Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Niemela projects as a 3rd pairing dman. Some wanted more.
I’m not sure where that narrative started, but I think it’s rooted in impatient analysis.

He just has his first full season in North America and put up 39pts in 68games. No glaring flaws aside from being slight. He played against men as a teenager, and well. Always described as smart and calm.

Opportunity and market are probably a more significant barrier than his size.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Niemela needs to work on foot speed, if he's not massive, he needs to be faster.

Defenseman take a while to truly know what you have, I thought he looked overwhelmed at times last pre-season so I hope in the pre-season he makes a positive impression and puts himself in line for a call up and maybe be an option for the 25-26 club.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think Niemela needs to work on foot speed, if he's not massive, he needs to be faster.

Defenseman take a while to truly know what you have, I thought he looked overwhelmed at times last pre-season so I hope in the pre-season he makes a positive impression and puts himself in line for a call up and maybe be an option for the 25-26 club.

Niemela has some really nice aspects to his game. I think as much as foot speed, he needs to continue to think the game on a faster pace... react to plays quicker. He has really good decision making, but as he attempts to move to the NHL, it's a faster game. I like what he brings offensively, his vision and puck moving ability. He reads plays well defensively, and has sound positioning for sure... but that decision making speed can make up a little for the foot speed... if he can also improve the foot speed, that would be great.

This will be a really interesting season for him. Of course, you want him to work on the defensive side of the game, but it wouldn't shock me to see him top 5 in scoring in the AHL for D-men, if he spends most of his season there, and is healthy. He has a reasonable shot as well, I'd like to see him use that more.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Niemela has some really nice aspects to his game. I think as much as foot speed, he needs to continue to think the game on a faster pace... react to plays quicker. He has really good decision making, but as he attempts to move to the NHL, it's a faster game. I like what he brings offensively, his vision and puck moving ability. He reads plays well defensively, and has sound positioning for sure... but that decision making speed can make up a little for the foot speed... if he can also improve the foot speed, that would be great.

This will be a really interesting season for him. Of course, you want him to work on the defensive side of the game, but it wouldn't shock me to see him top 5 in scoring in the AHL for D-men, if he spends most of his season there, and is healthy. He has a reasonable shot as well, I'd like to see him use that more.

Hopefully it comes to him, kinda reminds me of Ville Pokka when he was with the Blackhawks organization, couldn't break out.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hopefully it comes to him, kinda reminds me of Ville Pokka when he was with the Blackhawks organization, couldn't break out.

That's altogether feasible. With his size, it's a bit of boom or bust. I mean he could end up like a Brodie, or he could end up back in Europe. There is a lot to like in his game, he has excellent parts to his defensive game, and the way he reads things... but maybe he doesn't adjust to the speed of the NHL game, or maybe he just is a fraction too slow on the skates. I think that really is the make or break for him... can he play the NHL defensive game? He's not super small, but smaller guys need to be exceptional hockey players, to succeed at the NHL D game. I think his offensive game can translate though.. but if his defensive doesn't, who cares??

He's intriguing though, and I think he'll get opportunity as the #1 on the Marlies this year.

D-men are so unpredictable.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's altogether feasible. With his size, it's a bit of boom or bust. I mean he could end up like a Brodie, or he could end up back in Europe. There is a lot to like in his game, he has excellent parts to his defensive game, and the way he reads things... but maybe he doesn't adjust to the speed of the NHL game, or maybe he just is a fraction too slow on the skates. I think that really is the make or break for him... can he play the NHL defensive game? He's not super small, but smaller guys need to be exceptional hockey players, to succeed at the NHL D game. I think his offensive game can translate though.. but if his defensive doesn't, who cares??

He's intriguing though, and I think he'll get opportunity as the #1 on the Marlies this year.

D-men are so unpredictable.

If we don't like his progress or doubts about his future, we can always use him as a trade piece later in the year to bolster the big club like the NYI did with Pokka, his stock isn't shot and we'd have the best handle on his development.

On the other hand, we don't have a lot or RD coming and already have been waiting a while so this season should help give a clearer picture on his path forward.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
If we don't like his progress or doubts about his future, we can always use him as a trade piece later in the year to bolster the big club like the NYI did with Pokka, his stock isn't shot and we'd have the best handle on his development.

On the other hand, we don't have a lot or RD coming and already have been waiting a while so this season should help give a clearer picture on his path forward.
100%, this season will be big for him. He's in a great spot to take a step and show what he can do.

He heads into the season as the projected top pair RD on the team, set up well with seemingly very good potential partners for him in Webber/Middleton and will be the #1 PP QB.

Assuming health issues don't get in the way we should have a pretty good idea whether or not he has a NHL future by the end of the season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I’m not sure where that narrative started, but I think it’s rooted in impatient analysis.

He just has his first full season in North America and put up 39pts in 68games. No glaring flaws aside from being slight. He played against men as a teenager, and well. Always described as smart and calm.

He won't crack top 4 with our vet defense and Danford will leap frog him. He could go well with Benoit.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Are any of the AHL contracts or FA invites long-term project candidates? Who's the next Marchment/Holl/McMann/Rifai?

That's hard to predict to be honest.

Quillan is a C, who had really good NCAA numbers. He is quick, drives the net hard, good at Faceoffs, can PK, can PP.... There is a player there, but is it NHL quality? It's way too soon to say either way. He's a NHL contract though.

I guess there is Alex Nylander... he's on an AHL contract.

Chas Sharpe is on an AHL contract. 6'3" RD, that was the captain of Mississauga, and put up good numbers. He's a D, so who knows where that development goes.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
liked mastrosimone last year as an energy guy, hope he can take a step forward this season

He's a fast and feisty player. I don't see enough skill and ceiling for his size and playstyle but I can see a good Marlies/AHLer.

Last edited:

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
The problem with Sparks was that he overplayed shots and spent half his time flopping around on the ice. Against low percentage shooters in the AHL he could get away with those flaws but the NHL forwards just chewed him up. That’s why consistency and technique matter.

I don’t see Hildeby having those problems.
My bad. I wasn't comparing Hildeby to Sparks. I think he's the real deal. I was specifically referring to the Russian boys. We shouldn't be judging them just yet on their AHL/ECHL performance. Too little time and too many factors to get a clear picture at this early stage.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018

His description reminds me of Rasmus Sandin 2.0 - and kinda sorta looks like him too

Reactions: aingefan

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Main similarity is production, maybe weight.
I think Niemela might be a bit more cerebral, but a lil less quick to offence.
Similar impacts would be pretty great tho.
Better skater no? Sanding struggled at times with his first step and would tend to get turnstiled every now and then

Reactions: aingefan

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

No kidding. There's only been one D man taken after him that's played NHL games and we are already limiting a 22 yr Old's potential that was taken in the 3rd round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad