Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Let JFK slide with debrusk David goes to first and trust your picks to perform. No need to do a panic bent over trade like the rick Nash debacle.
I'd take that "debacle" as second line rw this year when everyone is healthy, better option than the void Sweeney has left so far..

Reactions: Strafer

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
David Backes is barely a 4th line winger at this point. Barely. They’re obviously in a dire spot here, but 2nd line center seems a bit of a stretch.

I wonder if backes sucks as bad defensively as he is struggling offensively? his takaways are 9... giveaways are 3... hes an even on the plus minus... he hasn't been hitting the way he did most his career but his faceoffs are 52.6%

I might take him off the pp... but how is his numbers really that much different than riley nash before we stuck him with pastrnak/marchand?

don't pastrnak/marchand create their own offense anyhow? wouldn't they be pretty effective with you or me as their center? what do they really need other than someone that can focus on defense for them? maybe provide some size/fight when marchand starts getting targeted?

honestly backes will probably do better with these guys than he will on a 3rd/4th line... but I would still be trying to find out the price to bring riley nash back

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I wonder if backes sucks as bad defensively as he is struggling offensively? his takaways are 9... giveaways are 3... hes an even on the plus minus... he hasn't been hitting the way he did most his career but his faceoffs are 52.6%

I might take him off the pp... but how is his numbers really that much different than riley nash before we stuck him with pastrnak/marchand?

don't pastrnak/marchand create their own offense anyhow? wouldn't they be pretty effective with you or me as their center? what do they really need other than someone that can focus on defense for them? maybe provide some size/fight when marchand starts getting targeted?

honestly backes will probably do better with these guys than he will on a 3rd/4th line... but I would still be trying to find out the price to bring riley nash back

Who know, as they say: "Nothin' ventured, Nothin' gained! At this point Cassidy needs to be willing to try anything, and since Backes is a seasoned veteran he should be capable of being trusted there.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It’s pretty clear by Bruce’s actions what he thinks. Team is in dire need of a center and Backes is rolling it w Kuraly; I feel bad for the guy.
I feel for Backes too. Obviously the end seems to be coming faster than even many of us thought. But he does belong on the 4th line. If he’s higher, the team is in trouble.

And that’s not just based on stats either, which obviously tell a pretty grim story. The speed of the game just seems a bit beyond him at this point. Not sure how you could put him with your more talented, speedy forwards and expect it to work out well for anyone.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
The timing is all wrong for this proposal, but something BruinsDust said a few weeks back got me thinking about Bobby Ryan.

I've always thought he'd fit really well with Krejci... a big, powerful right-handed winger with a nasty wrister and a slick hands. A good passer, a good hitter, who's also strong on the boards and good on the cycle. I've also always felt he was a strong playoff performer, tough to play against and productive, even during his 'down' seasons.

He's had two injury plagued campaigns where he missed 40 games and his production dropped sharply. Before the injury he was a 20 goal 50 point guy in Ottawa and he's on that pace right now.

Ottawa is trying to get younger and they need money to re-sign Duchene and Stone (and Dzingel) so I don't think the Bruins would have to give up much to get him. Ottawa also has to know they can't move him without retaining something... They retained $1.75 to move Phaneuf and they have $2.5 coming off the books with the Burrows buyout expiring so maybe you could get them to retain something in that range, say $2.25.

Would you take Bobby Ryan at $5m for the next 4 playoff runs? Or would that $5m be too much of a hinderance going forward?

Looking at his stats, when he was scoring 30 goals a year he had a playmaker as his center and played 18, 19, 20 minutes a night. In Ottawa he hasn't had a playmaker and has played around 16 minutes a night. That makes me wonder if he has more to give... Of course, the Devil's advocate in me says he's 31 years old, we'd be tied to him until he's 34.

I gotta say, it's intriguing, both Ryan's potential with Krejci and the idea of getting a RW for DK46 that doesn't cost a big chunk of our future.

DeBrusk - Krejci - Ryan?

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The timing is all wrong for this proposal, but something BruinsDust said a few weeks back got me thinking about Bobby Ryan.

I've always thought he'd fit really well with Krejci... a big, powerful right-handed winger with a nasty wrister and a slick hands. A good passer, a good hitter, who's also strong on the boards and good on the cycle. I've also always felt he was a strong playoff performer, tough to play against and productive, even during his 'down' seasons.

He's had two injury plagued campaigns where he missed 40 games and his production dropped sharply. Before the injury he was a 20 goal 50 point guy in Ottawa and he's on that pace right now.

Ottawa is trying to get younger and they need money to re-sign Duchene and Stone (and Dzingel) so I don't think the Bruins would have to give up much to get him. Ottawa also has to know they can't move him without retaining something... They retained $1.75 to move Phaneuf and they have $2.5 coming off the books with the Burrows buyout expiring so maybe you could get them to retain something in that range, say $2.25.

Would you take Bobby Ryan at $5m for the next 4 playoff runs? Or would that $5m be too much of a hinderance going forward?

Looking at his stats, when he was scoring 30 goals a year he had a playmaker as his center and played 18, 19, 20 minutes a night. In Ottawa he hasn't had a playmaker and has played around 16 minutes a night. That makes me wonder if he has more to give... Of course, the Devil's advocate in me says he's 31 years old, we'd be tied to him until he's 34.

I gotta say, it's intriguing, both Ryan's potential with Krejci and the idea of getting a RW for DK46 that doesn't cost a big chunk of our future.

DeBrusk - Krejci - Ryan?

No, too long for that much money

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

DeBrusk - Krejci - Ryan?

I got a lot more confidence in carter out of LA if we are going to pay a guy 5 mill. carter might cost more but if we are expecting Ottawa to eat salary it might not cost more.

ryan was never a winner even when he was productive with getzlef. carters always been a winner. I like paying for winners

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

DeBrusk - Krejci - Ryan?
I've gone over and over the thought of Ryan and some way to make that deal palatable.

He was such a monster for the Sens on their last playoff run. I've always loved the idea of him and Krejci together. Both guys in their primes would have legit dominated.

But that contract. Oi vey. You are taking one massive gamble that the dude isn't just cooked. And it's a long term ugly gamble.

I've tried, man. I can't make it work.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Feels like the worse time to go get a center. Teams would have the Bruins over a barrel.

I highly doubt any team is going to reject a fair trade offer today because they feel they have the bruins over a barrel that they would accept in a month just because the bruins are injured.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That’s why when it was apparent you needed a 3rd line one you get one then. Now forget it. Easier said than done obviously, as I’m sure teams aren’t looking to deal their centers
it's probably overly optimistic, but i'm really hoping Colby Cave comes in and plays his ass off while Bergeron is out allowing us to make him the permanent 3rd line C once everyone is healthy. That would be a hell of a silver lining to all of this.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
it's probably overly optimistic, but i'm really hoping Colby Cave comes in and plays his ass off while Bergeron is out allowing us to make him the permanent 3rd line C once everyone is healthy. That would be a hell of a silver lining to all of this.

I’m hoping for the same thing but I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Cave would make a descent 4th liner. Does not have any offensive upside. Less than Nordstrom/Nash etc.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I’m hoping for the same thing but I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Cave would make a descent 4th liner. Does not have any offensive upside. Less than Nordstrom/Nash etc.

I’m not saying it’s going to translate to the NHL, but the kid did put up 33/35 goals his last two years in Swift River, so I’m not convinced he “does not have any offensive upside”.

Is he going to score 30 in the NHL? Unlikely, but he showed some scoring ability in Junior.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I’m not saying it’s going to translate to the NHL, but the kid did put up 33/35 goals his last two years in Swift River, so I’m not convinced he “does not have any offensive upside”.

Is he going to score 30 in the NHL? Unlikely, but he showed some scoring ability in Junior.
I guess he’s scored some goals in Providence this year as well. I hope your right.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
My only concern is the Bruins. I've always said I feel bad for Backes regarding his head/concussion problems. However, while he's playing he presumably is healthy and he is a negative player on the roster. I'm sure he's a great guy and does a lot in the community but his cap hit of 6 million dollars and his contributions to the Bruins on the ice is my only concern at the moment. Sorry if this offends anybody.

Point was and is, this is a thread for trades. Your post was 100% about Backes and 0% about any trades

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

DeBrusk - Krejci - Ryan?

Let's look at who will command significant raises going forward. At this point DeBrusk and Carlo seem the most likely to ask for contracts in the 3 to 4 million dollar range. Heinen, Bjork and Donato have done nothing to earn more than basic qualifying offers at this point. Bjork probably has the best chance of having a decent second half at this point but I can't picture a huge raise in his future.

Ryan has a little baggage and has had an interesting life to say the least, is he cooked? I don't think so, he still looks to be a 20 goal scorer and with a good center maybe more. He is physical and has good size and still skates well. The question then becomes what else is out there and what does Ryan cost you? Is Rick Nash coming back and if so how much of a cap hit will he be and how many years? Is Simmonds available? If so how much does he cost you to trade for him and can you extend him at a reasonable rate and years? Does Heinen get you Josh Anderson who I feel would be a better fit, is younger and has more of an upside? what does Edmonton do with Hitchcock as coach and who become available as Chiarelli tries to save his job?

Based purely on dollars would he fit? Yes I would take a chance on Ryan depending on who Ottawa wants in return, I just can't see that team retaining any money at this point on a traded player.

When healthy a second line of DeBrusk-Krejci-Ryan could be very productive and provide some secondary scoring that Heinen, Bjork and Donato haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad