Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I am not worried about arrogance with Lysell. After all, when arrogance is warranted, it can be a good thing. However, I do have a few concerns around Lysell's resilience and ability to persevere and engage when things do not go his way. Hoping these concerns are mitigated as he matures and spends more time around veterans.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Where did this Lysell arrogance thing come from?

One of the posters indicated that Lysell was still cheating on plays as if it were juniors and was "arrogant" thinking he could do that against NHL competition. Me paraphrasing a bit the different posts but I think it was more of a suggestion than a definitive stance on the kid.

In any case, he needs to improve as the Kessel like puck battles - all stick no body - isn't going to help him getting a longer look on the B's. Although you could say that of about all the guys on the ice last night.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
One of the posters indicated that Lysell was still cheating on plays as if it were juniors and was "arrogant" thinking he could do that against NHL competition. Me paraphrasing a bit the different posts but I think it was more of a suggestion than a definitive stance on the kid.

In any case, he needs to improve as the Kessel like puck battles - all stick no body - isn't going to help him getting a longer look on the B's. Although you could say that of about all the guys on the ice last night.
That’s an extremely charitable reading of the comments.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Started his draft year when his old Junior team claimed there were behavioral issues
can you refresh my memory on this friend? I don`t recall behavioral issues. I do seem to recall questions about Lysell putting in max effort but I don`t claim to know all that goes on with kids in our system

Thx in advance

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
can you refresh my memory on this friend? I don`t recall behavioral issues. I do seem to recall questions about Lysell putting in max effort but I don`t claim to know all that goes on with kids in our system

Thx in advance

He demanded a trade from his long time program because he wasn’t happy with his role.

In his new role he didn’t gel with line mates (who were bad) and got veeeery little ice time. Like 7 minutes a game.

There’s a lot unspoken behind the scenes (this sort of move is very frowned upon in Sweden, seems slightly more pedestrian to me) and the Swedish posters have said a lot more on the main board but it’s all unsubstantiated.

His low scoring/ ice time plus this “character” concern is why he dropped to us in the draft.

I think he’s got the tools and toolbox, just needs to play with the best he possibly can and do a lot of it. Get some consistency. If he doesn’t make the team (I don’t think he will) he should be stapled to Merkulov and Topo this year IMO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He demanded a trade from his long time program because he wasn’t happy with his role.

In his new role he didn’t gel with line mates (who were bad) and got veeeery little ice time. Like 7 minutes a game.

There’s a lot unspoken behind the scenes (this sort of move is very frowned upon in Sweden, seems slightly more pedestrian to me) and the Swedish posters have said a lot more on the main board but it’s all unsubstantiated.

His low scoring/ ice time plus this “character” concern is why he dropped to us in the draft.

I think he’s got the tools and toolbox, just needs to play with the best he possibly can and do a lot of it. Get some consistency. If he doesn’t make the team (I don’t think he will) he should be stapled to Merkulov and Topo this year IMO.
thx for all the info, appreciate it

Reactions: BradMarchandismydad

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Thx in advance
Post 609 covers it well

Reactions: ODAAT

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

His problem is simple, he doesn’t work well within a system at the moment. He tends to drift out of position. There was a few times last game where he drifted to the middle and Coyle had to race up his wing side to cover for him at the D point. In the offensive zone he was not going to open areas or being a relief valve on the cycle.

When he gets the puck on his stick, he does have good vision and puck skills, problem is getting the puck and that’s because he is having trouble working within the system. Some players figure it out, others do not. I hope he goes down to Providence and continues to work on it. It’s also could be he is scared from getting concussed in the AHL playoffs and it’s taking time for his confidence to build back up. Again something he’ll get to work on in Providence.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
His problem is simple, he doesn’t work well within a system at the moment. He tends to drift out of position. There was a few times last game where he drifted to the middle and Coyle had to race up his wing side to cover for him at the D point. In the offensive zone he was not going to open areas or being a relief valve on the cycle.

When he gets the puck on his stick, he does have good vision and puck skills, problem is getting the puck and that’s because he is having trouble working within the system. Some players figure it out, others do not. I hope he goes down to Providence and continues to work on it. It’s also could be he is scared from getting concussed in the AHL playoffs and it’s taking time for his confidence to build back up. Again something he’ll get to work on in Providence.

The exact sequence you mentioned about the coverage going to shit and him ending up kind of playing free safety and Coyle having to go cover the point also caught my eye. Sometimes a switch is gonna happen, but he just looked lost when no one else did.

Reactions: mar2kbos

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Lysell’s performance in the last WJC when he went 0-0-0 in D+1 year told me everything I needed to know. His performance in camp this year just confirms it. I think he’s going to bust because he doesn’t have the jam to eke out a bottom 6 role, and he just isn’t top 6 material (at all).

He was still the right pick at the time. This is why draft is a crapshoot. And besides, Poitras looks like what we hoped Lysell might be, so no harm no foul.

Excellent article here : Wednesday Mailbag October 4, 2023

So the eye test matches the stopwatch on Lysell re the D side of the ice. I do hope he "get's it" as the scouts seem to feel he will. He has skill on O but not nearly enough to get away with a 100 foot game .
He’s regressed so much since draft year, i find it real hard to believe he’s going to reverse that trend.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

The National

Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Lysell’s performance in the last WJC when he went 0-0-0 in D+1 year told me everything I needed to know. His performance in camp this year just confirms it. I think he’s going to bust because he doesn’t have the jam to eke out a bottom 6 role, and he just isn’t top 6 material (at all).

He was still the right pick at the time. This is why draft is a crapshoot. And besides, Poitras looks like what we hoped Lysell might be, so no harm no foul.

He’s regressed so much since draft year, i find it real hard to believe he’s going to reverse that trend.
So you’re putting more stock in a 7 game tournament than his full season in AHL last year, (and going a PPG in the first half of the season), against harder competition?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
So you’re putting more stock in a 7 game tournament than his full season in AHL last year, (and going a PPG in the first half of the season), against harder competition?
Not to mention his devastating concussion by that dirty hit.

I doubt that person had no idea about Lysell's stats in Prov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad