Bruins Sign Tyler Johnson to PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Well where is he playing in the middle 6? He's both undersized and has been terrible defensively in recent years, so is that a guy you're comfortable playing with Poitras?
Yup, more comfortable with him with Marchand and Poitras. Third line Fredric-Coyle-Geekie/Brazeau. I am more comfortable with him than Lysell with Poitras.

Again NHL player in Johnson competing with AHLer in Lysell. If Poitras doesn’t make it Geekie or Frederic become the third line center not Johnson.

Oh and Draisaitl will probably be the first line center in a couple weeks due to the Swayman trade.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yup, more comfortable with him with Marchand and Poitras. Third line Fredric-Coyle-Geekie/Brazeau. I am more comfortable with him than Lysell with Poitras.

Again NHL player in Johnson competing with AHLer in Lysell. If Poitras doesn’t make it Geekie or Frederic become the third line center not Johnson.

Oh and Draisaitl will probably be the first line center in a couple weeks due to the Swayman trade.

Oh God a Marchand, Poitras, Johnson would be absolutely tiny. McAvoy and Zadarov would have to be out there 100% of the time that unit is on the ice

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON
Fwiw, Tyler Johnson played primarily with Nick Foligno and Darren Raddysh (who was playing his first full season in the NHL at age 27) at even strength. You can't really expect anyone to produce at ES between those two.

Maybe he is washed, but I think there are too many context clues muddying the statistics to come to any conclusion based on stats alone.
I think you mean Taylor Raddysh, Darren is the defenseman

Reactions: PlayMakers

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Bruins could basically sign anyone to a PTO and alot of people would be calling it a good move here. Some of you really love dumpster diving

I mean most PTO's have little downside. At best you find a player who can contribute to your NHL squad. Worse case the player doesn't show enough and the team walks away with no financial obligations. Bringing in a guy on a PTO is like someone giving you a scratch ticket for your birthday. It probably won't be a winner, but your not any poorer after scratching it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I mean most PTO's have little downside. At best you find a player who can contribute to your NHL squad. Worse case the player doesn't show enough and the team walks away with no financial obligations. Bringing in a guy on a PTO is like someone giving you a scratch ticket for your birthday. It probably won't be a winner, but your not any poorer after scratching it.
You're completely correct on all points - but dude, be honest. It f***s our entire season.

How is Lysell supposed to get any playing time? He's f***ed. We're f***ed. The whole thing is a massive f***.

This PTO has literally given me syphilis.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Tyler Johnson is an excellent signing if all of a sudden we enter a time warp and are instead playing for the 2015 Stanley Cup next year and not 2025.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I'm assuming because they're trying to move Zacha to wing? Just a guess.

Johnson can't play C anymore

He was horrible at it in times they tried it in Chicago

Its only PTO so there is no downside for B's but as someone who has watched him over last 3 years he is cooked, IMO

Physically he can't stay healthy and is always hurt, offensively he is pretty terrible. His goal totals were inflated a bit playing on Hawks PP unit and reality that someone has to score on bad team

Worst part is he was once a pretty damn good defensive player, but those days are long gone. He was terrible in own end as a Hawk and thus when not scoring was completely useless on ice

At TDL last year there was no interest in him when Hawks shopped him around which says a lot because usually former SC champions on expiring deal have some level of interest from teams for postseason depth

Maybe it works out and he finds some of his old self but the guy you remember from TB he hasn't been now for years (His last few years in TB he was already on decline)

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Johnson can't play C anymore

He was horrible at it in times they tried it in Chicago

Its only PTO so there is no downside for B's but as someone who has watched him over last 3 years he is cooked, IMO

Physically he can't stay healthy and is always hurt, offensively he is pretty terrible. His goal totals were inflated a bit playing on Hawks PP unit and reality that someone has to score on bad team

Worst part is he was once a pretty damn good defensive player, but those days are long gone. He was terrible in own end as a Hawk and thus when not scoring was completely useless on ice

At TDL last year there was no interest in him when Hawks shopped him around which says a lot because usually former SC champions on expiring deal have some level of interest from teams for postseason depth

Maybe it works out and he finds some of his old self but the guy you remember from TB he hasn't been now for years (His last few years in TB he was already on decline)
Boston has a knack for bringing players 'back to life'. Maybe he was disinterested in where he was at the time, but speaking of time only time will tell.

I didn't expect JVR to put up 11 goals and 27 assists for 38 points in 71 games last year. Neither did I expect Danton Heinen to to put up 17 goals and 19 assists for 36 points in 74 games.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Feels like Shatenkirk last year- same age, coming off a few seasons on a shit team, filling depth at a spot they are shallow. It was Lorhei he ended up "blocking" but who pulled through and probably benefitted from being eased in and having time to work on his game. Hopefully Lysell does the same.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Feels like Shatenkirk last year- same age, coming off a few seasons on a shit team, filling depth at a spot they are shallow. It was Lorhei he ended up "blocking" but who pulled through and probably benefitted from being eased in and having time to work on his game. Hopefully Lysell does the same.
Lohrei was also a full year older than Lysell will be at the start of this season. We hope Fabian can crack the lineup and play a full season with the big club, but it took Lohrei (and Beecher for that matter) a demotion or two before they were fully ready.

I don’t know if Johnson is cooked and even if he isn’t, whether there is a good fit. That’s up to the coaching staff to decide. However, having options/depth to help the B’s win games while we wait for Lysell is valuable.

It would be amazing for Lysell to play 70+ games and pot 30+ points. I would so enjoy that. But I am bracing myself for far less than that- and making peace with the reality that even really good players take time and steps on the way to success.

Reactions: Over the volcano

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
He’s a 60 pct ozone start guy. No interest in him getting top 2 line minutes in camp and preseason games.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Curious how Tyler s speed stacks up against Poitras and Merk who aren't known for their speed. This and their lack of NHL experience may be their biggest challenge to making the club over Tyler. Perhaps Tyler could see painting on wall last season and decided to focus on his game for this upcoming season? The battle for open spots will be fun to follow this season. Hopefully all have equal opportunity to impress. May the best competitive small center win a spot. It's not being given to anyone. Earn it mofos!

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

This has him at 46% OZone starts last year.

Does that make any difference in your take on him?
No he was caved in 5v5 I was giving him the benefit of all situations.

On paper, the addition of Johnson appears to be a brilliant move by Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney. He acquired a proven high-impact player at a more than reasonable price tag.

LOL another management guy looking for a job,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad