Confirmed with Link: Roby Järventie and 4th trade to EDM for Xavier Bourgault and Jake Chiasson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Ott get a warm body for Belleville in Chaisson and Edm get a do over in 4th.
Edm give up on Bourgualt who never settled in Bakersfield. Maybe a new start back east will revive him. Jarventie is a bandaid that Edmonton hopes will develop. Looks like two clubs throwing stuff against the wall hoping something sticks

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Staios clearing out all of Dorion's guys.
Kind of looks that way with the various guys in the pipeline moving on like Sokolov, Mandolese, and Jarventie.

I don’t know enough (or anything) about the new guys to make any kind of comment.

Reactions: Dionysus

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I hated the X-Borg draft the second they announced his name, (as a good number of us felt we should have went with other players who were more highly rated at the time of the draft).

Not sure if I understand this. Oilers picked him 22nd, McKenzie had him 20th OA on his list and the consensus rankings had him 24th (average of 15 various lists, including McKenzie)

He had shoulder surgery. :)
Surprise!! :)

I think he’ll have a decent season.

I'd be the first to welcome a nice surprise, Alfie knows how much we need them after the 7 years we just had. But 20 games in his D+1, 58 pts in 70 WHL games in his D+2 and a full ECHL season in his D+3 doesn't scream "NHL potential"

I thought Jarventie was really coming into his own. I think the knee injuries and this off season surgery probably represents risk that lowers his value. Jarventie improved every season and put up points at an increasing rate. Closer to 2021 the trade for Jarventie likely doesn't get made. I liked how Jarventie was improving. He is a bog body and his strength was improving as well. Bourgault's production rate dipped in his 2nd AHL season which isn't encouraging, I can't comment on his his situation with the Condors. I never watched a single game. At this point we can hope that its a better fit in Belleville and he gets his game back on track. It would be more encouraging if he had taken a step forward.

Yeah I think Jarventie was really coming into his own, he was matching nicely with Batherson and IMO it bodes well when you can complement such a highly skilled player. Injuries sucked though and if he just had a knee injury, there's definitely risk. For Bourgault, I don't know, I think we can forget about a Top-6 forward but I think he could end up in an useful bottom-6 forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The trade to me shows a trend. Staois has shipped out Sokolov and Jarventie, larger offensive guys who have had questions about their compete. Brings in a smaller offensive player who seems to be seen as a tenacious, more competitive type.

Trying to instill culture and a competitive identity throughout the organization.

Not to mention Chychrun, Joseph, and Kastelic who were all inconsistent in their effort.

I think you nailed it. They want guys who compete. See the same thing with contracts now, too, with giving Pinto a bridge instead of a long term deal. Spots won't be given away now in Ottawa or Belleville. Got to work for it and earn it, and then work even harder to keep your spot.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The trade to me shows a trend. Staois has shipped out Sokolov and Jarventie, larger offensive guys who have had questions about their compete. Brings in a smaller offensive player who seems to be seen as a tenacious, more competitive type.

Trying to instill culture and a competitive identity throughout the organization.

Not to mention Chychrun, Joseph, and Kastelic who were all inconsistent in their effort.
Nichols article (Staios thread) points out that moving on from Sokolov and Jarventie as well is part of that trend away from one dimensional offensive players. I can definitely see that , especially if you are trending towards bottom 6 vs top 6. Even in the top 6 a strong emphasis was placed on being accountable defensively and they went to school with JM and Alphie on that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I know him from his time with Saint John, he was one of, if not the go to guy for the Sens in Saint John when discussing Chabot, Joseph, Highmore (all were Sens), Zboril, Noel and the other guys on the Sea Dogs and other maritime teams the next few seasons; which is where he formed his relationship with the Sens, and Mann. His time in Shawinigan running their drafts when Bourgoult entered the league and what he thought of him definitely played a part in their assessment of him.

I’ve been saying for a few years, he needs to be given more pull with the scouting team. May be bias on my part, but what they’re doing elsewhere with other scouting areas isn’t working too well
Did he like zboril and Noel lol

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This seems like a pretty bad trade. Jarventie had improved every year, showed he could score in different pro leagues and has tangible NHL projectable skills.

I don't mind XB as a prospect but his value should have been significantly lower than Roby's. Chiasson is a just Edmonton offloading a contract slot, IMO.

Not a fan of this one.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This seems like a pretty bad trade. Jarventie had improved every year, showed he could score in different pro leagues and has tangible NHL projectable skills.

I don't mind XB as a prospect but his value should have been significantly lower than Roby's. Chiasson is a just Edmonton offloading a contract slot, IMO.

Not a fan of this one.
The fourth pick should have been the pick returned from mandolese or another late round pick like it.
But…..oh well not a big issue.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Not a fan of this one.

Jarventie has the training camp skills, doesn’t have the heart to be an NHL’er.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Oiler fan here.

I hated the X-Borg draft the second they announced his name, (as a good number of us felt we should have went with other players who were more highly rated at the time of the draft).

But I'm very heavily biased as I simply hate almost every QMJHL prospect. I personally think its an inferior league, and the forwards especially need way more development time getting up to speed.

That said X-Borg nearly made the team out of camp the year before and showed a high level of tenacity, and an ability to be hard on the puck. We sent him back to the farm as he clearly needed to figure out how to generate some semblance of offence at the pro level, but the rest of this game seemed pretty good back then....

.... but then he followed it up with a stinker of a season in the AHL. Worse numbers than the year before, which isn't something you ever want to see out of a D+3 prospect.

Our organization clearly didn't do him any favours.

Maybe he can become an impact player? Lord knows these QMJHL prospects seem to break out a bit later once they acclimate to the bigger and faster pro game.
But yeah, most of us on HFoil are pretty bitter we didn't take Wallstedt or Wyatt Johnson (at the advice of our coach Paul Coffey).
Agree with you on the Q somewhat. Usually skeptical of Q prospects.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Jarventie has the training camp skills, doesn’t have the heart to be an NHL’er.

Produced in every league he played in, including the AHL which is an all heart league.

Not saying he's a sure fire top 6 guy but I think he has a pretty chance of getting there. And if have ever does his ceiling is quite high (~30 goals).

Reactions: Xspyrit and OD99

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think you nailed it. They want guys who compete. See the same thing with contracts now, too, with giving Pinto a bridge instead of a long term deal. Spots won't be given away now in Ottawa or Belleville. Got to work for it and earn it, and then work even harder to keep your spot.

I'm totally going to evaluate the new management based on the changes that have been done to see if they have any idea of what they are doing.

Perron, Amadio, Gregor vs Tarasenko, Joseph, Kelly (+ 3rd round pick in 2025)

Jensen, Kleven (+ 3rd round pick in 2026) vs Chychrun, Brannstrom (actually going to look at if Hamonic plays at all which would mean that moving Brannstrom was very stupid)

Ullmark vs Korpisalo (and see if giving up the 25th OA pick, Kastelic and retaining 1M$ was worth it)

Second wave to keep track of is :

Bourgault, Jenik, Chiasson vs Jarventie, Sokolov, Mandolese (+ 4th round pick in 2025)

There's also Jamieson Rees that we acquired for a 2024 6th round pick, let's see if it was a good investment...

I'll be tracking offensive production, defensive play and that "compete" you're talking about.

IMO Kelly, Brannstrom and Joseph were among the HARDEST workers on this team and what we needed MORE of so I am curious to see how good (or stupid) these changes were.

Not a fan of this one.

Yeah, hard to like this one unless you hated Jarventie. If it was just a prospect swap without the 4th round pick, then I guess it would be fine but adding that pick seems like too much. Maybe they'll end up being "right" if Bourgault becomes a NHL regular and not Jarventie but as of now, overpayment.

I'm also curious to see where people will vote Bourgault in the prospects ranking, as Jarventie would/should have been 5th

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'll be tracking offensive production, defensive play and that "compete" you're talking about.

IMO Kelly, Brannstrom and Joseph were among the HARDEST workers on this team and what we needed MORE of so I am curious to see how good (or stupid) these changes were.
I think if we can't make the playoffs, Staios will have to move one of the more immediate core, of which I think that Stu, Brady and Sandy are untouchable, but guys like Chabot and Norris will be on the block. I think Norris would've been on the block regardless but no one wants that contract. Moving Norris would send a message as well considering his friendship with Brady and Chabot, even if he's competing as best as he can with his recovering shoulder

Reactions: Xspyrit

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure if I buy the excuse about Bakersfield not being able to develop offensive players, maybe the Oilers just haven't been good at drafting them. Their forwards put up pretty regular numbers compared to other teams. There's also the fact that Bourgault's numbers took a dip from the previous season. Just need to hope he's a late-bloomer.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm not sure if I buy the excuse about Bakersfield not being able to develop offensive players, maybe the Oilers just haven't been good at drafting them. Their forwards put up pretty regular numbers compared to other teams. There's also the fact that Bourgault's numbers took a dip from the previous season. Just need to hope he's a late-bloomer.
If its not on hockeydb it can't be true.

A couple Oiler fans identified it as an issue early in the thread... this is one... look back at the first couple pages .

Oiler fan, peace, etc.

I'm very curious as to how Bourgault develops in another system. Bakersfield's head coach is extremely conservative and none of our young forwards have had good years under him and he favoured giving slugs like Caggiula and Griffith powerplay time over younger options.

The D and goalies are progressing well, but pretty much nobody up front has taken a step forward.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I think it’s pretty fair to say the Oilers are not good at drafting.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Schaefer was traded before he got a season there, not even sure if he played a game or 2 in the AHL to end his first season after he was drafted.

Lavoie has improved, Holloway and Broberg did as well. At the end of the day Bourgault showed very well at his first camp and then had a meh rookie year and then a putrid sophomore season. IMO he needs to get stronger and faster to make it as a full time NHL player. I was telling people on our board that he had to kill it this season with at least 20 goals and 50 or more points in the AHL to get the stink off of his sophomore season and to be considered a legit NHL prospect again.

Not absolving the Condors coaching staff of anything here, but at the end of the day if a guy has high end skills he'll find his way almost regardless of the roadblocks put in front of him. here's to hoping that a change of scenery works for everyone.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm totally going to evaluate the new management based on the changes that have been done to see if they have any idea of what they are doing.

Perron, Amadio, Gregor vs Tarasenko, Joseph, Kelly (+ 3rd round pick in 2025)

Jensen, Kleven (+ 3rd round pick in 2026) vs Chychrun, Brannstrom (actually going to look at if Hamonic plays at all which would mean that moving Brannstrom was very stupid)

Ullmark vs Korpisalo (and see if giving up the 25th OA pick, Kastelic and retaining 1M$ was worth it)
Saved over 2M in cap space as well which got Pinto signed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Saved over 2M in cap space as well which got Pinto signed.

Tarasenko costs only 750,000$ more than Perron. Joseph and Kelly cost 325,000$ more than Amadio and Gregor. There was more than enough money to sign Pinto

Even Chychrun makes only 550,000$ more than Jensen

It looks more like a "culture change" than anything. Off-ice impact will be impossible to evaluate but it will be interesting to track on-ice contributions

Just in terms of offensive production, these 5 guys racked 53 goals, 102 assists and 155 points in 367 games and that's with Tarasenko being traded at the deadline. 12 goals and 35 pts in 82 games on average per player. We're talking about a Top-4 D-man, a 3rd pairing D-man, two 3rd line players (in usage) and a 4th liner. We'll see what we can get out of Perron, Amadio, Jensen, Kleven and Gregor

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Tarasenko costs only 750,000$ more than Perron. Joseph and Kelly cost 325,000$ more than Amadio and Gregor. There was more than enough money to sign Pinto

Even Chychrun makes only 550,000$ more than Jensen

It looks more like a "culture change" than anything. Off-ice impact will be impossible to evaluate but it will be interesting to track on-ice contributions

Just in terms of offensive production, these 5 guys racked 53 goals, 102 assists and 155 points in 367 games and that's with Tarasenko being traded at the deadline. 12 goals and 35 pts in 82 games on average per player. We're talking about a Top-4 D-man, a 3rd pairing D-man, two 3rd line players (in usage) and a 4th liner. We'll see what we can get out of Perron, Amadio, Jensen, Kleven and Gregor
Kelly was arb eligible so we weren’t getting for 900K, just like Brannstrom.

Reactions: Daxx01

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think if we can't make the playoffs, Staios will have to move one of the more immediate core, of which I think that Stu, Brady and Sandy are untouchable, but guys like Chabot and Norris will be on the block. I think Norris would've been on the block regardless but no one wants that contract. Moving Norris would send a message as well considering his friendship with Brady and Chabot, even if he's competing as best as he can with his recovering shoulder

Josh Norris is everything you want in a pro player.

The key to this team turning it around is the players we have getting better - not getting new players. As if any of this sad losing streak Ottawa is on for 7 years has anything to do with the players. Norris was seen as an essential piece and a steal in a draft like 16 months ago, and now everyone is anger trading him as a wake up call because the fans are frustrated and need an outlet and Norris is the guy now - stupid.

What message does trading Norris send? if you are sick of losing you too can get traded out of Ottawa? Like Staois is going to bully Brady Tkachuk into listening better so he plays better by trading his best friend? Like Stu is going to play 2 way by getting rid of Norris because he’ll be scared of being traded? Silly.

What is best for this team is having a culture that supports and protects the players that’s what moves the needle for Ottawa. These guys care, they have a champions will to win. Support them, don’t be angry at them because they got injured.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad