Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects \ Providence \ Atlanta

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Dean’s philosophy has evolved after coaching alongside Cassidy, who joined Boston coach Claude Julien’s staff in May.

“Working with Butch was a real blessing. Coming from Jersey, I was very defensive-oriented. I think that worked in the late 1990s and early 2000s — and it still can work — but the game has changed. Butch opened me up to a lot in terms of attacking and the offensive side of the game,’’ said Dean.

“If you’d asked me five years ago how I wanted to play, I would have said structured, tight in your own zone, etc. Now I’d say I want to play fast, attack and apply pressure. That’s how we played in Providence the last five years under Butch. I’d like to continue to play with that overriding theme.

“Young players, players that need to get better, play better and develop more quickly if they’re initiating play as opposed to reacting. You can’t ask a kid who needs to get better to throw the puck off the glass all night. There was a time and place for that, but I believe that the best thing for these kids is to push them to make plays,’’ he said.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...s-over-as-new-head-coach-of-providence-bruins

Me likey the sound of that!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Dean’s philosophy has evolved after coaching alongside Cassidy, who joined Boston coach Claude Julien’s staff in May.

“Working with Butch was a real blessing. Coming from Jersey, I was very defensive-oriented. I think that worked in the late 1990s and early 2000s — and it still can work — but the game has changed. Butch opened me up to a lot in terms of attacking and the offensive side of the game,’’ said Dean.

“If you’d asked me five years ago how I wanted to play, I would have said structured, tight in your own zone, etc. Now I’d say I want to play fast, attack and apply pressure. That’s how we played in Providence the last five years under Butch. I’d like to continue to play with that overriding theme.

“Young players, players that need to get better, play better and develop more quickly if they’re initiating play as opposed to reacting. You can’t ask a kid who needs to get better to throw the puck off the glass all night. There was a time and place for that, but I believe that the best thing for these kids is to push them to make plays,’’ he said.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...s-over-as-new-head-coach-of-providence-bruins
Is this the Boston system??:sarcasm:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Ok I'm confused. I read where Providence and Boston were supposed to be on the same system so that when they got called up they were ready for Claude collapsing D and back pressure 'usually from center' system:laugh:

Just awesome - finally some freaking truth :handclap:

I give Cassidy 100 % kudos here because to me that's how he played both on D and C- free flipping flowing the anti Julien way at least on D

I sure as **** don't remember Spooner and Koko applying consistent if any back pressure and the D roamed more than my dog loose in the neighborhood escaping from the back yard

Wow !!! Claude wanted tight D and Morrow and others would show up and have trouble playing that Julien system

Cassidy as a player was more Cam Fowler type so it can't hurt but I never ever saw any freaking similarities to Boston and Providence

Johnny Boychuk in Boston and Providence didn't resemble the same player right down to the Providence mullet and carry the puck game

Boy Toy gets to Boston no mullet and blast it off the glass, this after Craig Ramsey spent 2 months with him teaching him the Bruins way- although it did take a few years to stop the in opportune pinches that blew Claude's mind

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines

This is music to my ears. I can see Sweeney's plan evolving and its coming. The need to change the strategy was no more evident then the last 10 games where the team stagnated and old tactics that everyone has figured out was on the forefront. I envision a much more skilled, faster pace hybrid team in a few years with a different leader. It has to happen or all of the picks we made are a waste of time.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Is this the Boston system??:sarcasm:

I know you're being sarcastic, but it is. The difference is personnel and their ability to play the system.

You have to have speed to play with speed so younger teams tend to play faster than older ones, but the philosophies are the same. For example, the whole, D to D to D thing that drives fans crazy, is the coaching staff asking the D to make plays rather than throw it off the glass.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I didn't realize that Pandolfo was named an assistant on the NHL level?

Langenbrunner is listed as the "Development Coach", but with so many youngsters in PRO, or on their way, he could probably act as an asst coach for the Baby B's as well?

I'm pretty sure Langenbrunner is slotted for what Pandolfo did the last couple years. Maybe occasionally assisting behind the PBruins bench but mostly a roving coach/press box scout. I expect Dean to have a guy running the D full time.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
Haggs article on Heinen:

While much of the focus is going to be on the young D-men headed into Bruins training camp, it would be foolhardy to overlook a forward prospect Danton Heinen, who is in position for a real dark horse run at an NHL roster spot.

Buccigross has been banging the "Heinen is going to make the Bruins out of camp" drum for 6 or so months too. I've got high hopes for this kid, saw him a few times in Denver his freshman year and think there is a chance.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm pretty sure Langenbrunner is slotted for what Pandolfo did the last couple years. Maybe occasionally assisting behind the PBruins bench but mostly a roving coach/press box scout. I expect Dean to have a guy running the D full time.

Langenbrunner was a captain of the US Olympic team and 2 time Cup winner where he excelled and wasn't along for the ride. I agree he's probably going to be like Pandolfo but I'd think maybe they add someone ? Dean can handle the D and JL the forwards - Boston had brought in Cup winners and part of a great organization in nj

I'm looking forward to having him work with these kids

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Makes sense with all the kids breaking onto the roster this season. Is it like a loan situation?

AHL Contracts

Breen
Bellemore

NHL Contracts

Grzelcyk
O'Gara
Cross
Carlo
Casto
Arnesson
Grant

That's a lot of D for one team. Personally I think it's a shame if a young guy ends up in the ECHL in favour of Breen or Bellemore.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
First off, Bellemore was never under contract for this season. The tweet showing him going overseas simply lists his previous club for those who keep track.

Second, the PBruins rolled with 9 D on the roster quite a bit last season, often playing an extra d-man. Between injuries and 3 games in 3 nights, it was for the most part the older guys who got the nights off while the young guys kept playing.

But, hey, I know anyone over the age of 25 suiting up makes people grumble, so.....

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Brandon DeFazio has signed an AHL deal with Texas.

http://theahl.com/defazio-heading-to-texas-p203145

DeFazio, 27, is set to begin his sixth full season in the AHL and has appeared in 359 career games between the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, Bridgeport Sound Tigers, Utica Comets and Providence Bruins. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound forward also brings 33 games of Calder Cup playoff experience to the Stars. DeFazio (deh-FAH-zee-oh) was a part of the 2014-15 Utica team that reached the Calder Cup Final before falling to the Manchester Monarchs in five games.

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
Haggs (once again) lost me on this comment:
As for the draft, I’m a firm believer in always picking the best player available. When you pick by positional needs over best player, that’s when you end up with nonsensical choices like Malcolm Subban in the first round in 2012.
You don't take a "raw" 18yr old at goalie as a positional need. He was ranked just behind Vasilevski in the draft and Vasilevski is posed to be a starter. Out of the blue, know it all comment or something I'm missing? Who was so clearly better that it was a "nonsensical" choice?
http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/hagg-bag-some-offseason-bs-questions-while-waiting-veseys-decision
:help:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
This is music to my ears. I can see Sweeney's plan evolving and its coming. The need to change the strategy was no more evident then the last 10 games where the team stagnated and old tactics that everyone has figured out was on the forefront. I envision a much more skilled, faster pace hybrid team in a few years with a different leader. It has to happen or all of the picks we made are a waste of time.

So in a few years Claude has to change his tune, or be shown the door.
Which do people think will happen ?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

You don't take a "raw" 18yr old at goalie as a positional need. He was ranked just behind Vasilevski in the draft and Vasilevski is posed to be a starter. Out of the blue, know it all comment or something I'm missing? Who was so clearly better that it was a "nonsensical" choice?
http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/hagg-bag-some-offseason-bs-questions-while-waiting-veseys-decision

The thing is, Subban was probably the BPA at #24. Only Tanner Pearson (#30) has been contributing in the NHL in the remaining 1st rounders and the bests of the rest (Thierney #55, Severson #60 and Gostisbehere #78) would have been considered even more huge reach than Senyshyn.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Agreed.
Take a look at the 20 guys picked after Subban... there isn't anything there except Tanner Pearson, who was in his second year of eligibility. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

Subban is still a better prospect than almost all the guys picked in the round after him.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
from Kirk:

Frank Vatrano…the Springfield Rifle. A new nickname was born for a rising young star, never mind the fact he’s from East Longmeadow- close enough.

The kid who had so loved hockey and always reveled in finding the back of the net has done it in the NHL. Now, the trick, as most NHL veterans would tell you, is in staying there.

Vatrano’s eye-popping numbers- 36 goals and 55 points in 36 AHL games- are tempered by the slightly less dazzling eight NHL goals in 39 games with Boston. Vatrano also managed to throw an NHL hat trick into that mix. In the process, he impressed Claude Julien with his natural hustle and willingness to embrace the defensive aspects of the B’s system, even if it didn’t come as a natural fit.

https://scoutingpost.com/2016/07/22/8307/

This is the guy I'm excited about. IMO, Marchand, Beleskey, Vatrano give us a strong LW. Obviously Vatrano's performance in Providence was eye popping and lead many to believe we have a potentially special talent on our hands.

Down the middle with Bergeron, Krejci and Spooner and now the right side solidifying with Pastrnak, Backes and Hayes. Not 100% convince on Hayes, but if he brings a more physical game and finds some offensive consistency then we have the required grit to pepper through our top 9.

Marchand-Bergeron-Backes
Vatrano-Krejki-Pastrnak
Belesky-Spooner-Hayes

And we also have good young prospects to groom in Heinen, Griffith, DeBrusk and possibly Vesey should this group falter.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
My one positive post for the Summer!

Last year the Bruins had 7 prospects playing in the World Juniors, this year I believe they will beat that number by at least one
Zboril
Gabrielle
Senyshyn
Lauzon
Vladar
McAvoy
Frederic
Lindgren
Do we all agree these 8 will most likely make their respected teams?

wild cards or doubtful
Becker
Koppanen
Steen
Clarke

Carlo,Pasta,Bjork,JFK,Donato and Debrusk have aged out unless my math is wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad