Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
One thing people are probably ignoring is that Matt Savoie is from Edmonton and maybe made it clear to Buffalo he wants to be there long term. Regardless I think the value they got back was way too little.... but sounds like Savoie maybe had them by the balls

Lmao you literally just made that up. This is trolling right? It has to be.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
He put up 2PPG in a very small sample size. Majority of players are playing 60+ regular season games.

Wasn't even a top 5 player on his team in the playoffs.

Was invisible during WJC while being one of the older players on the team

Failed to make the team meanwhile 18 year old former teammate Benson makes it as a full time player

Suffered injury issues since being drafted

That's why his value went down since being drafted. Again Pronman also mentioned this to be true. His value was not as high as it used to be.
He's 1000% was a top 5 player on that team, wtf are you even talking about? :laugh:

Also, are you disagreeing with the Sabres reporters that stated Savoie most likely makes the team over Benson if the injury doesn't happen? I'm assuming you're more knowledgeable than them?

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Poor Sabres fans.. I relate...

Being stuck with such a shitty organization, you guys deserve better.

As far as I'm concerned, it comes down to ownership.

Leadership comes from the top to the bottom...

P.S.: Savoie's got elite speed, he might mesh well with McDavid's speed, as a complementary winger.

Last edited:

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
He's 1000% was a top 5 player on that team, wtf are you even talking about? :laugh:

Also, are you disagreeing with the Sabres reporters that stated Savoie most likely makes the team over Benson if the injury doesn't happen? I'm assuming you're more knowledgeable than them?
No he wasn't. Firkus, Denton, Yager, Calvert, and Kovacevic played better than him. Might want to actually watch the games.

What? Savoie got injured in a prospects challenge. He never even played in a preseason game. That's where Benson showed how great he was against other NHLers having 7 points in 7 games. There is no way you can say that Savoie would make the team over him lol. They play very different games. Benson made it because of his defensive play & how natural he was against NHLers. Savoie scored some goals in a prospect challenge. Big difference.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Okay so to summarize you said you watched him in junior and he's the next yamamoto despite having a completely different style of play. Then you said he's 5'7 when he's never been listed under 5'9 anywhere.

I'll have to put your opinion as being less than unimportant but you get some brownie points for effort.
wtf are you talking about? idc what he is listed at on the internet big man. I have seen him in person. He is around 5.7.5" tall

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Is Savoie better than Yamamoto. Look kind of similar to me.
Just going off highlight clips, Yamamoto does/did not have the speed, agility, stickhandling, or shot that Savoie has. Stylistically they seem to play differently as well. Savoie is also 30 lbs heavier than Yamamoto, which is sizeable.

Pretty much the expected skill difference between a late first round player and an early first round player.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
wtf are you talking about? idc what he is listed at on the internet big man. I have seen him in person. He is around 5.7.5" tall
How tall are you for reference? Pretty amazing that you can narrow down his height to the 1/2 inch. You must be exactly 5'8", stood back to back with him and then found that the difference in height between the two of you was the width of your thumb to be that precise. Did you measure the heel on his shoe as well?

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada

So the professionals measured wrong or when you see someone in person without an accurate tool to measure with as you are clearly not an expert your off by about 1.5"

Don't get me wrong, it's impressive you can get that close with just your eyes and blind confidence

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Jagger Firkus is the only player who came even close to 2ppg in the WHL this year, and there was only two undrafted players who even just barely surpassed 1.5ppg this year. Gabe Klassen and James Stefan who are both overage players.
#2 scorer in the league, right behind Firkus, was never drafted and was just signed by Washington. Is Zac Funk the next coming of Niklas Backstrom? Nope, but all you stat watchers who likely never played hockey think that putting up tons of points as a 20 year old in the WHL is an automatic superstar when he gets to the NHL. Size, speed, all-around play and toughness matters, and obviosuly the Sabres don't see Savoie making that next step, plain and simple.

DougBodger

Sep 24, 2023
Wonder if Savoie's off-ice perception contributed to his declining value. Wasn't there a rumor about him partying or something the night before his NHL debut? Thus his next to no ice time and subsequent demotion.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wonder if Savoie's off-ice perception contributed to his declining value. Wasn't there a rumor about him partying or something the night before his NHL debut? Thus his next to no ice time and subsequent demotion.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
No he wasn't. Firkus, Denton, Yager, Calvert, and Kovacevic played better than him. Might want to actually watch the games.

What? Savoie got injured in a prospects challenge. He never even played in a preseason game. That's where Benson showed how great he was against other NHLers having 7 points in 7 games. There is no way you can say that Savoie would make the team over him lol. They play very different games. Benson made it because of his defensive play & how natural he was against NHLers. Savoie scored some goals in a prospect challenge. Big difference.
Based on what exactly?

I actually did watch quite a few Warriors games in the playoffs.

You've really done a 180 on the player the minute he was traded Tommy :laugh: you're embarrassing

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
savoie is about 5'7 tops. kid is tiny and won't be great in the show. I've seen him lots in junior and I think he busts.

So, which one is it Clapper?

Us Oiler fans really need to know, is he 5'7 or 5'7.5? He went from 5'7 tops, to around 5'7.5 in a matter of 90 minutes.

Nonetheless, I'm upset that you believe he's going to bust and won't be good in the NHL. You seem like you really know your stuff.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Just going off highlight clips, Yamamoto does/did not have the speed, agility, stickhandling, or shot that Savoie has. Stylistically they seem to play differently as well. Savoie is also 30 lbs heavier than Yamamoto, which is sizeable.

Pretty much the expected skill difference between a late first round player and an early first round player.

Savoie’s “listed” height and weight only make any sense if they were taken when he was in his skates and full gear. I promise you he’s not that big. He was noticeably smaller than Benson on the same ice.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
When the sabres miss the playoffs next year I wonder if Sabres fans will be still touting this trade or calling for Adams to be fired?

Mitts and Savoie for Byram and McLeod....sheesh

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Savoie’s “listed” height and weight only make any sense if they were taken when he was in his skates and full gear. I promise you he’s not that big. He was noticeably smaller than Benson on the same ice.
McLeod's listed height isn't correct either, he's actually only about 5'11-6'.

Source? Some random guy on HF.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
When the sabres miss the playoffs next year I wonder if Sabres fans will be still touting this trade or calling for Adams to be fired?
This trade is terrible. The Oilers almost get Savoie for free. Most games you will barely notice McLeod is even in the lineup, that is how low impact and inconsistent he is, which is why every average depth player the Oilers acquired passed him in the lineup.

Great deal for the Oilers though. Traded a 4th line player and dumped his cap hit for a good prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad