C Frederik Gauthier (2013, 21st, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He's not a goal scorer, but rather a defensive Center. This is not a player you evaluate by point totals and will most definitely make the NHL. He is elite at the defensive end of the ice.

For the CHL yes. And there are a good number of CHL players who are better defensively, they just currently do not take on that role because their offensive talents are required.

Look at every elite defensive player in the NHL, what is the one common denominator? Foot speed. Datsyuk, Bergeron, Toews, Kesler, Peca, Madden, Lehtinen.

It showed in the world junior. Gauthier looked great killing penalties in a box when he did not have to move. Outside of that he was a pylon. He was blown by in the neutral zone every time.

He does play smart, and he works really hard to overcome a few deficiencies then yes he can be an NHL player, but he has a long way to go.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
For the CHL yes. And there are a good number of CHL players who are better defensively, they just currently do not take on that role because their offensive talents are required.

Look at every elite defensive player in the NHL, what is the one common denominator? Foot speed. Datsyuk, Bergeron, Toews, Kesler, Peca, Madden, Lehtinen.

It showed in the world junior. Gauthier looked great killing penalties in a box when he did not have to move. Outside of that he was a pylon. He was blown by in the neutral zone every time.

He does play smart, and he works really hard to overcome a few deficiencies then yes he can be an NHL player, but he has a long way to go.

Yup, the thing is most elite defensive players in the NHL were/are good offensive guys as well (something something being talented/skill in general means you can do both o and d at high level).

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

Most people don't realize that even 3rd/4th liners usually produced well at the junior level.

Brad Richardson was a 40 goal scorer in junior and ate age 30 has yet to top 30 points in a season.

Most Canucks fans will agree that Brendan Gaunce (comparable player imo) doesn't really project as much more than an average bottom 6 center if he makes it.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Meh, he's been dealing with injuries since the beginning of training camp, and is just back in after a concussion. I'll wait until he's in the AHL before I make any sort of decisions on him

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Most people don't realize that even 3rd/4th liners usually produced well at the junior level.

Brad Richardson was a 40 goal scorer in junior and ate age 30 has yet to top 30 points in a season.

Most Canucks fans will agree that Brendan Gaunce (comparable player imo) doesn't really project as much more than an average bottom 6 center if he makes it.

How many of those players were scorers, realized they weren't good enough to play a top 6 role in the NHL, and then adjusted their game so that they could play in the NHL.

Perfect example is David Bolland. He was a scoring player in junior, and he said he had to change his game to a shut down, checking guy to stay in the league. Gauthier isn't used in a primary scoring role

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
How many of those players were scorers, realized they weren't good enough to play a top 6 role in the NHL, and then adjusted their game so that they could play in the NHL.

Perfect example is David Bolland. He was a scoring player in junior, and he said he had to change his game to a shut down, checking guy to stay in the league. Gauthier isn't used in a primary scoring role

So, you're saying that Gauthier is Dave Bolland... minus any offensive upside?

BJD

May 26, 2011
It clearly says to look at the type of player they drafted as an example to show that the better teams like to draft skill

The obvious rebutal is that good teams can afford to take more home runs at players with more high end skill because their team's core is built around young talent already

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
So, you're saying that Gauthier is Dave Bolland... minus any offensive upside?

Are you that slow that you completely missed the point?

Bolland is not a great defensive player. He was simply inserted into that type of role after being a scorer in junior because he wasn't good enough to be a scorer at the NHL level. Unlike Bolland, Gauthier is an elite defensive talent at the junior level and there is nothing to suggest he won't be the same at higher levels. He does not play in a scoring role in junior but rather a shutdown role, unlike someone like Bolland. And that defensive spot will be readily available at the professional level because a lot of the time it's filled with guys who aren't even actually great defensive players, like Bolland, or Richardson.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Are you that slow that you completely missed the point?

Bolland is not a great defensive player. He was simply inserted into that type of role after being a scorer in junior because he wasn't good enough to be a scorer at the NHL level. Unlike Bolland, Gauthier is an elite defensive talent at the junior level and there is nothing to suggest he won't be the same at higher levels. And that defensive spot will be readily available at the professional level because a lot of the time it's filled with guys who aren't even actually great defensive players, like Bolland, or like Richardson.

Can you provide me with an example of an elite defensive player in the NHL, with very limited offense who would be considered a key player to their team?

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Can you provide me with an example of an elite defensive player in the NHL, with very limited offense who would be considered a key player to their team?

I'd argue that your team had one in Manny Malhotra when you guys were Presidents' Trophy winners and cup contenders.

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
It's going to be funny pulling up this thread in a few years when Frederik Gauthier is shutting down other teams top lines with great success. I wonder how many trade proposals we'll see from other team's fans wanting Gauthier going back to their team in a deal. It's going to be good. :laugh:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's going to be funny pulling up this thread in a few years when Frederik Gauthier is shutting down other teams top lines with great success. I wonder how many trade proposals we'll see from other team's fans wanting Gauthier going back to their team in a deal. It's going to be good. :laugh:

Agreed. I can easily see him being one of the top shutdown guys in the AHL for a lot of years.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
No. He's the opposite. He's going to realize he's too slow to be an effective defensive player and will turn himself into a better Jason Allison

He moves well for a big man!

IMO high-end ceiling is Brian Boyle/Hanzal, low-end he's a Steckel type player

Next year will be a better gauge of if he can produce at the pro level. The thing is his numbers aren't standout, but I've seen time again where par junior numbers have correlated to the pro ranks. If he put's up like 10 points next season on the Marlies I'll get concerned.

I think it's very encouraging that Team Canada saw something in him that led them to a national selection. People just need to accept the fact that his ceiling is limited, however, he entirely has the potential to become a core role player for the Leafs.

Booshami

Apr 19, 2012
Vancouver
You done dreaming yet?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Maybe someone from the modern era?

We also had enforcers when these guys played, and it was believed that glass and out made you a "reliable" defender..

Brandon Sutter (11th overall), Jordan Staal (2nd overall) Manny Malhotra (7th overall), Martin Hanzal (17th overall), Marcel Goc (20th overall), David Legwand (2nd overall) and Brian Boyle (26th overall) are all examples of first round picks with limited offensive upside that have became valuable pieces in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad