Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Do people still think the Bruins don’t have any high end prospects?

And for a team with the ‘worst prospect pool‘ in the league 5 years running, they could potentially break camp with 5 rookies in the lineup: Poitras, Lohrei, Beecher, Lauko and Mitchell.
I’m also really interested in Callahan this year and next. If he could settle in as a responsible bottom pairing LD, that’s crazy $$ saving

Edit- not to mention Lysell and Merkulov being potentially ready at some point in the near future

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Do people still think the Bruins don’t have any high end prospects?

And for a team with the ‘worst prospect pool‘ in the league 5 years running, they could potentially break camp with 5 rookies in the lineup: Poitras, Lohrei, Beecher, Lauko and Mitchell.
I was watching ice level the other night and I wasn’t really paying attention to Kuntar when game started- even though I drafted him and have him in SIM League and he made me notice - I’m going to be very interested watching him

Bill, it’s all about Senyshyn with Bruins fans. That is where they put down their camp.

Sweeney was on the job 5 weeks that draft and a month after started reshaping the scouting

Gretzky was a Chiarelli guy and they let him go to Peter.

Bruins philosophy changed drafting over years especially at center - early on with Sweeney big centers like Frederic & Beecher to smaller skill guys like Poitras & Locmelis

The HN & Athletic influencers just go same old same old

Reactions: PlayMakers

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Kinda wild Sweeney in 100 hours in early July 2022 likely used the 54th pick and Eric Haula to grab two top 6 centers

Impressive job by Sweeney indeed. I still do not understand that trade from the Devils point of view. I cannot imagine the reaction on this board if Sweeney had trade a Zacha to get a Haula :eek3:

• Wow
Reactions: HustleB and DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Impressive job by Sweeney indeed. I still do not understand that trade from the Devils point of view. I cannot imagine the reaction on this board if Sweeney had trade a Zacha to get a Haula :eek3:
Sweeney & Fitzgerald extremely tight and Devils had surplus

With Hughes, Nico, Mercer - Zacha was falling and Bruins needed a center

It was kinda ridiculous but Zacha was up for contract and Devils didn’t want to pay him when he’s going to be bottom 6

Reactions: Number6

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It’s sorta like if the bruins traded debrusk a few seasons ago when this fan base wanted him traded for a 6th round draft pick.

Reactions: Number6

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Kinda wild Sweeney in 100 hours in early July 2022 likely used the 54th pick and Eric Haula to grab two top 6 centers
If the Bruins break camp with 5 rookies Sweeney deserves a lot of props.

It's not just that he'll be flipping the script on his draft record, but he did it his way. These rookies weren't handed jobs. Sweeney went out and signed 5 guys with 100's of NHL games under their belts and these kids had to come in and outplay those vets to win their jobs.

Last edited:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
If the Bruins break camp with 5 rookies Sweeney deserves a lot of props.

It's not just that he'll be flipping the script on his draft record, but he did it his way. These rookies weren't handed jobs. Sweeney went out and signed 5 guys with 100's of NHL games under their belts and these kids had to come in and outplay those vets to win their jobs.

I hate the idea of handing rookies jobs. Makes me sick. Earn the job. If browns better than you then you go back to the minors. I do think so far Beecher, Lauko, mitchel and poitras have earned it.

Lohrei im on the fence. His offence is there. His defence might need a half season. I’m hoping he starts using his size and skating to fold guy. I’m also hoping he can learn to use his stick to disrupt the passes a bit better.

if they can move on from forbort I’m down. But if they are stuck with forbort I’m not ok losing gryz and expecting lohrei to fill that void. Gryz is really good and gets them in the playoffs. I think forbort doesn’t move the needle.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I hate the idea of handing rookies jobs. Makes me sick. Earn the job. If browns better than you then you go back to the minors. I do think so far Beecher, Lauko, mitchel and poitras have earned it.

Lohrei im on the fence. His offence is there. His defence might need a half season. I’m hoping he starts using his size and skating to fold guy. I’m also hoping he can learn to use his stick to disrupt the passes a bit better.

if they can move on from forbort I’m down. But if they are stuck with forbort I’m not ok losing gryz and expecting lohrei to fill that void. Gryz is really good and gets them in the playoffs. I think forbort doesn’t move the needle.

Personally I’d rather go through the growing pains of playing the younger guys. Is there really that big of a difference between who poitras, Beecher and lohrei would be replacing? My only worry would be them handling a full season.

I want to see these guys play a season before we have all that cap next offseason and see who can carve out a role.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Personally I’d rather go through the growing pains of playing the younger guys. Is there really that big of a difference between who poitras, Beecher and lohrei would be replacing? My only worry would be them handling a full season.

I want to see these guys play a season before we have all that cap next offseason and see who can carve out a role.
I think it could come down to saving a few k on the salary cap.

Say Sweeney decides to hold his cards and wait for a team to desperately need defence. Then he will get a better return for gryz or forbort. So maybe they hold both and squeeze the cheaper players into the roster. Brown is cheaper than Beecher so they could temporarily go with him until they can get good value for their assets. Beecher might end up a bruin by seasons end.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Lorhei and Beecher will be on the big club at some point. Later in the year is more important than the beginning.

Reactions: HustleB and Kegs

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
So you’re putting more stock in a 7 game tournament than his full season in AHL last year, (and going a PPG in the first half of the season), against harder competition?
Ppg in first half of season is pretty cherry picked. 37 pts in 54 games in the ahl is not what I would call a particularly amazing start for a future top 6 nhl winger. If he was, I don’t think we’d be seeing him getting passed on the depth chart by more recent draft picks.

Look, I hope I’m wrong. I’m mostly going by eye test and I just don’t see an nhl top 6 player in this kid. I do see something in Poitras that caught me completely by surprise, much like 37 did 20 years ago.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Ppg in first half of season is pretty cherry picked. 37 pts in 54 games in the ahl is not what I would call a particularly amazing start for a future top 6 nhl winger. If he was, I don’t think we’d be seeing him getting passed on the depth chart by more recent draft picks.

Look, I hope I’m wrong. I’m mostly going by eye test and I just don’t see an nhl top 6 player in this kid. I do see something in Poitras that caught me completely by surprise, much like 37 did 20 years ago.
He was tied for second in scoring in the AHL for players his age.

Reactions: UncleRico

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Kinda rich you accuse others of cherry picking samples and then turn around and use a 7 game sample yourself to justify why he’s bad.

And for the record I’m not sold on Lysell either- he could still absolutely bust! But he definitely has the offensive skills to play in the league, it’s just going to come down to everything else

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
He was tied for second in scoring in the AHL for players his age.
Ok fair enough. And he had a concussion for WJC which could explain why he looked so lost in that tournament when he should have dominated. Is there a reason why he looked so bad in this years camp? I didn’t read anything but from what I watched he did not look like he had a clue how to play the game at that level when many of the other kids did. So is he hurt again or is what was once an early bloomer now become a late bloomer? To me, when I see a player that was ahead of his peers at a young age get passed by the pack later on, I tend to think he was just an early bloomer that was on a more accelerated development curve that has now reached his ceiling. You don’t ofter see those kinds of players suddenly take off again later (although admittedly it can happen).

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Ok fair enough. And he had a concussion for WJC which could explain why he looked so lost in that tournament when he should have dominated. Is there a reason why he looked so bad in this years camp? I didn’t read anything but from what I watched he did not look like he had a clue how to play the game at that level when many of the other kids did. So is he hurt again or is what was once an early bloomer now become a late bloomer? To me, when I see a player that was ahead of his peers at a young age get passed by the pack later on, I tend to think he was just an early bloomer that was on a more accelerated development curve that has now reached his ceiling. You don’t ofter see those kinds of players suddenly take off again later (although admittedly it can happen).
He’s 20. He’s had one professional season. He’s not late whatsoever. Obviously looking for a big year here but him not being on the roster this year is not behind schedule.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I wouldn't worry yet. He's on his own developmental path and progression arc. It's clear he needs to work on the non skill parts of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad