Bruins Sign Tyler Johnson to PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Can I expand on this?

I know you mentioned coach's preference, but that needs some detail.

Monty is a lame duck coach who enters the year without an extension. When was the last time the Bruins had that?

He needs wins, especially in the playoffs.

Damn straight coach's preference will play a big role. I could argue the biggest role.
If it were up to you, when would you approach him about an extension?

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
that's his analytics from the past 3 seasons. Yes, all those Hawks teams have been very bad but I just think it's a bad bet to expect a 34 year old Johnson to suddenly turn into a player we haven't seen him be in like 4-5 years.
I don't, I expect him to push Lysell and bring a veteran voice to camp. At worst he stays and helps Providence, best he has something left. 18-15-33 in middle six isn't a reach, question becomes is Lysell better or a career AHLer.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I don't, I expect him to push Lysell and bring a veteran voice to camp. At worst he stays and helps Providence, best he has something left. 18-15-33 in middle six isn't a reach, question becomes is Lysell better or a career AHLer.
Well where is he playing in the middle 6? He's both undersized and has been terrible defensively in recent years, so is that a guy you're comfortable playing with Poitras?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
that's his analytics from the past 3 seasons. Yes, all those Hawks teams have been very bad but I just think it's a bad bet to expect a 34 year old Johnson to suddenly turn into a player we haven't seen him be in like 4-5 years.

Maybe he bridges the gap a bit for Lysell?

I’m not really pushing for him to make the team, I just like having options.

Maybe Johnson signs cheap and Lysell starts in Providence and busts his ass, puts up big numbers and gets called back up in November?

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Gotta love this place sometimes…

Last year we bring in a guy on a PTO who had 22 points the previous year and some welcome him with open arms….

This year we bring in a guy who had almost as many goals -17 - As that guy had points the previous year and it’s somehow a bad move?

Furthermore, the guy who came here last year and was lauded as a huge success with 36 points only had 5 more points than the guy they’re bringing in this year.

Lol

I know points aren’t everything but brining in a veteran who has scored 29 goals twice and is sound defensively for FREE is a no brainer.

If he can play and help the team great!

If not, no harm done, and maybe he pushes a young kid to work a little harder or to focus more on something they need to improve on, or may even teach them something that helps them stick.

No lose situation.
He ha 29 goals 6 years ago, sound defensively ummm

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
5 pages in 21 hours.

You’d think the bruins just gave him a 3x$5m contract. Not a PTO

Summer is looooooong when you’re hockey fans.

lol

Can’t wait for camp!

He ha 29 goals 6 years ago, sound defensively ummm

I was thinking back to his TB days when he was on the PK.

Time flies.

But he did have 17 last year.

Yes, PP heavy but he still had to put the puck in the net.

Reactions: UncleRico

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I met this guy down in Tampa after the infamous (famous) sweep at the hands of the Blue Jackets. You could tell it was still very raw (happened a week prior to me meeting him). And I’m pretty sure my buddies and I were the only ones to recognize him and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t happy about it lol.

Makes me laugh to think he might be playing for the Bs now.

I don’t hate it. More competition and again, PTO.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
A bit more flesh on the bone,

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Doubtful he makes the team, if so an extra fourth liner at best

But he can't play 4th line. He's an absolutely abysmal fit for what this team is trying to do with the fourth line.

Johnson is a guy who basically has to play a pure offensive role or is pretty useless. And probably at this point a pretty sheltered pure offensive role.

If he makes it that is a bad sign.

But the odds for a 34 year old PTO are not good. So hopefully other guys beat him out

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
It shows how much faith management has in the providence players. I agree with them good move much better than hoping a providence player is gonna make a impact. With poitras not around until at least December they are paper thin up front

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It shows how much faith management has in the providence players. I agree with them good move much better than hoping a providence player is gonna make an impact. With poitras not around until at least December they are paper thin up front
Huh? At least December?

Reactions: CDJ

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I

I stand corrected.

Posting from the car and was going on memories from his TB days.

Also I’m not comparing him to the much younger Heinen….just comparing people’s attitudes about the situation.

Many of us were insulted for calling his PTO bad or unnecessary based on his abysmal 22/23 season but now many are against Johnson when his production numbers were better seems kind of rash.

It’s a long season and injuries happen, and people don’t produce as expected .

This is a no risk move, IMO.

He might be washed but 17 goals is still 17 goals.

One thing's for sure - if Johnson can't play defense he's not getting a spot. Would go against Sweeney's practice during his entire tenure as GM. We'll see if he's still got something to offer offensively, but if he can't/won't help out on the back end he'll be sent on his way.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
"sound defensively"
View attachment 904441

Again, I really can't get worked up about a PTO. But this dude is WASHED washed.

Completely different scenario then bringing in a 27 year old Heinen, who was coming off a bad finishing year but still had decent underlying stats with a recent history of being a plus defender.
I don't put a ton of stock in analytics for players on really bad teams. We've seen lots of players go from "terrible" (based on their cards) to good after switching from a terrible team to a good one. I would expect most players on Chicago to look bad defensively on paper.

Can you look at other years? Was he bad defensively in 2019? Or when he put up 40 points in 43 playoff games for Tampa? I'm curious if the 'bad defensive' label is a recent thing or if he's always had that tag on him.

Reactions: Blowfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad