Bruins Sign Tyler Johnson to PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
First off, he’s the antithesis of every player they signed in Boston, signed in Providence, or drafted this year.

Second, he was terrible last year and hasn’t been good in a long time.

Third, every shift he takes with Coyle and Marchand in practice or a preseason game is one less for anyone else we’re allowing to compete for that job.

I can’t for the life of me understand the purpose of this.
Like x one billion

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not the guy I would chose for a PTO, but he is the guy they chose. It would benefit the Bruins if he can still play, but i have serious doubt, but that is he nature of PTO's they are longshots who no one was willing to give a standard contract to. Occassionally they work out

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
First off, he’s the antithesis of every player they signed in Boston, signed in Providence, or drafted this year.

Third, every shift he takes with Coyle and Marchand in practice or a preseason game is one less for anyone else we’re allowing to compete for that job.

I am mystified that you don’t understand that PTO’s are status quo. Who would you have preferred? Vrana? Pearson? They are all PTO’s for a reason. Johnson can still skate and has NHL IQ. Doesn’t win a lot of battles - but the same might be said about Lysell. Gifting Lysell the spot at the start of camp sends the wrong message. He has to take the spot. What if Lysell or another RE option goes down with another injury in camp? At the very least, you have to see the value in having options with NHL experience. Or maybe you would prefer Patrick Brown?

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It’s going to be an interesting preseason. I wonder if the games will be on Sportsnet . I’m ready to go . I can’t sit through movies anymore. I’ve got nothing to watch .

Reactions: bruins19

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I think the record is well-established that the Bruins don't trust their prospect pool. Kids get opportunities, and occasionally they can make it stick. But the threshold for a rookie making the cut is pretty high, and the road to getting there is never made easy. Sweeney likes to have veteran options that he can turn to if the youngsters don't look ready. Your point is right - they take up time and focus meaning the kids get less opportunity to prove themselves. But management like having insurance, so they clearly see that trade-off as worth it. The mantra that 'competition is good' also gets a solid workout by our front office. How much that's truly a factor, who knows, but it's there.

I wish the Bruins would give their prospects a longer leash and better chances. Before the last pre-season I was getting pretty frustrated by it after some very lean times for the rookies but then they surprised me by putting both Beecher and Poitras on the starting roster, so I'm in a somewhat more charitable mood at present. Let's see how this one plays out. Not sure Johnson has much left to give, but probably not too much harm in having a look. Reality is Sweeney is at heart a conservative guy, so we get things like this. It might be annoying, but it's not remotely surprising.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I am mystified that you don’t understand that PTO’s are status quo. Who would you have preferred? Vrana? Pearson? They are all PTO’s for a reason. Johnson can still skate and has NHL IQ. Doesn’t win a lot of battles - but the same might be said about Lysell. Gifting Lysell the spot at the start of camp sends the wrong message. He has to take the spot. What if Lysell or another RE option goes down with another injury in camp? At the very least, you have to see the value in having options with NHL experience. Or maybe you would prefer Patrick Brown?
Yea, I I like this way of putting it.Rather Johnson then Brown up front when you need goals.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I'm not playing Johnson at center, he can play all three forward positions. I would go
Line 1
Marchand-Coyle-Frederic
Johnson-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Kastelic-Brazeau
Beecher

This is until Sweeney trade Swayman for a middle six forward.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I'm not playing Johnson at center, he can play all three forward positions. I would go
Line 1
Marchand-Coyle-Frederic
Johnson-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Kastelic-Brazeau
Beecher

This is until Sweeney trade Swayman for a middle six forward.
nm I see u said line 1..Lindholm, Pasta..I read it wrong..I sure hope Lysell can take off.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I do not believe Lysell is being gifted a spot, I think there is enough competition, for the open spots, among Lysell, Brazeau, Jones, Merkolov, McLaughlin, is better than what Johnson can bring , I was on the Vrarana, A.Nylander bandwagon, all younger the Johnson. Sweeney made a effort to go younger,and bigger and he then makes this signing. head scratcher.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Turns out the only person who underestimates B's prospects like Lysell and Merkulov more than Cory Pronman is Don Sweeney.

Reactions: Gordoff

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
This dude doesn't really belong in the middle 6 of a team trying to be competitive anymore, but it's just a PTO right now so whatever. If we get to camp and he's getting the lion's share of the reps with Coyle and Marchand over Lysell then I'll be annoyed, but until then I can't get worked up.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad