Confirmed with Link: Roby Järventie and 4th trade to EDM for Xavier Bourgault and Jake Chiasson

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Scouting report when they were drafted

Xavier Bourgault(1st round 22OA 2021):
An offensive winger who thrives with his off-puck movement and ability to find space. He locates his shots well and has shown more and more creativity as he’s matured as a player.

Jake Chiasson(4th round 416oOA 2021):
A bit raw at this point, plays a gritty and tenacious style. Good shot and makes smart passes in the offensive zone. Good complementary winger on a scoring line.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Staois continues to put his stamp on the organization. I don't completely hate it at face value, but the targets do seem odd. Neither one of Bourgault or Chiasson have shown much since going pro but it's clear Staois would have had a nice pre-draft grade on these two. It's 2 bodies in and one out so by default it's going to add depth and roster competitiveness to Belleville.

On the other hand I didn't have a ton of hope for Jarventie at the NHL level here and a 4th isn't much to give up if one of Bourgault/Chiasson end up with a cup of coffee in the league. Hopefully Jarventie can thrive in Edmonton but from an Ottawa perspective I think this makes sense. Not a huge W but not a loss, just Staois shuffling the deck chairs and building the team (both current and future) in his vision.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I can honestly say I feel nothing about this trade, so I’m guessing that’s a good thing.

I think the odds of most people here watching enough AHL along with junior to have an informed opinion on all pieces involved is pretty low. Some of the negativity of the trade is going to come from us giving up a pick when we already have so few, and most people likely view Jarventie and Bourgault as comparable, plus have never heard of (not Alex) Chiasson.

I suspect they like Chiasson and the logic is that they would rather give up a 4th for a player a few years into his development than use the 4th at the draft, because they need players who can be role players and compete for NHL spots over the next 1-3 years.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Decent low risk trade. Jarventie was a waste of a pick when Peterka was available and hasn't been able to break out for us. Granted he's still cooking and is probably our 4th best prospect. Maybe Jarventie can find a top 9 scoring role in EDM down the road and Bourgault will get a chance to develop in a different environment and try making some noise for our bottom 6 as a call up in a year or two.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Decent low risk trade. Jarventie was a waste of a pick when Peterka was available and hasn't been able to break out for us. Granted he's still cooking and is probably our 4th best prospect. Maybe Jarventie can find a top 9 scoring role in EDM down the road and Bourgault will get a chance to develop in a different environment and try making some noise for our bottom 6 as a call up in a year or two.
Lol,

We're upset for taking Jarventie over Peterka, Oil were upset for talking Bourgault a pick before Wyatt Johnston

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Cool.

I don't know anything about the Edmonton pieces so I have no opinion on this trade.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Thank goodness there is some sort of logical explanation for this trade.
Basically a boom/bust prospect with 3 camps before waivers in exchange for a (arguably better) boom/bust prospect with 1

I dont really get why 4th and Chiasson were involved but maybe he will surprise us

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure why we did this.

Bourgault is the same age as Jarventie but just had a much worse season.

Jarventie put up 20 points in 22 games, Bourgault put up 20 points in 52 games.

Also Chiasson is a bust. Couldn't even make their AHL team and we threw in a 4th for some reason.
Oiler fan, peace, etc.

I'm very curious as to how Bourgault develops in another system. Bakersfield's head coach is extremely conservative and none of our young forwards have had good years under him and he favoured giving slugs like Caggiula and Griffith powerplay time over younger options.

The D and goalies are progressing well, but pretty much nobody up front has taken a step forward.

Ad

Ad

Ad