Confirmed with Link: Roby Järventie and 4th trade to EDM for Xavier Bourgault and Jake Chiasson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
4th was probably the most valuable piece, as it's a completely blank slate.

It was a Staios, as well as a De Blois move; he obviously had an interest in those guys from his time in Edmonton, and I'd think it wasn't that Chiasson cost a 4th, but that Bourgoult cost more than Jarventie. Think he still carried a sliver of value around the league. De Blois, who I think is probably the best scout they have on the staff at the moment, had Bourgoult for 2 years in Shawinigan and would have been the guy drafting him.

Chiasson seems like a Sebrango type prospect, shuttle back and forth from thw AHL/ECHL for a few years and then settle as an AHL lifer, we can hope for a resurgenece into an NHL prospect from Bourgoult with a new system and development path.

Jarventie I don't think had much of/any future in Ottawa, had a great toolkit, but wasn't putting them to much use, and I'm not sure how much he ever would in Ottawa. I loved his profile, really liked the pick when looking at what he "could become" but it's just another example of the Sens scouts drooling over size and tools and "potential" to become good instead of just looking at who the best players actually were

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Damn, I say this as a Bourgault fan (although I have cooled on his NHL upside), but this is a terrible trade

Chiasson has 0 value, why would you pay Jarventie and a 4th for Bourgault? I think he'll develop into a good defensive forward but Jarventie has much higher upside as of now and we are adding a 4th round pick...

Another uncanny Staios trade, I really don't like the way he trades.

I still like the fact that we acquired Bourgault but it seems like a straight up overpayment
It certainly seems like a substantial overpayment. With the info I have ; I don't get the trade.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I still don't get the point of this trade

At best it feels like shuffling the deck chairs,
Staios likely liked Bourgoult in Edmonton, Chaisson is likely AHL/ECHL filler that's pretty irrelevant

De Blois drafted Bourgoult to Shawinigan, and then had him for a year while he worked with both Ottawa and Shawinigan, he'd have had a ton of input here.

It's a shuffling if the deck chairs, for a guy that the GM wanted/had familiarty with for a guy who we should agree didn't have a route to the Sens.

Reactions: aragorn and PlayOn

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
4th was probably the most valuable piece, as it's a completely blank slate.

It was a Staios, as well as a De Blois move; he obviously had an interest in those guys from his time in Edmonton, and I'd think it wasn't that Chiasson cost a 4th, but that Bourgoult cost more than Jarventie. Think he still carried a sliver of value around the league. De Blois, who I think is probably the best scout they have on the staff at the moment, had Bourgoult for 2 years in Shawinigan and would have been the guy drafting him.

Chiasson seems like a Sebrango type prospect, shuttle back and forth from thw AHL/ECHL for a few years and then settle as an AHL lifer, we can hope for a resurgenece into an NHL prospect from Bourgoult with a new system and development path.

Jarventie I don't think had much of/any future in Ottawa, had a great toolkit, but wasn't putting them to much use, and I'm not sure how much he ever would in Ottawa. I loved his profile, really liked the pick when looking at what he "could become" but it's just another example of the Sens scouts drooling over size and tools and "potential" to become good instead of just looking at who the best players actually were

Curious to hear what makes you so high on De Blois as a scout.

Other than what Elite Prospects tells me, I don't know much about him, and we've barely drafted out of his region since he's been on staff. Two Maritimes guys in Sokolov and Daoust, which was also Mann's territory, and then Guenette back in 2019.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Honestly, this is more than likely an exchange of career AHLers. Jarventie might have a streak or two of scoring if he learns how to position himself well and McDrai feed him the puck.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I still don't get the point of this trade

At best it feels like shuffling the deck chairs,

Left shot depth for right shot depth, might also be Staois and Bowness want to open up a spot on the Belleville PP and so they moved Jarventie to get to her Guys more touches

Staios clearing out all of Dorion's guys.

We find out Ryan Bowness has been wearing a Wayne Gretzky mask whenever Steve Staois is around

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Curious to hear what makes you so high on De Blois as a scout.

Other than what Elite Prospects tells me, I don't know much about him, and we've barely drafted out of his region since he's been on staff. Two Maritimes guys in Sokolov and Daoust, which was also Mann's territory, and then Guenette back in 2019.
I know him from his time with Saint John, he was one of, if not the go to guy for the Sens in Saint John when discussing Chabot, Joseph, Highmore (all were Sens), Zboril, Noel and the other guys on the Sea Dogs and other maritime teams the next few seasons; which is where he formed his relationship with the Sens, and Mann. His time in Shawinigan running their drafts when Bourgoult entered the league and what he thought of him definitely played a part in their assessment of him.

I’ve been saying for a few years, he needs to be given more pull with the scouting team. May be bias on my part, but what they’re doing elsewhere with other scouting areas isn’t working too well

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think we are getting bourgault mixed up with another prospect. Bourgault is a small play making winger. There was another guy in that draft would was a nut case with a very very similar name
Perhaps Zach L'Heureux (I butchered that I am sure)? He's the chippy player always right on that edge. Often suspended in the Q. I think L'Heureux is def better but Bourqault played a well rounded game, not particularly flashes but he was creative and a good passer. Played C in junior but I think a winger as a pro.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
After the Brian Lee pick and the Boucher pick I think passing on Peterka was the most upset I’ve been with our draft selections
I think for me it was passing on carlo. No wait. It was white over boeser.

Reactions: DJB

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oiler fan here.

I hated the X-Borg draft the second they announced his name, (as a good number of us felt we should have went with other players who were more highly rated at the time of the draft).

But I'm very heavily biased as I simply hate almost every QMJHL prospect. I personally think its an inferior league, and the forwards especially need way more development time getting up to speed.

That said X-Borg nearly made the team out of camp the year before and showed a high level of tenacity, and an ability to be hard on the puck. We sent him back to the farm as he clearly needed to figure out how to generate some semblance of offence at the pro level, but the rest of this game seemed pretty good back then....

.... but then he followed it up with a stinker of a season in the AHL. Worse numbers than the year before, which isn't something you ever want to see out of a D+3 prospect.

Our organization clearly didn't do him any favours.

Maybe he can become an impact player? Lord knows these QMJHL prospects seem to break out a bit later once they acclimate to the bigger and faster pro game.
But yeah, most of us on HFoil are pretty bitter we didn't take Wallstedt or Wyatt Johnson (at the advice of our coach Paul Coffey).

Reactions: Icelevel and LiseL

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think Chiasson has some value. At the very least will help Belleville middle 6. We’ll see

I don't know... a 4th round pick from 3 years who was below PPG in the WHL then couldn't make the AHL and scored 20 pts in 68 EHL games? I mean, he makes Tyler Boucher look like a good prospect.

The more you learn about the Dorion era, the more you see how my avatar is fitting. The Senators have literally been the Santa Claus of the NHL since we gave Zibanejad away

It certainly seems like a substantial overpayment. With the info I have ; I don't get the trade.

I'd understand if we were closer to the 2021 draft at least as Bourgault was seen as the 24th best prospect in the consensus ranking and 20th on McKenzie's list. Jarventie was 52nd on McKenzie's 2020 list and 54th in the consensus ranking. There use to be a substantial difference but now with 2 Bourgault AHL seasons.... I'd say Jarventie has more value or at least pretty equal

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don't know... a 4th round pick from 3 years that was below PPG in the WHL then couldn't make the AHL and scored 20 pts in 68 EHL games? I mean, he makes Tyler Boucher look like a good prospect.

The more you learn about the Dorion era, the more you see how my avatar is fitting. The Senators have literally been the Santa Claus of the NHL since we gave Zibanejad away

I'd understand if we were closer to the 2021 draft at least as Bourgault was seen as the 24th best prospect in the consensus ranking and 20th on McKenzie's list. Jarventie was 52nd on McKenzie's 2020 list and 54th in the consensus ranking. There use to be a substantial difference but now with 2 Bourgault AHL seasons.... I'd say Jarventie has more value or at least pretty equal
He had shoulder surgery. :)
Surprise!! :)

I think he’ll have a decent season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't know... a 4th round pick from 3 years that was below PPG in the WHL then couldn't make the AHL and scored 20 pts in 68 EHL games? I mean, he makes Tyler Boucher look like a good prospect.

I thought Jarventie was really coming into his own. I think the knee injuries and this off season surgery probably represents risk that lowers his value. Jarventie improved every season and put up points at an increasing rate. Closer to 2021 the trade for Jarventie likely doesn't get made. I liked how Jarventie was improving. He is a bog body and his strength was improving as well. Bourgault's production rate dipped in his 2nd AHL season which isn't encouraging, I can't comment on his his situation with the Condors. I never watched a single game. At this point we can hope that its a better fit in Belleville and he gets his game back on track. It would be more encouraging if he had taken a step forward.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This has DiMaio written all over it. 2 years as GM of San Diego means he had a ton of views.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
The trade to me shows a trend. Staois has shipped out Sokolov and Jarventie, larger offensive guys who have had questions about their compete. Brings in a smaller offensive player who seems to be seen as a tenacious, more competitive type.

Trying to instill culture and a competitive identity throughout the organization.

Not to mention Chychrun, Joseph, and Kastelic who were all inconsistent in their effort.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
The trade to me shows a trend. Staois has shipped out Sokolov and Jarventie, larger offensive guys who have had questions about their compete. Brings in a smaller offensive player who seems to be seen as a tenacious, more competitive type.

Trying to instill culture and a competitive identity throughout the organization.

Not to mention Chychrun, Joseph, and Kastelic who were all inconsistent in their effort.

There's similarities to the Jamieson Rees trade, too. Bourgault leans more skill and Rees leans more checker, but they're both players he'd have known coming out of junior, both former high picks, both on the smaller side and both starting to stall in their development at the AHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad