Confirmed Signing with Link: Oilers decline to match offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
BLACK-COPY-NHL-SC-WINNERS-1-digit.png

The Panthers were older than any team since 2008 to win, so what again is this data supposed to tell me?

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
During the season?!?!?! I think its more between now and training camp. That is not a Stanley Cup playoff defense.

The Oilers don't have much space to add someone now, but if they wait until the deadline, they would be able to accrue over 4 million and then they could add a more impactful Dman

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Not sure if it was posted in this thread (too lazy to look), but with the news coming out that Broberg needed at least 80 games to be eligible for an offer sheet and the Oilers playing him in the last two meaningless games to get him to 81 is crazy to think. How Holland conned the Oilers out of $5M a season to not pay attention to details is beyond me.
After game 79 you just know half of the other GM’s were refreshing twitter waiting to see if Holland was oblivious enough to let him dress for that 80th

• Haha
Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You definitely missed the latest trade of a 3rd for future considerations.
I just got home from work. I didnt check capwages or any other hockey site yet. but still only cost 2nd + 3rd, any other deal has nothing to do with the cost to acquire these players.
maybe cost to dump a player they dont want anymore. thats just the cost of business.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
they only paid a 2nd + 3rd. the other 2nd + 3rd has nothing to do with Broberg or Holloway.
they paid 2nd+3rd in offer sheet, had to trade 3rd+prospect for edmonton, had to pay an extra 3rd to pittsburgh to get their 2nd back from them, and to compensate for the massive overpayment they gave relative to cap, they had to pay another 2nd to clear hayes.

If they didn't dump hayes, they would be over the cap right now.

So:

2nd+2nd+3rd+3rd+3rd+prospect

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You definitely missed the latest trade of a 3rd for future considerations.
I did miss that one. okay I guess it did cost Fischer + 2nd + 2x 3rds
I didnt realize it was sent to EDM.
if it was sent to any other team then Id argue still only 2nd + 3rd

they paid 2nd+3rd in offer sheet, had to trade 3rd+prospect for edmonton, had to pay an extra 3rd to pittsburgh to get their 2nd back from them, and to compensate for the massive overpayment they gave relative to cap, they had to pay another 2nd to clear hayes.

So:

ahhh tru didnt realize they had to trade for their own 2nd back.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The Panthers were older than any team since 2008 to win, so what again is this data supposed to tell me?
That they're the exception, not the rule. Moreover, they were 28.46 last year.

Oilers are currently 30.27, which would make them older than the 2002 Wings who only had about half a dozen hall of famers on their roster, compared with the Oilers two.

As of right now, the Oilers are an older and considerably slower team that's weaker defensively than they were last year. No doubt they'll try to use the picks they've received to possibly make some upgrades but until then, it's a fascinating strategy.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
It's extremely common that teams that lose in the finals one year don't make it back the next. Florida was the exception.

Does that mean the Oilers were a fluke? No.

Does that mean that the trio can't make it again? No.

It's just a stat that means nothing to his argument.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
During the season?!?!?! I think its more between now and training camp. That is not a Stanley Cup playoff defense.
Color me silly but the Oilers had top 10 defensive metrics since the early season woes without Broberg playing much and a combination of Ceci and Desharnais. I really don't think Emberson, Brown and Stecher are a clear downgrade. Holloway and McLeod definitely weren't doing much defensively either. Some people really live in a box with preconceived notions though.

That they're the exception, not the rule. Moreover, they were 28.46 last year.

Oilers are currently 30.27, which would make them older than the 2002 Wings who only had about half a dozen hall of famers on their roster, compared with the Oilers two.

As of right now, the Oilers are an older and considerably slower team that's weaker defensively than they were last year. No doubt they'll try to use the picks they've received to possibly make some upgrades but until then, it's a fascinating strategy.
Why exactly are they weaker defensively? People shit on Ceci and Desharnais all year but now they are some magical defensive stalwarts.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021

Idk how much you can really gather from these rankings when they don’t consider players’ ages relative to the roles they play on their teams.

If Team A has a 38 y/o 1D and a 22 y/o 6D, and Team B has the ages reversed, it would be hard to argue that team A is not the older team (all other things being equal). But these these rankings treat them as being equivalent.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

So:

If they didn’t dump Hayes they probably wouldn’t have explored taking on Faksa or Joseph for free either.

You seem to be stuck on the whole without digesting the whole picture.

They also probably wouldn’t have gotten the extra 3rd they got for taking on Joseph if they really needed the cap to make this work.

Or traded the 4th for Texier.

The cap to the Blues matters far worse than having a group of young players and building a young core group for the future.

Also, this wasa a pretty good interview with Army regarding the situation for all who would like to watch:

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Idk how much you can really gather from these rankings when they don’t consider players’ ages relative to the roles they play on their teams.

If Team A has a 38 y/o 1D and a 22 y/o 6D, and Team B has the ages reversed, it would be hard to argue that team A is not the older team (all other things being equal). But these these rankings treat them as being equivalent.

Those rankings also ignore 1) it's the middle of summer and final rosters aren't even known yet 2) older rosters appear to be the trend now, with FLA, CAR, BOS, COL, DAL, NYR, TB, and VGK all 29 or older. Unless @Some Other Flame believes BUF is clearly going to win the Cup, that chart is in fact next to useless.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Tough to lose two young players like that after investing in their development and having them play some significant minutes in a long playoff run. One would expect a couple of 22-yr olds would grow from that experience.
If you get paid 4x the amount you were offered by your previous employer, you'd take it and run. That's what Broberg did. With Holloway it's only around 2x.

Reactions: Roadrage

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
every GM? I think there's only one that likely isn't happy.
And even that one understands how it works. The notion that offer sheets are going to cause the world to turn against you is silly. I mean, it might lead to a fight in a barn if the wrong guys are involved, but most professionals won't take these moves personally.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
And even that one understands how it works. The notion that offer sheets are going to cause the world to turn against you is silly. I mean, it might lead to a fight in a barn if the wrong guys are involved, but most professionals won't take these moves personally.
Oh GM's get mas when their players get offer sheets and even more so when the leave. I swear I recall ANA being pissed at EDM for a very very very long time over Dustin Penner

then Kotkaneimi cause MTL with Aho few years earlier

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oh GM's get mas when their players get offer sheets and even more so when the leave. I swear I recall ANA being pissed at EDM for a very very very long time over Dustin Penner

then Kotkaneimi cause MTL with Aho few years earlier
Get mad, okay, but not boycott the rest of the league or whatever. Modern GM's know its part of the business and not an attack.

The Kevin Lowe-Brian Burke situation was covered in my barn fight comment, but that wasn't the offer sheet alone, that's just where the animosity seemed to begin. Burke's response to the offer sheet was to repeatedly piss and moan in the media about how Kevin Lowe destroyed the market for second contract players and suggested that Lowe was a bad manager. In one of Lowe's responses, he even called Burke out as a stupid for drafting Bobby Ryan 2nd overall (that was a huge dick move). That led to Burke challenging Lowe to a fist fight in a barn somewhere. Not exactly the professionals I was referring to, ha ha.

I think the Kotkaneimi one is a good example of what letting your emotions get in the way of logic over offer sheets can do to hurt you. Carolina didn't win that situation in the long run.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
The blues significantly overpaid contract wise, and have now hampered themselves in future negotiations with RFAs.

If I'm Hofers agent I'm a very happy man right now.

Difference is, we can pay Hofer, Neighbours, Toropchenko, and maybe even Pierre-Olivier Joseph with our capspace and the contracts that will very likely come off our books (Saad is a likely trade chip during midseason, Faksa is a likely trade chip during midseason, Krug is a likely trade chip in the offseason, Mathieu Joseph's contract comes off the books after this year, possibly Binnington is a trade chip if Hofer and Zherenko excel, etc.)

The most we're paying players is Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou (both around 8.1 million AAV). If there's one amazing thing about Armstrong, he always manages to find the value of players without overpaying.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I can hear the tires screeching on the car that was speeding forward screaming “Broberg and Holloway are young players with tremendous upside” Tokyo drifting into the 180 of “these guys both suck I am glad they are gone”

Hilarious reading Oilers fans in here. In the other thread where it looked like they would match Broberg and let Holloway go Broberg was going to be elite and Holloway sucked anyways. Now in this thread they both suck haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad