Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think my biggest issue with the trade is that to me what McLeod does effectively isn't something that Buffalo is well-positioned to capitalize on. McLeod can at times neutralize play effectively with his reasonably good mobility and puck-carrying ability. which is what the defensive metrics are actually reflecting in my view. As we all saw, that doesn't translate effectively to playoff hockey.

Ok, suppose the Sabres say we're not considered with his playoff shortcomings at this stage, we're just trying to improve the on-ice product (I think that's short-sighted, but whatever). I still don't think what McLeod does well translates. McLeod's ability to neutralize shifts I think was helpful in the Oilers' regular season play, largely because they have an absolutely nuclear top six that allows them to play with a lead more often than most teams. On the Oilers' roster, McLeod was a good fit because his ability to transport the puck on McDavid and Draisaitl's off shifts helped take the sting out of things. Unfortunately, the Thompson and Cozens lines don't have the firepower to put McLeod in those favorable positions nearly as often.

I actually have no issue with them moving Savoie for a "3C", I just think they targeted the completely wrong profile of player. A guy in the Adam Lowry mold (not saying Lowry himself was available) would've been a huge addition for a Buffalo team that needs guys who can contribute effectively in a broader range of situations, and who can compete in the difficult areas of the ice. McLeod has a very narrow range of utility and I don't think this Sabres roster is well-designed to capitalize on it at all, frankly.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Buffalo was shopping Savoie. Multiple insiders have said the Sabres were offering him in trades for NHL players. This is what they got for him. So yeah, apparently it’s the best player anyone was willing to give up for him.
I can go to a bunch of car dealerships and ask for a good deal, and still not get one.

A skilled negotiator can just go to one and get a good deal.

Just because he was shopping Savoie, doesn’t mean this was the absolute best he could do.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
There is a difference in where the teams are in their competitive arc, clearly. Henrique was an excellent rental and fine keep in UFA. That doesn’t mean McLeod has no use for Buffalo.
Henrique also took a 500k discount to stay with the team he was with. Upgrading to a better player for 900k? Seems like an easy give me

North

Jun 25, 2009
There is a difference in where the teams are in their competitive arc, clearly. Henrique was an excellent rental and fine keep in UFA. That doesn’t mean McLeod has no use for Buffalo.
I’m not saying he doesn’t. What I am saying is he isn’t an effective 3C. He’s better on the wing.

Of course all the oilers homers are declaring a massive W with this trade. Is there a fanbase more devoid of objective analysis than that fan base? Mcloud anchored the 3rd line and pk
McLeod was an ineffective 3C. He was good on the PK but he wasn’t the anchor of it.

He has some utility but he’s better as a winger.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Of course all the oilers homers are declaring a massive W with this trade. Is there a fanbase more devoid of objective analysis than that fan base? Mcloud anchored the 3rd line and pk
They signed Henrique to an extension. With the addition of Arvidsson and Skinner his role is almost for sure as the #3C. McLeod was destined to be the #4C/utility winger.

McLeod was very good on the pk but I would not call him the anchor. In fact, at best he would be #4 in terms of importance going forward for the Oiler pk behind Nuge, Janmark and Brown. That is not to say that his work in that regard is not appreciated, or that there is an easy replacement. But given that someone had to McLoed was an obvious candidate, especially since he was probably going to price himself off the team at his next contract. The reason it is viewed as a win for the Oilers is that I don't know a single poster on the Oiler board who would have expected Savoie as a return. Now it could also be a win for Buffalo. I'll let their fans make that case.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes and no. He and Foegele got the best PK results of our forwards, but he was 4th among forwards in PK TOI per game in the playoffs and 5th in the regular season. His season results were good on the 3rd line in soft minutes, but he got caved in the playoffs at 5v5 and relegated to the 4th line because of it.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
I can go to a bunch of car dealerships and ask for a good deal, and still not get one.

A skilled negotiator can just go to one and get a good deal.

Just because he was shopping Savoie, doesn’t mean this was the absolute best he could do.
And I'm sure you are the person that knows that...Do you not think he spoke to every NHL team and saw what he could get in return for Savoie??? I'm guessing you're thinking he made one, maybe two calls and just wanted to go to lunch so called it a day and made the deal with Edmonton....Or he said to himself, I can likely get better but I don't feel like it...What a dumb statement.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
And I'm sure you are the person that knows that...Do you not think he spoke to every NHL team and saw what he could get in return for Savoie??? I'm guessing you're thinking he made one, maybe two calls and just wanted to go to lunch so called it a day and made the deal with Edmonton....Or he said to himself, I can likely get better but I don't feel like it...What a dumb statement.
It’s not uncommon for GMs to not shop a player to every team. Check out the Jake Walman trade and what other GMs said about that.

Or, people could just take Adams as a sucker and lowballed him. Adams was dumb enough to accept.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
I'm not sure why some of you guys can't wrap this around your head.

Was Buffalo targeting a Center?

Were they targeting a young Center?

Were they targeting a cost controlled young Center?

How many of those guys are available? And if they are available, do they have a NTC? Not many guys want to play in Buffalo(we have been there). I'm sure if Buffalo could have addressed this issue via Free Agency, they would have.

If Buffalo was willing to trade Savoie for a winger, or a Center that's a UFA in a year or two, I'm sure they could have got a much better player in return.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
It's not unheard of for a team that's deep at forward to ease a rookie like this in. See Wyatt Johnston in Dallas, Brayden Point in Tampa (not comparing him to these players just the situation they entered the league in).

The Oilers without question have the centre and winger depth to shelter him especially if Nuge moves back to centre.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion?
It's just a thought. If the kid you know plays really good for Edmonton and he turns into a legit number two center I don't think it's that crazy to think they might not resign dry. Would it have been better if I said maybe there's a chance they might not sign him?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's just a thought. If the kid you know plays really good for Edmonton and he turns into a legit number two center I don't think it's that crazy to think they might not resign dry. Would it have been better if I said maybe there's a chance they might not sign him?
You said "sounds like drai isn't getting signed". All indications are he is, and in no world is Savoie his replacement. You can't just replace one of the best forwards of the past 10 years. Savoie will likely be a winger in the NHL.

Reactions: Hextallent63

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
I'm not sure why some of you guys can't wrap this around your head.

Was Buffalo targeting a Center?

Were they targeting a young Center?

Were they targeting a cost controlled young Center?

How many of those guys are available? And if they are available, do they have a NTC? Not many guys want to play in Buffalo(we have been there). I'm sure if Buffalo could have addressed this issue via Free Agency, they would have.

If Buffalo was willing to trade Savoie for a winger, or a Center that's a UFA in a year or two, I'm sure they could have got a much better player in return.
I'm not sure why some can't wrap their head around this....

All the other NHL teams likely see little value in Savoie. He is not big and injury prone, and if he were that good Buffalo would have kept him up his draft year like they did Benson.

Everyone here gets all excited because he was drafted #9 overall and his 2 PPG in WHL, but there are many undrafted players who did just as well in the WHL. There's much more to it than your high draft position and PPG in a teenager league, you're playing with the big boys in the NHL. NHL GMS and Scouts see right through it.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
I'm not sure why can't wrap this around your head.

All the other NHL teams likely see little value in Savoie. He is not big and injury prone, and if he were that good Buffalo would have kept him up his draft year like they did Benson.

Everyone here gets all excited because he was drafted #9 overall and his 2 PPG in WHL, but there are many undrafted players who did just as well in the WHL. There's much more to it than your high draft position and PPG in a teenager league, you're playing with the big boys in the NHL. NHL GMS and Scouts see right through it.
Who?

They would have kept him up? I'm not sure if you're aware, but Buffalo isn't exactly known to be a very well run organization.

Nonetheless, you replied to my post with a post stating your opinion.

You failed to answer anything, of course.

Well done

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
100%

And yes, Mcleod can play 3C. And plays it well. Excels in xGF% in that role. More so than wing where yes next to Drai he put up some points while having a lower xGF%
I don’t care what a few blue numbers show on charts. Eyeballs are what’s important and you saw how he played. He’s average at best with good speed and he can pk. And buffalo gives up a top 9 pick because they have too many and their GM is in desperation mode. they got absolutely fleeced, man.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
I don’t care what a few blue numbers show on charts. Eyeballs are what’s important and you saw how he played. He’s average at best with good speed and he can pk. And buffalo gives up a top 9 pick because they have too many and their GM is in desperation mode. they got absolutely fleeced, man.
We did not give up a top 9 pick. We traded a guy drafted 2 years ago who had his value drop since. It's really not that hard to understand.

Savoie is still a good prospect, but his value is not even close to that of the 9th pick anymore.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not sure why some can't wrap their head around this....

Jagger Firkus is the only player who came even close to 2ppg in the WHL this year, and there was only two undrafted players who even just barely surpassed 1.5ppg this year. Gabe Klassen and James Stefan who are both overage players.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Jagger Firkus is the only player who came even close to 2ppg in the WHL this year, and there was only two undrafted players who even just barely surpassed 1.5ppg this year. Gabe Klassen and James Stefan who are both overage players.
Savoie only played 34 games though. Firkus played 63 games.

Including playoffs Savoie was at 1.79PPG / Firkus was a 1.9 PPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad