C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

They're quite close in terms of talent, but Matthews is probably a bit better. Patrick is a great player and IMO the frontrunner for 1st overall pick in 2017, but Matthews and Eichel, at this moment in time, are the best American forward prospects since Mike Modano.

Patrick looks like a decent, if average, potential 1st overall pick, like a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or a Sam Reinhart. Matthews looks like an excellent potential 1st overall pick like a MacKinnon or a Tavares.

That being said, if Patrick becomes a two-way threat and puts up 100+ points in the WHL this year, he'll have decreased the gap tremendously. If he breaks 120, combined with the two-way play, then it'd be hard not to say they're close to equal.

Patrick in his draft-2 season was less impressive (though still quite impressive in the context of his age and role) than Matthews was in his draft-2 season.

why is Mackinnon considered an excellent 1st overall pick already?

Rookie year PPG
Mackinnon: 0.77
RNH: 0.84

Sophomore year PPG
Mackinnon: 0.59
RNH: 0.6

I'd get personal opinion, thinking he'll explode this year. Just not sure why he gets the Tavares/Stamkos title without having exploded, just yet.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Rookie year PPG

Sophomore year PPG

I'd get personal opinion, thinking he'll explode this year. Just not sure why he gets the Tavares/Stamkos title without having exploded, just yet.

The handful of playoff games that Mackinnon played apparently caused him to become extremely overrated. He really hasn't proven all that much to be considered with such high regard.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

Rookie year PPG

Sophomore year PPG

I have very high hopes for Mc David but from what I saw in his first game he looks further behind the curve than I thought he was. He looked a little like a deer in the headlights because of the pace.

He was still dangerous in spite of being somewhat confused and tentative. I cant gauge how long its going to take him to understand the NHL game. Whether its 20 games or 40 . It took Stamkos his entire rookie year.

My bet would have been 20 games but now I am not so sure. Its only one game so we shall see

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
You've got it wrong. This decision isn't about money. It's about quality of competition.

You're 100% wrong. This is all about money. His agent and his parents can profit off him from day one.

He earns $0 in the USHL and maybe $100 a week in the CHL.

I actually feel bad for the kid. He doesn't know what is going on. He couldn't pick out Switzerland on a map if you spotted him Italy, France, and Germany. They are setting him up for failure -- perhaps not in hockey, but life itself.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
You're 100% wrong. This is all about money. His agent and his parents can profit off him from day one.

I actually feel bad for the kid. He doesn't know what is going on. He couldn't pick out Switzerland on a map if you spotted him Italy, France, and Germany. They are setting him up for failure -- perhaps not in hockey, but life itself.

This is a very presumptuous post with a lot of unfounded condescension.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014

There is so much that is wrong with this post I don't even know how to reply...

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Matthews is a special case. He comes from a non-traditional market and started the game a bit later than most of his peers. Getting high quality coaching overseas by an established NHL coach in Mark Crawford is an opportunity he'd be foolish to pass up--the extra money is gravy. Matthews should have a heads up on the competition, especially since there's so many stories about players not being fully prepared for the NHL game. Going through his route is not advisable for most 17-18 year old players since the competition is so much more physically mature, but Matthews already has an NHL-ready frame.

Even if he did decide to go via OHL, he definitely would not be making a paltry $100 a week, that's for sure.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I have very high hopes for Mc David but from what I saw in his first game he looks further behind the curve than I thought he was. He looked a little like a deer in the headlights because of the pace.

He was still dangerous in spite of being somewhat confused and tentative. I cant gauge how long its going to take him to understand the NHL game. Whether its 20 games or 40 . It took Stamkos his entire rookie year.

My bet would have been 20 games but now I am not so sure. Its only one game so we shall see

I know you said it.....but you're HEAVILY basing that off one game in a rookie tournament.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Took tavares quite a while too

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005

When the rumor first hit that he was going to maybe do this, I started thinking through the reasons (and reading the thoughts on the message board) for doing what he was doing and I thought it was a phenomenal idea with all things considered. Everything from the travel distance in this certain pro league (or lack there of), to the practice schedule, to the competition level and yes the money, it is nothing but positive. He will be playing in an extremely skilled league. A great part of the world to be in. Top flight facilities, training, etc.

You have pretty much misread the situation as bad as one could misread a situation and I'm not even close to exaggerating.

buttman*

Better competition. Good salary. One of the best countries in the world to live. This is a bad thing because you say it is?

embee

Apr 29, 2011

He is a teenager going to live in Europe, in one of the best countries in the world. If anything he is gaining way more life experience than anyone else his age... who are probably playing video games in the basement and bragging about how many bud lights they drank on the weekend.

He probably can pick out Switzerland on a map, its not that hard and not everyone is so insular.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You have no idea what you are talking about. What a asinine post.

DSuttersface

Dec 28, 2014
SoCal

You don't know the kid at all how can you just make claims like that?!?

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
. He couldn't pick out Switzerland on a map if you spotted him Italy, France, and Germany. They are setting him up for failure -- perhaps not in hockey, but life itself.

Why would he need to find Switzerland on a map? Is he flying himself to Switzerland? I'm pretty sure the only time you actually need to know that stuff is in Geography class.

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
Oh my :shakehead No wonder Americans don't know anything about what happens outside North-America with that attitude.

Actually, I was always pretty good at pointless tasks that you are made to do in school, like filling out a blank map from memory.

I'm just making a larger point that it doesn't really matter if you can fill out a blank map from memory. unless you're a cartographer.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

It takes one to know one.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So are the Zurich Lions scheduled to play in the Spengler Cup this year? If no, can Matthews be loaned to another Swiss team for that tournament?

I'd love to see him playing in that tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad