Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects \ Providence \ Atlanta

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I fail to see any benefits to Debrusk's development by sending him back to the WHL as an over-age junior. He's already had a 40-goal junior season, and was a PPG in last year's playoffs.

Contract-wise for Boston, there may be benefits to doing this.

But after 3 seasons of major junior what more can Debrusk prove down there? Let him go to Providence and play against men. If he ends up severely over-matched at the AHL level, than send him back to the WHL for the remainder of the season.

People lament having Zboril and Senhyshyn having no choice but to go back to Junior if they don't (and likely won't) make the Boston club, yet want to send Debrusk back when the AHL is an option for him.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
They don't use the start of the season for the age cutoff. It is December 31st.

The difference between DeBrusk and those others is the number of seasons playing in major junior. Senyshyn, Lauzon and the rest have completed three seasons. DeBrusk has already completed four, which is why the CHL would consider him an overager according to their roster rules.

Jake has played only 3 seasons in the WHL. He's been eligible to play 4, as he is 1996 born, (same as Pastrnak), where Gabrielle and Senyshyn are 1997 born.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
The wiki I looked at was wrong, you are right. The age is by year. One thing Debrusk has only played 3 years while the others 2.

Still I am not sure i care where he plays

Lauzon, Gabrielle & DeBrusk have all played 3 years. Difference is, Lauzon and Gabrielle made their teams as 16 year olds. DeBrusk (and Senyshyn) did not. Zboril is an import, so he wouldn't have been available to the CHL as a 16 year old, so just 2 years for him.

In any event, IMO, DeBrusk has about the same chance of being sent back to the WHL as fellow 1996 born Brandon Carlo. Slim and none. They'll both play in Providence this season

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
At the NHL level, the B’s have five for four slots — Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, David Backes, Ryan Spooner and Noel Acciari. In the minors, Austin Czarnik had himself a good enough first pro season with Providence of the AHL for some to believe he had a good chance to crack the NHL lineup before Backes was signed.

Sean Kuraly also is a natural center. But with his degree in business from the University of Miami (Ohio) in his back pocket, he also seems like a smart young man. He knows it might not be a bad idea to gain a little proficiency on a wing.

“You’ve got to be ready to do whatever. You have to,†Kuraly said at B’s development camp last week at Ristuccia Arena. “That’s something the staff has said to me: You’ve got to be ready to give yourself the best chance. You’ve got to be able to do more than one thing. If you can only do one thing, it limits your value and how you can help the team. For me, the way I can help the team is to be able to do a couple of things, so I’ve been working on getting pucks off the wall. I haven’t played a lot of wing, but I’m working on being ready for it.â€

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/sean_kuraly_ok_with_winging_it_for_bruins

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bleacher Report just came out with its top 50 prospects. McAvoy is only bruin on the list at 31.

No idea how credible this ranking is but was surprised not to find any of the 2015 selections, or Heinen, Subban..

2011 SC champs never once saw Bergeron Marchand Lucic Krejci ever on any top 50 or Thomas Chara Seids Boychuk

It's nice but it doesn't guarantee success

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'd agree if he were still as thin as he was his draft year. Haven't seen anyone mention him looking like a beanpole, though.

There should be a pretty good reason to send a 20 year old to be coached by someone outside your organization's influence.

He's sort of in between right now and he's on Red Deer so he's getting serious coaching

You also start the contract I think

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
WILMINGTON – John Ferguson has been watching members of the Fitzgerald family play hockey for a long time.

The Bruins Director of Player Personnel played with Tom Fitzgerald at Providence College during the late 1980s and later played against him during their time in the pros.

These days, Ferguson keeps a close eye on Fitzgerald’s son Ryan, a 2013 fourth-round pick of the Bruins and the leading scorer at Boston College last season.

So, when Ferguson was asked if the younger Fitzgerald had any similarities to the older Fitzgerald, he did not hesitate.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=889743&navid=DL|BOS|PROSPECTS

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
A solid week of development camp ended with a nice exclamation point for 2015 first round pick Jake DeBrusk when he fired home the game-winning goal in the Friday afternoon scrimmage.

DeBrusk showed the instincts, positioning and the shot that allowed him to score 42 goals for Swift Current during his draft year. He also appeared to be skating free, easy and fully healthy again after a pretty nasty injury saw him drop to 21 goals for Swift Current and Red Deer last season.

“I think I’ve become more of a two-way player, and more of a complete player,” said DeBrusk. “I was playing 30 minutes a night for Swift Current in all situations, and it’s everything you really want as a player. It might have been a little too much ice time at certain points, but it was awesome. Then I was traded to Red Deer where we were hosting the Memorial Cup, and that whole big pressure to win was a new experience.

“I learned lots this year, and about just focusing a little more on the defensive side of the game. That’s what you have to do in the NHL these days, and that’s something that I really took to heart and got better at.”

The drop in production for DeBrusk last season is a little more understandable when the specifics of the injury are made abundantly clear. The 19-year-old winger missed three weeks during the season after he was hit in the groin with a slap shot he was attempting to block on Nov. 3, and one of his testicles quickly swelled to the size of a tennis ball requiring immediate, emergency surgery.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/debrusk-shines-camp-after-traumatic-injury-last-season

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I think DeBrusk's situation may be determined by what Providence's lineup is looking like. If he's not likely to get regular minutes there, Red Deer may not be a terrible option

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I think DeBrusk's situation may be determined by what Providence's lineup is looking like. If he's not likely to get regular minutes there, Red Deer may not be a terrible option

There is simply no way he is going back to Red Deer. I cannot even remember an AHL eligible 1st round draft pick that was assigned back to junior. It never happens.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
IMO he should be riding the first line with Czarnik and Heinen(if he doesn't make the team out of camp).

DeBrusk looked very good in camp He was, in my opinion, the 2nd best forward behind Heinen. But doubtful the coaching staff make decisions on where players will go based on Dev camp performance.

DeBrusk is going to get a long look at training camp and pre-season...if he is ready for the pros, he will get a shot with Providence. If he is not ready, well...then he will be sent back to WHL and that will be that.

If Sween and Co decide he needs to play an overage year - then it is because they see it benefitting the player.

Look at Tyler Toffoli's career...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
DeBrusk looked very good in camp He was, in my opinion, the 2nd best forward behind Heinen. But doubtful the coaching staff make decisions on where players will go based on Dev camp performance.

DeBrusk is going to get a long look at training camp and pre-season...if he is ready for the pros, he will get a shot with Providence. If he is not ready, well...then he will be sent back to WHL and that will be that.

If Sween and Co decide he needs to play an overage year - then it is because they see it benefitting the player.

Look at Tyler Toffoli's career...

Don't know if he's big enough at this point. What's his playing weight these days?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Age for the CHL is calculated from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31.

DeBrusk is considered 19 in the upcoming 2016/17 season, no?
Next year he would be an over-ager.

DeBrusk and Carlo could both play 2 more years in the WHL.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

Don't think so, I believe they can only play one as they would be 21 prior to Dec 31 2017, making them ineligible for 2017/18 season

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

i think it's a moot point - would be really surprised if either sniffed another game of junior.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you

They would both be overagers (20 years old) this year, which would be their last eligible for CHL play. I would be shocked in both don't end up in Providence.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
You can be 21 in the CHL.

Your overage season is the one in which you are 20 at the start of the season/before the New Year (ie. you must still be 20 on Dec 31st). You can start the season and end the season @ 20, or you can turn 21 throughout the season ---as long as you turn 21 from Jan 1st onwards.

Because Debrusk turns 20 during season, he is eligible for the AHL --as are players that have already played 4 seasons in the CHL.

Let me use an example:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145156 Started @ 20, turned 21 after Christmas.

***EDIT**** Damn! I didn't think Debrust was that, that, that old --I thought he was turning 20 after Christmas!! Yup --overage year for him coming up!!

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
It appeared early in last week’s Bruins development camp that Frederic was trying to do too much as he struggled at times in skating drills and looked a little nervous during the first session with fellow NHL prospects.

But Frederic settled in after that and showed the athleticism, the toughness and a fairly decent amount of skill over the four on-ice days of development camp prior to getting ready for college. He certainly wasn't bursting with over-the-top offensive skill like Jake DeBrusk or Charlie McAvoy, but Frederic didn't look out of place grinding and battling with fellow top prospects while showing a ready willingness to go to the danger areas on the ice.

The 18-year-old admitted he’s got a little of a chip on his shoulder about the first round reach chatter, and that won’t be a bad thing as he develops at the NCAA level.

“I have the hard work and the dedication, and I think I’ve been a winner my whole life…so I have that’s something I can bring to the Bruins. I think my two-way play is what they like a lot. My overall skating and my offensive game are things that I’m working on a lot,†said Frederic, who had 20 goals and 40 points in 61 games for the USNTDP last season. “I think you use [the draft talk] as motivation, and something that can push you to get going and to prove people wrong I guess you could say.

“I think I’ll do it, and I’ll work my hardest to do it. [The best advice I got] was don’t read anything good and don’t read anything bad about yourself because none of it really matters. I don’t know if anybody gave that to me, or if I gave it to myself. The main point is [to not buy into anything] whether it’s really good or bad.â€

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/bruins-pick-frederic-out-prove-he-wasnt-reach

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Lauzon is expected to go back to junior hockey for a fourth season in the “Qâ€, and could be in line for a monster campaign as he focuses on the areas Boston has outlined for his improvement.

“They want to see me get more mobile in the defensive zone, and to get bigger and more physical,†said Lauzon. “I think I did that pretty well last year, and offensively that was pretty good, too. I thought I had a great season, and the offense was really rolling. Now I’m coming here with that in the background, and hopefully at main camp this year that I’m going to be ready.

“Last year at main camp it was all new for me, but I now I know what to expect and I’ll be more ready. I want to be one of those players that is going to be really tough to play against in all areas. That’s my goal.â€

But there’s also a chance Lauzon could be the kind of young player to “pop†in training camp.

“Jeremy’s compete level is off the charts,†said Bruins general manager Don Sweeney. “You realize he had a very scary injury and he circled the calendar that he was going to be back for the Memorial Cup. His doctors, his parents -- and his parents are actual doctors-- are saying put the brakes on here, but he made it back and I was actually there to see him play first game back after being off [with injury].

“The competitive nature didn’t take a backseat despite the injury. Developmentally he’s got areas [to improve], just like everybody else, and they’ll continue to focus on and work on. We’ve identified them and we’ll talk to him about it, but he’s excited about coming to camp. I’ve said all along the players will dictate when they play [in the NHL]. The trajectory is not predetermined. When the pond gets a little deeper, are you able to swim and stay there? Each player will have to determine that themselves.â€

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/...-neck-could-soon-be-playing-for-boston-bruins

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
from Kirk:

Frank Vatrano…the Springfield Rifle. A new nickname was born for a rising young star, never mind the fact he’s from East Longmeadow- close enough.

The kid who had so loved hockey and always reveled in finding the back of the net has done it in the NHL. Now, the trick, as most NHL veterans would tell you, is in staying there.

Vatrano’s eye-popping numbers- 36 goals and 55 points in 36 AHL games- are tempered by the slightly less dazzling eight NHL goals in 39 games with Boston. Vatrano also managed to throw an NHL hat trick into that mix. In the process, he impressed Claude Julien with his natural hustle and willingness to embrace the defensive aspects of the B’s system, even if it didn’t come as a natural fit.

https://scoutingpost.com/2016/07/22/8307/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Lauzon is expected to go back to junior hockey for a fourth season in the “Qâ€, and could be in line for a monster campaign as he focuses on the areas Boston has outlined for his improvement.

“They want to see me get more mobile in the defensive zone, and to get bigger and more physical,†said Lauzon. “I think I did that pretty well last year, and offensively that was pretty good, too. I thought I had a great season, and the offense was really rolling. Now I’m coming here with that in the background, and hopefully at main camp this year that I’m going to be ready.

“Last year at main camp it was all new for me, but I now I know what to expect and I’ll be more ready. I want to be one of those players that is going to be really tough to play against in all areas. That’s my goal.â€

But there’s also a chance Lauzon could be the kind of young player to “pop†in training camp.

“Jeremy’s compete level is off the charts,†said Bruins general manager Don Sweeney. “You realize he had a very scary injury and he circled the calendar that he was going to be back for the Memorial Cup. His doctors, his parents -- and his parents are actual doctors-- are saying put the brakes on here, but he made it back and I was actually there to see him play first game back after being off [with injury].

“The competitive nature didn’t take a backseat despite the injury. Developmentally he’s got areas [to improve], just like everybody else, and they’ll continue to focus on and work on. We’ve identified them and we’ll talk to him about it, but he’s excited about coming to camp. I’ve said all along the players will dictate when they play [in the NHL]. The trajectory is not predetermined. When the pond gets a little deeper, are you able to swim and stay there? Each player will have to determine that themselves.â€

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/...-neck-could-soon-be-playing-for-boston-bruins

What a great article

Haggerty gets a one on one with Vesey; a sit down on camera with McAvoy Grzelcyk and Carlo.

This is super informative covering detail and view of player and organizational viewpoint

Joe Haggerty having a heck of a July

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Dean’s philosophy has evolved after coaching alongside Cassidy, who joined Boston coach Claude Julien’s staff in May.

“Working with Butch was a real blessing. Coming from Jersey, I was very defensive-oriented. I think that worked in the late 1990s and early 2000s — and it still can work — but the game has changed. Butch opened me up to a lot in terms of attacking and the offensive side of the game,’’ said Dean.

“If you’d asked me five years ago how I wanted to play, I would have said structured, tight in your own zone, etc. Now I’d say I want to play fast, attack and apply pressure. That’s how we played in Providence the last five years under Butch. I’d like to continue to play with that overriding theme.

“Young players, players that need to get better, play better and develop more quickly if they’re initiating play as opposed to reacting. You can’t ask a kid who needs to get better to throw the puck off the glass all night. There was a time and place for that, but I believe that the best thing for these kids is to push them to make plays,’’ he said.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...s-over-as-new-head-coach-of-providence-bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad