Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Lohrei needs time in the AHL and play 25 mins a night, first pair, first PP and first penalty kill to hone his skills. Call him up at the 60-70 game mark if he is ready and we are in a playoff spot. The closest comparison I see in his game is Kyle McLaren.
I cannot see Lysell making this team this year out of training camp, same goes for Merkulov and McLaughlin.
IMO Beecher has a spot pencilled in on the fourth line.
If Poitras continues to play the way he did against the NYR, I would seriously think of keeping him up with the team out of camp and give him 9 games to play at the NHL level. I cannot see this hurting his development.
I mean they lost 3/4 of their starting centers from last year and of the new faces he's been the brightest light so far at C. Hasn't shown anything so far that would lead us to believe that he's not ready. Got to let it ride and see what comes.

It could open up all kinds of flexibility with the forward lines too, rippling down through the lineup.

Zacha Poitras Pasta
Marchand Coyle Debrusk
JVR Geekie Frederic
Lucic/Boqvist Beecher Greer/Lauko

Last edited:

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lohrei needs time in the AHL and play 25 mins a night, first pair, first PP and first penalty kill to hone his skills. Call him up at the 60-70 game mark if he is ready and we are in a playoff spot. The closest comparison I see in his game is Kyle McLaren.
I cannot see Lysell making this team this year out of training camp, same goes for Merkulov and McLaughlin.
If Poitras continues to play the way he did against the NYR, I would seriously think of keeping him up with the team out of camp and give him 9 games to play at the NHL level. I cannot see this hurting his development.

I would love to see Beecher, McLaughlin and Brown all take some shifts between Lucic and Lauko. That one shift McLaughlin took between them he got a nice Bergeron style one timer off and it got my interest.

I would love to see Merkulov get some shifts with actual NHL players. He wasn't very visible vs Buffalo, but I also wonder how he would have looked between DeBrusk and JVR against a minor league Rangers club that got in so late they had to push the game back.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Do you honestly see a solid work ethic and drive and desire in Lysell or do you see a guy who has a pretty big ego and thinks it'll just magically come to him?

He's no Marchand I'll tell you that. So yes, lol all you want, just wait and see. He either changes or he will bust. Remains to be seen which.
How can you possibly know that he thinks it'll come magically to him? The answer is you can't possibly know what someone else thinks...

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Lysell is clearly working very very hard. I’m not sure where u got that opinion? His flaw is trying to do too much. He has to simplify his game. He has elite skating and good vision. He has to learn his limitations
I'm viewing the "too much" thing a different way. I see him thinking he can dominate like he did in junior and he's not learning that he has to get down to basics and learn to play NHL hockey. I see it as arrogance and ego. I could be wrong, but either way he needs a LOT of development and I hope he has the willingness to accept the step down and put in the work it'll require.

Reactions: Kegs

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
How can you possibly know that he thinks it'll come magically to him? The answer is you can't possibly know what someone else thinks...
I could be wrong but so could most everyone here. It's a feeling. It's a comparison to other players. It's based on what I see, what he says, every piece of limited information I get. I've watched hockey for a really long time and over that time you develop a sense of who has it and who doesn't. It becomes a gut thing. At this point I'm usually right BUT there are exceptions and some guys change and get it later on. Right now, Lysell has a long way to go.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I thought MM looked good the other day.

Throwing his weight around more. Looks bulkier and stronger. It will help with his board game.

I agree....Beecher has the edge at the moment

Reactions: HustleB

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Lohrei spin move to get away from his man....was cool. I have only seen Gryz do that before.

Like you stated... more behind the scenes than noticeable yesterday. Which may not be a bad thing for now...

He probably knows also...without a solid footing in the D and Mid ice zones...he wont even dream about getting offensize zone opportunities

His skating is serviceable/mobile for height. But I doubt he could do anything like end to end stuff/carry the puck out of the zone with ease. I forgot who made the comparison... but high ceiling comparison to John Carlsson sounds good. Or Dougie Hamilton. Low ceiling - Taller Erik Gustafsson imo.
I feel like your ceiling is awfully high. Carlson put up 37 pts in the NHL in his 20/21 year old season. At the same age Lohrei was playing in the USHL. Carlson has 3 seasons of 70 pts. Lohrei doesn't have anywhere near that kind of offensive upside. I think maybe he can be a 40 pt NHL player.... which would be a great return on a late 2nd pick D. But he's not going to be a Norris contender and we shouldn't put those expectations on him.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm viewing the "too much" thing a different way. I see him thinking he can dominate like he did in junior and he's not learning that he has to get down to basics and learn to play NHL hockey. I see it as arrogance and ego. I could be wrong, but either way he needs a LOT of development and I hope he has the willingness to accept the step down and put in the work it'll require.
I don't think it's arrogance. I think players get used to doing what has worked at other levels. And it worked for Lysell for a good portion of his 1st AHL season. Now, he will have to adjust his game as other teams adjust to him. He absolutely has to learn how to play with other players if he wants to make it. But most young skilled players have to learn that lesson.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
This is great because the rest of us here on this HOCKEY FORUM don't watch much hockey at all. Teach us, oh guru!
Meaning................lots of young pups on here that have seen a decade of hockey at best. Us old folks have seen many a rookie come and go so yes, we know a thing or two. Deal with it.

I don't think it's arrogance. I think players get used to doing what has worked at other levels. And it worked for Lysell for a good portion of his 1st AHL season. Now, he will have to adjust his game as other teams adjust to him. He absolutely has to learn how to play with other players if he wants to make it. But most young skilled players have to learn that lesson.
No argument. I mean "arrogance" in the sense that he is sure he has the talent to make it work. He has to accept that it's just not going to come easy any more. Maybe he will get it eventually. Hope so. Right now though, just right now, he doesn't have what it takes.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Meaning................lots of young pups on here that have seen a decade of hockey at best. Us old folks have seen many a rookie come and go so yes, we know a thing or two. Deal with it.

No argument. I mean "arrogance" in the sense that he is sure he has the talent to make it work. He has to accept that it's just not going to come easy any more. Maybe he will get it eventually. Hope so. Right now though, just right now, he doesn't have what it takes.
It’s bizarre that you’re attaching these character flaws like arrogance and ego to a 20 year old kid with one professional season under his belt that has exhibited absolutely none of that.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
It’s bizarre that you’re attaching these character flaws like arrogance and ego to a 20 year old kid with one professional season under his belt that has exhibited absolutely none of that.
Okay. We can disagree. I'm tired of talking about Lysell. At this point he's just not worth it.

Poitras has me excited. Years from now he may be known as the steal of that draft.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I could be wrong but so could most everyone here. It's a feeling. It's a comparison to other players. It's based on what I see, what he says, every piece of limited information I get. I've watched hockey for a really long time and over that time you develop a sense of who has it and who doesn't. It becomes a gut thing. At this point I'm usually right BUT there are exceptions and some guys change and get it later on. Right now, Lysell has a long way to go.

You realize that just because you watched hockey for a long time doesn’t mean you know jack about projecting which young players make it and which don’t?

Getting on lysell about arrogance and then claiming you have a gut feeling that’s usually right about who makes it and who doesn’t as a professional hockey player is bananas.

There are 30+ nhl teams that would give you a job yesterday if you actually had the ability to make those kinds of calls on a consistent basis.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I feel like your ceiling is awfully high. Carlson put up 37 pts in the NHL in his 20/21 year old season. At the same age Lohrei was playing in the USHL. Carlson has 3 seasons of 70 pts. Lohrei doesn't have anywhere near that kind of offensive upside. I think maybe he can be a 40 pt NHL player.... which would be a great return on a late 2nd pick D. But he's not going to be a Norris contender and we shouldn't put those expectations on him.
Like not general ceiling....but high ceiling. For me.. its more of a stylistical comparison. Carlson is not the fastest or flashy. Or really physical. But fantastic offensive instincts and obviously execution (points scored etc.).

I know it was at junior level plus Lohrei is considered overage rookie (sort of).... but he scored points at a nice clip. A few times came 2nd (most points scored for a D). There is an offensive ceiling at the pro level imo.

I think maybe he can be a 40 pt NHL player..

I would gladly accept this

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You realize that just because you watched hockey for a long time doesn’t mean you know jack about projecting which young players make it and which don’t?

Getting on lysell about arrogance and then claiming you have a gut feeling that’s usually right about who makes it and who doesn’t as a professional hockey player is bananas.

There are 30+ nhl teams that would give you a job yesterday if you actually had the ability to make those kinds of calls on a consistent basis.
Anyone who says I'm usually right loses me instantly. Even people paid to do this shit aren't usually right.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
He’s not Carlson but I think he’ll be more productive than 40 points. He’s got some swagger and pinache offensively. And he seems good at finding a way to get shots thru traffic. Those qualities are going to earn him earn top PP minutes one day, and 1st PP guys get 20+ points on the PP alone.

:crossfing:crossfing

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
linus-ullmark-2023-32.jpg

brandon-bussi-2023-8411.jpg

Jimminy crickets Bussi and Ullmark separated at birth

• Wow
Reactions: Mione134

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
The I'm behind by a few days update

Myrenberg
Tuesday 1 assist 3 shots +1 20:56 TOI 3-2 SO loss
Thursday 1 assist -1 19:26 3-1 loss
Saturday -1 17:51 4-1 loss

Kostadinski
Saturday 2 assists +3 6-4 win
Nassen 1 assist -1

Edward 1 shot -2 5-2 win

Poitras still in Boston

Dyck still out

Pelosi 3 shots +1 4-3 OT win
He did his normal strong 2 way play, screened the goalie on the game tying goal and hit the crossbar in OT
Hendrickson 1 shot he wasn't as noticeable

NCAA Hockey starts this week

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad