Confirmed Buy-Out [BUF] Sabres buy out F Jeff Skinner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
If you want this guy on your team and you actually want your team to compete for a Stanley Cup, you're clueless.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Is he bad defensively?

He scores goals and they have space
Hrs poor on defense typical of many strong goal scorers.

The feeling it was going to happen before contract ends but hiring Ruff accelerated it.

Ruff and skinner likely clash causing a likely locker room split. Skinner wasnt a hated player in the locker room

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Sabres fans on here disagree about a lot of things, but buying out Skinner was something everyone agreed on.

Easy to look at box scores & not understand why you'd buyout a guy who was PPG last season.

Our forwards have been extremely lazy defensively & Skinner is a big reason why. He's a terrible example for the young kids on this team. There's a reason why both Rod & Ruff want nothing to do with him.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Watch him sign with Chicago and finish his career without touching playoffs once.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Sabres fans on here disagree about a lot of things, but buying out Skinner was something everyone agreed on.

Easy to look at box scores & not understand why you'd buyout a guy who was PPG last season.

Our forwards have been extremely lazy defensively & Skinner is a big reason why. He's a terrible example for the young kids on this team. There's a reason why both Rod & Ruff want nothing to do with him.
Avs fans on here are clamouring for Skinner as if he wouldn't drive both Bednar and MacKinnon up the wall. It's not like MacKinnon is a Selke nominee but Skinner literally does not put any effort into the defensive side of the game.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Everyone clamoring on here for their team has not watched this player closely enough to know that unless he is a severely sheltered first line, he will be net negative to your team. Say what you will about Buffalo, but he was trade for only a second round draft pick from Carolina for the same damn reason they knew he could only play on their first line and even then would offer nothing else except for the scoring.

He will get you some goals, but how many is he going to cost you going the other way? Can’t play in overtime, can’t plan him on anything, but the first line with people that will cover for him, and how much are the other players giving up on their offensive prowess in order to cover for his complete defensive Insufficiencies?

This is not me being biased… It’s all over BUF media and analysts talking points, which is why Buffalo is doing the right thing buying him out, even if it wasn’t this year it was going to happen next year.

Let me end on this… I actually really like Jeff Skinner, the person, and he had some nice moments in Buffalo. But it’s not about nice moments or him making hilarious videos and having a generally positive attitude. The on the ice stuff speaks for itself.
Regarding this:

1) He was traded for a 2nd, 3rd, 6th and low end prospect. Those picks ended up being Pyotr Kochetkov, Alexander Nikishin and the 6th round pick was used to dump Darling to Florida and get Reimer back (who was a very serviceable back-up).

2) While I agree with you that his defensive play was a reason the Canes moved on from him, so was the fact that he was a UFA in 1 season and the Canes weren't going to give him a large contract. They did the same with Faulk and have done similar things with numerous RFAs as well.

3) His NMC contributed to a lesser return, as he, reportedly, would only go to a few teams.

No argument that his play on the defensive side of things are an issue though.

Reactions: ameselare

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Is he bad defensively?

He scores goals and they have space
He's not top 6th worthy material. He's not a complete team player while on the ice. He thinks of himself more than the team. That's just honesty, and I don't mean that in a complete vacuum kind of way. He fails to sacrifice for the benefit of the team, passing, head on a swivel looking for team mates, fully focused on the larger on ice picture both on the rush and defensively. In short, He's the ki d of player that will not improve your top 6 with consistency due to his mindset. The skills are there, the commitment never was. Just my view after watching him game after game for these seasons with the Sabres.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Colorado for cheap.
Zero chance he'd fit in with COL. MacKinnon would destroy his life.
B.png

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Honestly if you don't care about his one way play and you want to ice an exciting product (ie fancy skating and scoring) Utah should be throwing money at him.

Ad

Ad

Ad