Bruins Sign Tyler Johnson to PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If you're right, there's no risk with this move.
Would you rather have Lysell getting a chance to build chemistry with Coyle and Marchand or give those reps to Johnson while Lysell works with Kastelic and Jones? Which would you think is better for the longterm progress of the team? Say they waste 3 weeks giving Johnson first crack at things and then release him. Time is an asset. Time wasted is a risk.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Would you rather have Lysell getting a chance to build chemistry with Coyle and Marchand or give those reps to Johnson while Lysell works with Kastelic and Jones? Which would you think is better for the longterm progress of the team? Say they waste 3 weeks giving Johnson first crack at things and then release him. Time is an asset. Time wasted is a risk.

Meh, the lines are routinely thrown into a blender during the pre-season. Im sure during practices Monty will throw different combos together to see who may work well together.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If missing a few preseason shifts with Charlie Coyle is make or break for Lysell then there are bigger issues

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Meh, the lines are routinely thrown into a blender during the pre-season. Im sure during practices Monty will throw different combos together to see who may work well together.
Good point, I am not concerned about Lysell having chemistry, I more interested in if is ready for the big time, or someone else, give a shit less about 34-year-old, 5'8 Tyler Johnson.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Gotta love this place sometimes…

Last year we bring in a guy on a PTO who had 22 points the previous year and some welcome him with open arms….

This year we bring in a guy who had almost as many goals -17 - As that guy had points the previous year and it’s somehow a bad move?

Furthermore, the guy who came here last year and was lauded as a huge success with 36 points only had 5 more points than the guy they’re bringing in this year.

Lol

I know points aren’t everything but brining in a veteran who has scored 29 goals twice and is sound defensively for FREE is a no brainer.

If he can play and help the team great!

If not, no harm done, and maybe he pushes a young kid to work a little harder or to focus more on something they need to improve on, or may even teach them something that helps them stick.

No lose situation.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Last year we bring in a guy on a PTO who had 22 points the previous year and some welcome him with open arms….

This year we bring in a guy who had almost as many goals -17 - As that guy had points the previous year and it’s somehow a bad move?

Furthermore, the guy who came here last year and was lauded as a huge success with 36 points only had 5 more points than the guy they’re bringing in this year.

Lol

I know points aren’t everything but brining in a veteran who has scored 29 goals twice and is sound defensively for FREE is a no brainer.

If not, no harm done, and maybe he pushes a young kid to work a little harder or to focus more on something they need to improve on, or may even teach them something that helps them stick.

No lose situation.
It’s almost like they’re two different players, and the team is in a different place one year later

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Lol

No lose situation.
"sound defensively"
1725205195707.png

Again, I really can't get worked up about a PTO. But this dude is WASHED washed.

Completely different scenario then bringing in a 27 year old Heinen, who was coming off a bad finishing year but still had decent underlying stats with a recent history of being a plus defender.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It’s almost like they’re two different players, and the team is in a different place one year later

Yes

This year we’re all praying that a couple of guys who have yet to prove they are NHL quality players magically become NHL quality second liners.

Good point.

"sound defensively"
View attachment 904441

Again, I really can't get worked up about a PTO. But this dude is WASHED washed.

Completely different scenario then bringing in a 27 year old Heinen, who was coming off a bad finishing year but still had decent underlying stats with a recent history of being a plus defender.

Maybe I overstated his ability there but I do remember him on the PK quite a bit.

Which at least to me is a concern as losing JDB in that role might hurt, especially because I’d like to see Marchand decrease his TOI.

Either way, can never hurt to bring in quality players.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If missing a few preseason shifts with Charlie Coyle is make or break for Lysell then there are bigger issues
You assume that a younger player being better than a veteran player is enough to give that player the job. I mean... we've seen plenty of times that isn't true including who will be starting at QB next week. It's incredibly naive to think that the only consideration is play on the ice, when things like waivers, salary, and coach's personal preference to a "steady" vet might sway opinion.

It's not a huge deal, but it's just wasting time with something that could be spend in better ways. I'll say it again though, I don't want to hear people complaining about prospect pool rankings being mean to the B's, because there are plenty of other teams who have better 21 year old players as an option instead of playing Tyler Johnson.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yes

This year we’re all praying that a couple of guys who have yet to prove they are NHL quality players magically become NHL quality second liners.

Good point.

Maybe I overstated his ability there but I do remember him on the PK quite a bit.

Which at least to me is a concern as losing JDB in that role might hurt, especially because I’d like to see Marchand decrease his TOI.

Either way, can never hurt to bring in quality players.
In the last 5 seasons he's played a grand total of 18 minutes on the PK.

Danton Heinen played 94 (I rounded down, it was closer to 95)minutes on the PK last year.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I
In the last 5 seasons he's played a grand total of 18 minutes on the PK.

Danton Heinen played 94 minutes on the PK last year.
I stand corrected.

Posting from the car and was going on memories from his TB days.

Also I’m not comparing him to the much younger Heinen….just comparing people’s attitudes about the situation.

Many of us were insulted for calling his PTO bad or unnecessary based on his abysmal 22/23 season but now many are against Johnson when his production numbers were better seems kind of rash.

It’s a long season and injuries happen, and people don’t produce as expected .

This is a no risk move, IMO.

He might be washed but 17 goals is still 17 goals.

Reactions: SPV and Dr Quincy

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You assume that a younger player being better than a veteran player is enough to give that player the job. I mean... we've seen plenty of times that isn't true including who will be starting at QB next week. It's incredibly naive to think that the only consideration is play on the ice, when things like waivers, salary, and coach's personal preference to a "steady" vet might sway opinion.

It's not a huge deal, but it's just wasting time with something that could be spend in better ways. I'll say it again though, I don't want to hear people complaining about prospect pool rankings being mean to the B's, because there are plenty of other teams who have better 21 year old players as an option instead of playing Tyler Johnson.
Can I expand on this?

I know you mentioned coach's preference, but that needs some detail.

Monty is a lame duck coach who enters the year without an extension. When was the last time the Bruins had that?

He needs wins, especially in the playoffs.

Damn straight coach's preference will play a big role. I could argue the biggest role.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I

I stand corrected.

Posting from the car and was going on memories from his TB days.

Also I’m not comparing him to the much younger Heinen….just comparing people’s attitudes about the situation.

Many of us were insulted for calling his PTO bad or unnecessary based on his abysmal 22/23 season but now many are against Johnson when his production numbers were better seems kind of rash.

It’s a long season and injuries happen, and people don’t produce as expected .

This is a no risk move, IMO.

He might be washed but 17 goals is still 17 goals.
I agree with you. PTOs never hurt. Lysell should win the job, not be given it.

Reactions: sarge88

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
"sound defensively"
View attachment 904441

So you are using analytics from a generationaly bad team in last years Blackhawks to argue somebody is toast? Why analytics are a last resort for me.

Reactions: sarge88

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
So you are using analytics from a generationaly bad team in last years Blackhawks to argue somebody is toast? Why analytics are a last resort for me.
that's his analytics from the past 3 seasons. Yes, all those Hawks teams have been very bad but I just think it's a bad bet to expect a 34 year old Johnson to suddenly turn into a player we haven't seen him be in like 4-5 years.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad