GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
So I’ve not paid much attention to today (Can only doomscroll through one disaster at a time and the downfall of democracy seemed more important than the downfall of the hockey team), but it looks like we did a pretty good job of rebuilding our defense.

Not finding anyone to replace TT or Guenztal is…a choice…but it’s still early. Something should shake loose, right?
We probably find someone to replace TT's production eventually via trade. We ain't replacing Guentzel for a while if ever.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
how long of a bridge contract can we give Jarvis to keep him RFA , can we 5x5 with the promise he will get a raise (Dundon winks) after that , kinda worried someone throws an offer sheet

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Dundon let Tulsky play it out. no contracts that extend into players' late 30's. Guentzel was such a no brainer to me because they were moving on from Skjei. team f***ed around with Guentzel and he . I dont care what internet posters said. canes low balled him and only met his orginal teams too late. i kept saying guentzel is getting $9M AAV. Egghead Tulsky has data to prove these contracts are not worth it. Dundon agreed. on ice talent has declined a lot but we'll see how fans react this year if team slides a bit.

I think the unconventional strategy with respect to player and staff compensation will be tested at some point. great results thus far but some of the foundation was built by Francis. Waddell and now Tulsky continue to benefit from that. this may be the year where we respectfully say the talent level dropped as did the team's record. we'll see.
Can I ask how you know we screwed around with Guentzel? Most of us only have extremely vague tweets from an insider here or there to go off of, which is maybe 10% of the total picture. If you don’t want to give away your inside sources that have direct links to the negotiations, feel free to private message me just cause i’m curious how it all actually went down. Normally I just throw my hands up and accept we’ll never get close to knowing how these things truly play out but you seem to have real inside knowledge here.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Can I ask how you know we screwed around with Guentzel? Most of us only have extremely vague tweets from an insider here or there to go off of, which is maybe 10% of the total picture. If you don’t want to give away your inside sources that have direct links to the negotiations, feel free to private message me just cause i’m curious how it all actually went down. Normally I just throw my hands up and accept we’ll never get close to knowing how these things truly play out but you seem to have real inside knowledge here.
Reading between the lines, I think we screwed around early trying to lowball him, much like we've done with everyone, and he just basically said screw you and looked elsewhere. Given what he signed appears to be completely fair for a player of his quality, by the time we agreed to meet it, it was too late and that bridge was burned.

I also get the impression that bridge was burned before Tulsky took over.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Reading between the lines, I think we screwed around early trying to lowball him, much like we've done with everyone, and he just basically said screw you and looked elsewhere. Given what he signed appears to be completely fair for a player of his quality, by the time we agreed to meet it, it was too late and that bridge was burned.

I also get the impression that bridge was burned before Tulsky took over.
There are no lines to read between. We know jack all. Anything beyond throwing up your hands and saying only our FO and Guentzel’s camp is stretching massively to craft any narrative when there’s no actual facts to work with.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
For those way smarter than me..

How does trading Necas a top 6 forward for another top 6 forward help when the Canes already need a top 6 forward with Necas in the lineup?
get a talented player on an ELC and make a trade for another talented player since you have more cap room (in line with how they handle drafts...1 for 2)

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

How does trading Necas a top 6 forward for another top 6 forward help when the Canes already need a top 6 forward with Necas in the lineup?

It's good for the locker room when a guy who doesn't want to be here gets dealt for a guy who does.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC

I think that’s why he hasn’t been traded. We don’t have anyone who could even pretend to play LW in the top six beyond Svechnikov. Any one of Drury/Kuzy/Kotkaniemi would be one of the worst 2Cs in the league, at least entering the season. Unless we package Necas with a pick/prospect for a Rantanen or similar obvious upgrade there’s no chance he’s moved at this point I would have to believe. We joke about the one 1st line and three 3rd lines but that would become a genuine reality if Necas is moved.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yes indeed. I took some much needed time away from this team. I was letting them get me too worked up emotionally. Hopefully I can stay more level headed moving forward.
I did the same a number of years ago. It wasn’t the team getting to me, it was the negative posters here. It was refreshing and gave me a new perspective so I have fun with it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad