Contract Termination: [CAR] F Evgeny Kuznetsov and the Hurricanes mutually terminate contract

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So Canes will get all of his salary Cap back for 2024-2025?

If the contract is mutually terminated, which this would be, yes.

That seems an odd move, he'd be giving up quite a bit of money to go to the KHL wouldn't he?

SKA is one of the few teams that can afford to pay NHL salaries. I doubt he'll be making anywhere near as much this season, but over four years he'll probably do just fine. He only had one year remaining on his NHL deal and he'll likely be making more in Russia than a NHL team would offer going forward.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's so damn talented. He was among my favourite prospects back in the day. Shame to see him have fallen like this, but he has no one to blame except himself.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
SKA is one of the few teams that can afford to pay NHL salaries. I doubt he'll be making anywhere near as much this season, but over four years he'll probably do just fine. He only had one year remaining on his NHL deal and he'll likely be making more in Russia than a NHL team would offer going forward.
Presumably his $2M signing bonus was paid July 1 so that leaves $6M in base salary. After agents fees, escrow, taxes etc....the take-home is probably half? I don't know the tax situation in Russia though or how much he could make and how quickly.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Presumably his $2M signing bonus was paid July 1 so that leaves $6M in base salary. After agents fees, escrow, taxes etc....the take-home is probably half? I don't know the tax situation in Russia though or how much he could make and how quickly.
They still get the signing bonus even though they are leaving the team voluntarily?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Walking away from 8 million.

Does he give his 2 million of signing bonus back if he doesn't stay? Usually those are paid July 1st.

Curious how much the KHL is offering.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Not surprising.

I think Canes propably knew this in advance when trading for him. Trading even a 3rd for that contract with another year left was a brutal move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad