Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Offer sheets happen at a rate of about one successful one per decade.

Two tendered to one team is predatory. The GM community is an old boys club and Armstrong just spat on that.

Attachments

• worlds-smallest-violin.gif
    worlds-smallest-violin.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well unfortunately or fortunately, I can't see the Oilers being in any position to grudge over these two players for a decade or so.

Let's be realistic, losing these two players probably won't hurt the Oilers too bad for a couple years without some growth. At that point Edmonton will have some cap space to replenish. There is risk involved with both players, they have some time at the NHL level and haven't produced at a high level.

I would be much more concerned on Edmonton's side about what happens next season when you have about 24m in cap to sign Bouchard and Draisaitl to long term deals with 15 players signed and 22+ will easily be needed for Bouchard and Draisaitl. The rising cap will probably help them be able to do that, but it's still not necessarily pretty.

If the front office of Edmonton were that concerned about losing either one of these players, they could have easily avoided it by not lowballing the players and not signing 4 or 5 veterans on July 1. It's completely self-inflicted.

Also, why in the world would other teams care? If anything this did a favor to the teams that are competing in the NHL right now by potentially cutting some of Edmonton's depth. GMs have to be worried about their team, not the feelings of a Edmonton.
Do you remember the fallout from the Kotkaniemi offer sheet? Montreal f***ed around and paid the price. Now, it didn't work out particularly well for the Hurricanes, but the fact remains there was fallout.

Every team has cap issues. Its unavoidable when you're competitive. There are plenty of other teams out there with good young RFA's sitting around, but Edmonton's the one that gets not one but two offer sheets? Far be it for me to call Armstrong a lying bald asshat, but it sure feels pretty personal.

There are plenty of young RFA's still out there looking for contracts. St Louis' time will come, and hockey organizations have long, long memories.

Edmonton set themselves up to get burned.
by having cap issues? Half the teams in the league have cap issues.

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
Personally think the Oilers win in long haul here. Holloway is the real loss here. I doubt Broberg lives up the contract. Also players get more money but they obviously have no care to win as the blues won't contend shit for years. That said money matters more for many. A mistake as old as the test of time. People see this money and new build houses as power failing to understand real power.

Oilers playing 5d chess, but shills can't look below the surface.

Broberg 4.5 million. Gtfo blues won this shit

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I have to say I am very surprised at this...I thought the Oilers would match on at least one of these chaps.....good for St. Louis though.....however the Oilers have made some nice moves during this off season so I don't think the impact of losing these 2 is going to be all that bad.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If any GM views it that way, then frankly it's time for them find new jobs.
An easy thing to say when you're on the right end of the offer sheet. I think you'd be singing a different tune if you'd just gotten poached.

That being said, Broberg is a monumental overpayment and at that price you're welcome to him. The guy I don't understand not matching is Holloway.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
An easy thing to say when you're on the right end of the offer sheet. I think you'd be singing a different tune if you'd just gotten poached.

That being said, Broberg is a monumental overpayment and at that price you're welcome to him. The guy I don't understand not matching is Holloway.
Pissed, sure. But I'd argue you're pissed at the wrong people, lol. Complete miss on EDM's part to leave two young players unsigned with no cap space. That blame rests solely on the Oilers.

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино

Two tendered to one team is predatory. The GM community is an old boys club and Armstrong just spat on that.

Might take awhile, but make absolutely no mistake about it, the Blues earned themselves an enemy with this move and Edmonton will absolutely look to put the screws to them one way or another, 3rd round pick and a B prospect apology or not.
I'm sure the Blues are really shaking in their boots.

200w.gif

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Do you remember the fallout from the Kotkaniemi offer sheet? Montreal f***ed around and paid the price. Now, it didn't work out particularly well for the Hurricanes, but the fact remains there was fallout.

Every team has cap issues. Its unavoidable when you're competitive. There are plenty of other teams out there with good young RFA's sitting around, but Edmonton's the one that gets not one but two offer sheets? Far be it for me to call Armstrong a lying bald asshat, but it sure feels pretty personal.

There are plenty of young RFA's still out there looking for contracts. St Louis' time will come, and hockey organizations have long, long memories.

by having cap issues? Half the teams in the league have cap issues.

Personal for what? The Oilers hiring the GM they chose? If it were personal, St Louis wouldn't have added a 3rd and Fischer for FC. St. Louis wanted these two players, who Edmonton clearly had no regard for.

There are plenty of RFAs out there, but in terms of liklihood of filling what the Blues needed and guys that fit the Blues there really weren't that wouldn't cost the 1st round pick to go after there really weren't.

Nick Robertson - Small scoring winger - not really a Blues players
Harley - 1st or it would've been matched
Beniers - 1st or it would've been matched
Necas - Signed already
Swayman - no need with our goalies
Kalieyev - Why?

Who are you suggesting that the Blues should've chased instead?

Sure there's a realistic possibility that someone from the Blues gets offer sheeted. That will be long past Armstrong's tenure. The Blues have 5 significant contracts on the books that last longer than 3 seasons. Thomas, Kyrou, Buch, Parayko, Schenn. That's a total of roughly 37m or what's projected to be probably 30-35% of the cap at that point in time. The largest scare of an offersheet we will have down the road will be once our group of Dvorsky, Snuggerud, Stenberg, Lindstein get to their 2nd contract. And if two of them are offersheeted it likely means we didn't really need them too much anyways. Probably the viewpoint the Oilers are looking at with Broberg and Holloway which is completely accpetable.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Might take awhile, but make absolutely no mistake about it, the Blues earned themselves an enemy with this move and Edmonton will absolutely look to put the screws to them one way or another, 3rd round pick and a B prospect apology or not.
This is a post out of anger and not of logical thinking. The odds we see any retaliation from this is minimal. Bowman isn’t exactly a revered GM around the league, most will probably agree that this is something he had coming his way.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Pissed, sure. But I'd argue you're pissed at the wrong people, lol. Complete miss on EDM's part to leave two young players unsigned with no cap space. That blame rests solely on the Oilers.
Yes, if there's one thing I'm known for, it's going easy on Oilers management.

Toronto (Robertson), Nashville (Tomasino), and New Jersey (Mercer) are in similar positions with some of their young RFA's. Presumably they deserve whatever happens to them too?
I'm sure the Blues are really shaking in their boots.

200w.gif
Speaking of shaking in their boots, yours must have been covered in your own piss when the Oilers were a game away from a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
We paid the price as fans in Montreal for a terrible offersheet that had no chance of happening in Aho. That was 5 years ago and we still hear about it. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out long term around the league even if it’s lesser names. Teams seem reluctant to do these for a reason.
We don’t hear about the offer sheets that don’t get accepted, for all we know these happen more often than fans think.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois

Toronto (Robertson), Nashville (Tomasino), and New Jersey (Mercer) are in similar positions with some of their young RFA's. Presumably they deserve whatever happens to them too?
Sure. If a team values those players and thinks it's worth the compensation, absolutely.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино

Speaking of shaking in their boots, yours must have been covered in your own piss when the Oilers were a game away from a Stanley Cup.
Nah. The cats had that cup in the bag.:popcorn:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Personal for what? The Oilers hiring the GM they chose? If it were personal, St Louis wouldn't have added a 3rd and Fischer for FC. St. Louis wanted these two players, who Edmonton clearly had no regard for.

There are plenty of RFAs out there, but in terms of liklihood of filling what the Blues needed and guys that fit the Blues there really weren't that wouldn't cost the 1st round pick to go after there really weren't.

Nick Robertson - Small scoring winger - not really a Blues players
Harley - 1st or it would've been matched
Beniers - 1st or it would've been matched
Necas - Signed already
Swayman - no need with our goalies
Kalieyev - Why?

Who are you suggesting that the Blues should've chased instead?

Sure there's a realistic possibility that someone from the Blues gets offer sheeted. That will be long past Armstrong's tenure. The Blues have 5 significant contracts on the books that last longer than 3 seasons. Thomas, Kyrou, Buch, Parayko, Schenn. That's a total of roughly 37m or what's projected to be probably 30-35% of the cap at that point in time. The largest scare of an offersheet we will have down the road will be once our group of Dvorsky, Snuggerud, Stenberg, Lindstein get to their 2nd contract. And if two of them are offersheeted it likely means we didn't really need them too much anyways. Probably the viewpoint the Oilers are looking at with Broberg and Holloway which is completely accpetable.
Armstrong and Bowman have had a long running feud for ages. It's pretty unbelievable that he just so happens to issue two offer sheets to two guys that haven't accomplished much of anything from a team that hired the guy he just so happens to have a rivalry with. I don't care if it IS personal, but at least have the balls to say so. This isn't just happenstance.

I don't care why the Blues did what they did. What I am saying is that every competitive team finds themselves in a similar position to Edmonton where cap space gets tight and RFA negotiations drag out. Most of them get away with it because there's an unspoken rule that offer sheets are faux pas. Armstrong ignored that, which is all well and good, but he'd better be real careful to not find himself in the same position. It won't go well.

Nah. The cats had that cup in the bag.:popcorn:
The cats were drunk on catnip for a week before they remembered these games were kind of important.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
If true, well f***ing played Armstrong. Masterclass on how to weaponize our cap space. Low risk, extremely high reward from the Blues perspective
The Blues showing the league that offer sheets should become a strategy in the future. Teams aren't going to be as aggressive in spending knowing that their players can be poached.

Reactions: Memento

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah I'm sure the NHL community is shedding tears because something "predatory" happened to Stan Bowman

Karma's a bitch
I hate Bowman, and hated his hire.

Karma is indeed a bitch, and she takes notes and has a very long memory.

Sure. If a team values those players and thinks it's worth the compensation, absolutely.
Great, and their fans aren't allowed to be upset about it or hope for retribution either? Do the Stars not value Harley or the Devils not value Mercer because negotiations are taking awhile?

The Blues are the bad guy here. Embrace that role. The "f***ed around" phase is always fun. It's the "finding out" part that's not fun for anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: Shwabeal

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
If you get paid 4x the amount you were offered by your previous employer, you'd take it and run. That's what Broberg did. With Holloway it's only around 2x.
If someone decided to headhunt me and offered me double or more then my current salary and everything else being equal, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Loyalty does not get an employee rewarded often enough and is a 2 way street. I'm guessing 99% of the people here would do the same if they were a FTE.

Reactions: Memento

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
other fanbases acting like we lost McDavid/Draisaitl to offersheets. these guys are nothing players who both got replaced by equal players age and potential wise within a week by the organization. the real loss for oilers is trading Ceci, regardless of his on-ice performance, the player will be missed.

complete Bowman masterclass this past week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad