he has some ability. But whats annoying is that we could have had a potential top 4 defender in Theodore.

Imagine if we had Theodore in the system right now our defence prospects would look so much better

We missed out on a few guys going for size instead of skill in Biggs and Gauthier. Hopefully with our late pick this year we go for skill above all else. No more fixating on size unless it's a can't miss player in the top 10.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
We missed out on a few guys going for size instead of skill in Biggs and Gauthier. Hopefully with our late pick this year we go for skill above all else. No more fixating on size unless it's a can't miss player in the top 10.

If I were a Leafs fan, I'd be scared ****less about my team picking Crouse over Marner or Strome at #4 or 5. :laugh:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Gauthier will probably have to learn to fight regularly if he wants to make the NHL. His goal totals are barely better than those of Frazer McLaren when he played junior.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
If I were a Leafs fan, I'd be scared ****less about my team picking Crouse over Marner or Strome at #4 or 5. :laugh:

Crouse isnt going 4 or 5.

No chance. Now if we were picking at 10, I would consider him (depends on the board), but I can name AT LEAST 8 guys ahead of him (McEich, Hanafin, Marner, Strome, Provorov, Werenski, Barzal).

To be fair though, Crouse is much more proven than Biggs and Gauthier at the same age. He legitimately can be a top 6 player.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Crouse isnt going 4 or 5.

No chance. Now if we were picking at 10, I would consider him (depends on the board), but I can name AT LEAST 8 guys ahead of him (McEich, Hanafin, Marner, Strome, Provorov, Werenski, Barzal).

To be fair though, Crouse is much more proven than Biggs and Gauthier at the same age. He legitimately can be a top 6 player.

You never know... I mean with Crouse being ranked so high on these scouting list it isn't out of the question that the leafs might think the same and go Course.

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
Gauthier will probably have to learn to fight regularly if he wants to make the NHL. His goal totals are barely better than those of Frazer McLaren when he played junior.

People don't seem to understand why Frederik Gauthier made the Canadian World junior hockey team 2 years in a row. And by reading this comment (and thread), it seems people are still struggling to figure it out.

Let's just say that it wasn't by fluke, and it wasn't because there was a lack of quality players available to Team Canada.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The issue is most 3rd line centers in the NHL were as good defensively as him in junior and put up much better junior #s

Its very hard, almost impossible, to be a 3c in the NHl if you can contribute offensively in some way. Even a guy like Mcclement was PPG + his final year and a 30 goal guy on some low scoring teams otherwise

The pick was a bit of a reach at the time as it was hoped hed improve his offensive numbers. But now its highly unlikely of a 3c, maybe a 4c/4th lien guy

Its the same for CHL shutdown D. People will say ones with under 25 points will be a solid 3rd pairing shutdown bruiser like Regher, but forget Regher scored at a good rate in junior, and that the only D to score under 15 points and become anything in the NHL is Hal gill
No, no it wasn't. Many mocks had us picking him. He was seen as a potential Hanzal-lite. The fact that people are already writing him off is actually pretty funny, and sad.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Gauthier is an elite defensive talent at the junior level and there is nothing to suggest he won't be the same at higher levels.

There is a lot to suggest it. The CHL is not the NHL, especially the Q. Every elite defensive player I have seen is a great skater, with especially great foot speed. Gauthier is exacty opposite. He can make it work in the CHL, but in the much faster NHL he will have a tough time. At the WJ he was great in the box, but absolutely terrible defensively otherwise, he was a pylon that got in no ones way. He has to drastically improve his foot speed and mobility or he will literally be a defensive liability at the next level (other than the PK, where foot speed means far less).

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Why is there so much discussion on this guy? He is an ok prospect, will never blow you away offensively but is reliable in his own end. This is exactly the kind of player he was when he was drafted to be and it is the same kind of player he likely will be if/when he makes the NHL. It is not like Gauthier was a top ten pick in a deep draft who is breaking out or busting... Gauthier is for all intents and purposes a boring prospect who will likely eventually make the NHL as a checking like center.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

They made the right chose in Nylander over some size options so that's a good step in the right direction

WHLfollower

Sep 16, 2013
People don't seem to understand why Frederik Gauthier made the Canadian World junior hockey team 2 years in a row. And by reading this comment (and thread), it seems people are still struggling to figure it out.

Let's just say that it wasn't by fluke, and it wasn't because there was a lack of quality players available to Team Canada.

Is it because he is freaking awesome in the d-zone? High % for face off, and very high IQ in the defence zone. *gasps* a defensive player in the maple leaf rooster. Dam near impossible get him off the puck, bulldoze through people.

Mocking aside, if this kid ever figures out what is offensive he be VERY good pick up. I would try him at as a d-man and see what happens. If he was a d-man he would have been pick much higher.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
For a guy who is apparently bad at offense, he's on pace for 28g. Which is pretty good considering he shoots the puck 2.5 times less per game on average than the top scorers in the league. This lack of shots comes from his role as a shutdown guy. I think he'd have much better production if his coaches every put him in a primarily offensive role

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
For a guy who is apparently bad at offense, he's on pace for 28g. Which is pretty good considering he shoots the puck 2.5 times less per game on average than the top scorers in the league. This lack of shots comes from his role as a shutdown guy. I think he'd have much better production if his coaches every put him in a primarily offensive role

Every player in the Q who's on the top 6 has an offensive role. Also, with Rimouski's talent, he's not surrounded by plugs.

28 goals isn't that much in junior hockey. There are 40 players who'll have 28 goals or more this season.

The jury is still out on Gauthier but not even ppg in the Q for a NHL first rounder isn't really good.

Last edited:

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

I forgot that every single player from the world juniors is a lock to become a top player.

I just don't see him being much more than an 8-12 minute a game guy if he doesn't develop some offense/foot speed.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I forgot that every single player from the world juniors is a lock to become a top player.

I just don't see him being much more than an 8-12 minute a game guy if he doesn't develop some offense/foot speed.

Neither does anyone else

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Neither does anyone else

I know most don't expect him to be much more than an 8-12 minute type guy who can take faceoffs/kill some penalties...

But then again...

It's going to be funny pulling up this thread in a few years when Frederik Gauthier is shutting down other teams top lines with great success. I wonder how many trade proposals we'll see from other team's fans wanting Gauthier going back to their team in a deal. It's going to be good. :laugh:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Completely different office now. Get used to the name of Kyle Dubas, future NHL GM. Mark Hunter is also running our whole development system..I'm not worried one bit about who we'll take.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Also Gauthier was on the ice in the last seconds for Canada and was being double shifted down the stretch. I'll take that vote of confidence over anyone's comments about him on here. Gauthier has tremendous puck possession skills along the boards and is a great face-off guy, he'll fit nicely on the 3rd or 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad