C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Cagney,

Samuelsson and Matthews are a "little" different. Matthews needs a bigger challenge than the WHL and kudos to him for figuring out a viable option. Everything is risky, but I bet NHL teams are happy he is playing against men and not boys. If he struggles at first, that will just enhance his desire to get better and adjust to the pro game.

The comparison with Samuelsson was primarily an answer to whether or not it was possible to transfer from a European pro league to the WHL midseason. Obviously Matthews is far more advanced than Samuelsson was at the time so it's far less likely to be necessary.

I've said my piece and my opinion doesn't matter either way. Hopefully it all works out for the best.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
$400,000 and a chance to live in Zurich?

I don't blame him. Men's level hockey too. I wouldn't be upset seeing more high level kids taking this route.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Wait a second... this just came to my mind: will they actually let him play at the 2016 WC?? Especially if he'll be having a great season. Usually Switzerland's WJC players play for the junior teams so there's no problem, but I'm not sure what would happen if they had to let go a 1st line player...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wait a second... this just came to my mind: will they actually let him play at the 2016 WC?? Especially if he'll be having a great season. Usually Switzerland's WJC players play for the junior teams so there's no problem, but I'm not sure what would happen if they had to let go a 1st line player...

I'm sure he will be.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

That would be funny if they didn't. But doesn't the Swiss league, like most leagues in Europe, take 1 of their 4 international breaks at Christmas? And the Spengler Cup in Davos takes center stage.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
European teams almost always release players for international events. Only times they won't is when it would unreasonably deplete the team(for example, IIRC the Finnish WJC team wanted both HIFK goalies for the previous event, but only Husso was allowed to go). I would imagine that his availability for the WJC was also discussed in the negotiations.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
That would be funny if they didn't. But doesn't the Swiss league, like most leagues in Europe, take 1 of their 4 international breaks at Christmas? And the Spengler Cup in Davos takes center stage.

Yeah but the Spengler Cup ends at the same time like the round robin games

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
European teams almost always release players for international events. Only times they won't is when it would unreasonably deplete the team(for example, IIRC the Finnish WJC team wanted both HIFK goalies for the previous event, but only Husso was allowed to go). I would imagine that his availability for the WJC was also discussed in the negotiations.

This is completely correct. Matthews mentioned in an interview that he has a clause explicitly allowing him to participate in the WJC.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
There was an article about a month ago in which Marc Crawford said he knows Auston Matthews will be their best player by the end of the year if he plays in Zurich.

I think if he were in the NHL this year, he would score 45-55 points. I expect him to be around a ppg in Zurich, and one of the best players in the league.

Pascal85

Oct 1, 2012
Zürich, Switzerland
Matthews looking good in a Zurich Jersey if you ask me :handclap:

Ronny Kennins of the Vancouver Canucks and Former Zurich Lion is also attending (See his helmet Nr.41 / Canucks Sign in the background of Pic1)

Sunny Regards from beautiful Scoul, up in the Swiss Alps.
:yo:

Last edited:

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Matthews looking good in a Zurich Jersey if you ask me :handclap:

Ronny Kennins of the Vancouver Canucks and Former Zurich Lion is also attending (See his helmet Nr.41 / Canucks Sign in the background of Pic1)

Sunny Regards from beautiful Scoul, up in the Swiss Alps.
:yo:

Canucks are tampering!!!! :sarcasm:

snizzbone*

So where is he projected between him Eichel and Mcdavid?

Likely would have gone 3rd overall this year due to how ridic Eichel's NCAA year was. If you take out Eichel's NCAA year and just look at their draft -1 years (where they played in the same league/team), its closer.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Zurich staying in the top ten best cities...

20150822_woc460.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad