Confirmed Buy-Out [BUF] Sabres buy out F Jeff Skinner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Regarding this:

1) He was traded for a 2nd, 3rd, 6th and low end prospect. Those picks ended up being Pyotr Kochetkov, Alexander Nikishin and the 6th round pick was used to dump Darling to Florida and get Reimer back (who was a very serviceable back-up).

2) While I agree with you that his defensive play was a reason the Canes moved on from him, so was the fact that he was a UFA in 1 season and the Canes weren't going to give him a large contract. They did the same with Faulk and have done similar things with numerous RFAs as well.

3) His NMC contributed to a lesser return, as he, reportedly, would only go to a few teams.

No argument that his play on the defensive side of things are an issue though.
You are correct it was a two, three, and six… And Cliff Pu - was just being lazy writing out as the 2 was the major piece. That’s still not a lot for a former Calder trophy winner who had scored 40 goals in the past.

But I will say, I contradict a couple points… The prices is the price, who is drafted with those draft picks is irrelevant to what the cost was. It’s great for Carolina that they use them wisely, but I could just it easily then argue somebody who got traded for a fifth round draft pick that ended up being Ryan Miller and an all-time goalie for the Sabres… that somehow that fifth round draft is worth more than just a fifth round draft pick. For Buffalo ended up being that but it was just a fifth round draft pick wisely.

Also, the reason why the canes did not want to sign into a UFA contract is the same reason why Buffalo is buying him out. One dimensional player that can only fit in your lineup basically in one or maximum two spots that needs to be covered up by his linemates… Even if he scores a bunch of goals that’s not worth seven or $8 million… Let alone nine. Thus why Carolina traded instead of resigning.

Like I said, I actually really like a person and the goals that got scored. Have zero negative memories of him or animosity. But there’s no way I think he is helping the Sabres win next year or be harder to play against … And they had to move on from him if they want to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Labelle

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Regarding this:

1) He was traded for a 2nd, 3rd, 6th and low end prospect. Those picks ended up being Pyotr Kochetkov, Alexander Nikishin and the 6th round pick was used to dump Darling to Florida and get Reimer back (who was a very serviceable back-up).

2) While I agree with you that his defensive play was a reason the Canes moved on from him, so was the fact that he was a UFA in 1 season and the Canes weren't going to give him a large contract. They did the same with Faulk and have done similar things with numerous RFAs as well.

3) His NMC contributed to a lesser return, as he, reportedly, would only go to a few teams.

No argument that his play on the defensive side of things are an issue though.

You’re welcome for getting the better side of the deal jerks

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Is he bad defensively?

He scores goals and they have space
B.png
I didnt alter that. Its real life.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Still, I fail to see how it makes them better.
If the new coach doesn't think he can work with him, and wants to come in and implement his systems and the way he wants the team to play now and in the future, I can understand why they'd want to avoid going through all that drama during the season. He refused to waive his NMC (which was within his rights of course) so they're buying him out.

They have a plethora of young forward prospects who should be fighting for a spot in the top 6, and now another one's opened up.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Ok, so now the Sabres make the playoffs, right?

Right?

Still, I fail to see how it makes them better.
The off season has just started, free agency and the long march to training camp and the regular is yet to unfold. With Ruff now in the fold, why not reserve judgement until it all plays out, after all there will be plenty of season to laugh at the Sabres if this doesn't work. Just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad