Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Lemieux - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Carrier - Drury - Robinson
Kuznetsov - Jost

Tulsky emphatically said that the roster isn’t done and you look at that group of 14 forwards and it’s beyond evident those aren’t the same names we’ll be looking at opening night. You can almost breathe a sigh of relief looking at those names and knowing it has to change.
Jost is likely Chicago-bound and Lemieux will be our 13th forward, but otherwise correct. Necas will likely be dealt in a hockey trade for someone. Skepical about KK being moved because of his age but I could see Kuznetsov being moved as a salary piece in a bigger trade.

Reactions: DaveG

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
They currently have about 13 mil to work with, however they still need to re-sign Jarvis, Drury and Necas. Which eats the entirety of that 13.

That kinda scuttles getting help by taking advantage of a cap strapped team, unless they move Necas entirely for futures. Which would be a lateral move.

If they don't want the offense to take a hit, they need a prospect to come in and replace Teravainen's middling production. If they don't want the defense to take a hit they need to hope that Orlov/Chatfield can cover Skjei/Pesce AND Burns doesn't regress. Logic indicates we're taking a hit, hopefully one we can absorb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bub and DaveG

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Lemieux - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Carrier - Drury - Robinson
Kuznetsov - Jost

Tulsky emphatically said that the roster isn’t done and you look at that group of 14 forwards and it’s beyond evident those aren’t the same names we’ll be looking at opening night. You can almost breathe a sigh of relief looking at those names and knowing it has to change.
Just responding because Lemieux on the second line is f***ing amazing.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The Sean Walker deal is really, really good. This wasn't a disaster after we inked both Ghost and Walker to round out the D. And the term on both those deals is actually really nice, expiring when both players are 34/35.

The stinger is losing Guentzel. But it's looking more and more like that was never actually in the cards this year. He just didn't want to live/play in Raleigh long term. It's frustrating, but I'm not going to be mad at the player. All the agent "negotiating" on public media is probably just trying to max funds for his man, which is his onus and right to do. We move on.

What this does give the Canes, once again, is flexibility, both right now and long term. I'm assuming we sign Jarvis long term at around $7M. We can sign him for 6-8 years, probably, around that cap hit. We then have $8M in space to get Necas signed and make a depth add, or to trade Necas and add a Laine-esque cap hit. We get more if we move KK.

It's clear Tulsky is favoring cap flexibility. Now that the big spenders have spent, teams are normalizing to having very little capspace, especially when factoring in teams' RFAs. Having cap space is a good commodity on the first day of free agency, as you're able to sign guys. Having flexibility later in the offseason and midseason is very rare. Seems like we're prioritizing that. I bet Tulsky has some contingencies for trade he is entertaining, but perhaps also he's just banking on the fact that good deals will inevitably be there for the patient GM.

Also, the fact that there was no smoke around a Jarvis offer sheet is very pleasant news.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
If Drury, Jarvis and Necas are all re-signed, they have about 13 mil to to work with, 10.2 right now, and Nadeau, Blake and Robinson off the roster= 2.7 additional cap savings.

That kinda scuttles getting help by taking advantage of a cap strapped team, unless they move Necas entirely for futures. Which would be a lateral move.

If they don't want the offense to take a hit, they need a prospect to come in and replace Teravainen's middling production. If they don't want the defense to take a hit they need to hope that Orlov/Chatfield can cover Skjei/Pesce AND Burns doesn't regress. Logic indicates we're taking a hit, hopefully one we can absorb.

Necas being traded, at this point, makes more sense in a player-for-player swap.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Necas being traded, at this point, makes more sense in a player-for-player swap.
It's still my dream to deal Necas to Utah for Dylan Guenther. I think that'd be lopsided in our favor, but the fact that Utah went pedal-to-the-floor to trade for Sergachev makes me think they'd trade a little future for now.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Shane Wright, upside 2c right handed.

KK / Laine type of deal

Laine - Aho - Jarvis
Svech - Wright - Kuznetzov
Carrier - Drury - Lemuix
Marty - Staal - Robinson

True but he is a good guy and I hope his health recovers.
But something we have to consider, missing him and Pesce in the playoffs was the difference for sure.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Especially since it usually takes defensemen around half a season to get used to our system. Expect another slow team start, though this time they may only have the horses to get Metro 3/WC1, or maybe even last in.
Maybe. Our goaltending was awful to start the year as well.

Also, from the start of the season last year to the trade deadline (when we were a top 5 team in the NHL at the time), our roster upfront was:

Aho, Svech, Jarvis, Necas, KK, TT, Bunting, Martinook, Staal, Fast, Drury, Noesen

Our roster upfront today if Necas is kept:
Aho, Svech, Jarvis, Necas, KK, Kuznetsov, Carrier, Martinook, Staal, Fast, Drury, Robinson

Changes in bold. TT, Bunting, Noesen out; Kuznetsov, Carrier, Robinson in.

We needed a top 6 upgrade last year (thus the Guentzel rental) and still do now, so hopefully a trade can accomplish that because a couple of moves/trades could change this dramatically.

KK is just the odd man out IMO. Doesn't work at wing, hasn't shown enough to be a 2C. Kuznetsov is the wildcard. He was out of shape coming in last year, but if he gets in shape and there's anything left in the tank, that could be huge. If he's done, then we need two top 6 guys.

Too many ifs right now though so have to wait and see what happens.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Maybe. Our goaltending was awful to start the year as well.

Also, from the start of the season last year to the trade deadline (when we were a top 5 team in the NHL at the time), our roster upfront was:

Aho, Svech, Jarvis, Necas, KK, TT, Bunting, Martinook, Staal, Fast, Drury, Noesen

Our roster upfront today if Necas is kept:
Aho, Svech, Jarvis, Necas, KK, Kuznetsov, Carrier, Martinook, Staal, Fast, Drury, Robinson

Changes in bold. TT, Bunting, Noesen out; Kuznetsov, Carrier, Robinson in.

We needed a top 6 upgrade last year (thus the Guentzel rental) and still do now, so hopefully a trade can accomplish that because a couple of moves/trades could change this dramatically.

KK is just the odd man out IMO. Doesn't work at wing, hasn't shown enough to be a 2C. Kuznetsov is the wildcard. He was out of shape coming in last year, but if he gets in shape and there's anything left in the tank, that could be huge. If he's done, then we need two top 6 guys.

Too many ifs right now though so have to wait and see what happens.
PK will be in flux early in the season too losing mainliners Skjei , Pesce AND TT.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Shane Wright, upside 2c right handed.

KK / Laine type of deal

Laine - Aho - Jarvis
Svech - Wright - Kuznetzov
Carrier - Drury - Lemuix
Marty - Staal - Robinson

But something we have to consider, missing him and Pesce in the playoffs was the difference for sure.

Shane Wright is likely not available, but if the Canes happen to get any top-6 potential guy on an ELC for Necas, that would be enough to free up a trade for a pure cap dump.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
looks like I'm in the same thought process as others already posted just a bit before me.....

Two estimates on salary for Necas and Drury based on us signing Drury and what I think Necas would get in arbitration award if we force the issue and dont trade him first.

FORWARDS2024-25
Aho, Sebastian
$9,750,000.00​
Jarvis, Seth
$7,775,000.00​
Svechnikov, Andrei
$7,750,000.00​
Necas, Martin *** ESTIMATED ***
$6,000,000.00​
Kotkaniemi, Jesperi
$4,820,000.00​
Kuznetsov, Evegeny
$3,900,000.00​
Martinook, Jordan "A"
$3,050,000.00​
Staal, Jordan "C"
$2,900,000.00​
Fast, Jesper
$2,400,000.00​
Carrier, William
$2,000,000.00​
Drury, Jack - *** ESTIMATED ***
$1,500,000.00​
Robinson, Eric
$950,000.00​
Jost, Tyson
$775,000.00​
Lemieux, Brendan
$775,000.00​
Total
$54,345,000.00​
DEFENSE2024-25
Orlov, Dmitri
$7,750,000.00​
Slavin, Jaccob "A"
$5,300,000.00​
Burns, Brent
$5,280,000.00​
Walker, Sean
$3,600,000.00​
Gostisbehere, Shayne
$3,200,000.00​
Chatfield, Jalen
$3,000,000.00​
#7 dman - Smith or league min equiv.
$775,000.00​
Total
$28,905,000.00​
GOALIES2024-25
Andersen, Frederik
$3,400,000.00​
Kochetkov, Pyotr **
$2,000,000.00​
Total
$5,400,000.00​
Grand Total Salary Cap for all Players
$88,650,000.00​
Salary Cap for 2024 - 2025 Season
$88,000,000.00​
Current Salary Cap Space
($650,000.00)​

SvechAhoJarvis
DruryKuznetsovNecas
MartinookStaalFast
RobinsonKKCarrier
LemieuxJost
SlavinBurns
OrlovWalker
GhostChatty
KochtekovAndersen

that's 14 forwards, 7 dmen and 2 goalies.. Someone on the forwards comes off and goes on waivers and spends time in the minors to get us under the cap... likely one of the newbies as opposed to anyone from last year forward group.... that gets us below the cap once a league min like forward contract comes off the cap.... but we will have injuries (almost certainly in goal for sure given the last few years)... so with injury call-ups counting for x days, we will be tight if this is how the roster stays.... which I highly doubt Necas is on opening night roster... think we are set on d and in goal.... maybe we rotate the 7th dman depending on the injury to give a kid a chance in call up from Chicago... It's the forwards that will be adjusted before opening night as everyone likely agrees....

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Which is why Carolina probably being the team that's the least fearful of free agency or of what the public thinks of them is a real strength of theirs. Many teams would've panic-signed at least one of Pesce/Skjei in the wake of the Guentzel issue, but they stuck to their guns.
Dundon let Tulsky play it out. no contracts that extend into players' late 30's. Guentzel was such a no brainer to me because they were moving on from Skjei. team f***ed around with Guentzel and he . I dont care what internet posters said. canes low balled him and only met his orginal teams too late. i kept saying guentzel is getting $9M AAV. Egghead Tulsky has data to prove these contracts are not worth it. Dundon agreed. on ice talent has declined a lot but we'll see how fans react this year if team slides a bit.

I think the unconventional strategy with respect to player and staff compensation will be tested at some point. great results thus far but some of the foundation was built by Francis. Waddell and now Tulsky continue to benefit from that. this may be the year where we respectfully say the talent level dropped as did the team's record. we'll see.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So I’ve not paid much attention to today (Can only doomscroll through one disaster at a time and the downfall of democracy seemed more important than the downfall of the hockey team), but it looks like we did a pretty good job of rebuilding our defense.

Not finding anyone to replace TT or Guenztal is…a choice…but it’s still early. Something should shake loose, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad