Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Makes sense.

The problem is that if they are willing to offer him seven years at 7.25 million why haven't they? The Swedish article seemed to imply that he knew they were in a cap crunch but wasn't going to take a discount to stay there and he wanted something long-term.

So that sounds to me like Anaheim is:

1. Trying to move another defenseman but asking too much.
2. Trying to get Lindholm to sign a bridge contract until Bieksa's money is off the books.
3. Only offering him money in the Hamilton range.

If any of these are true then you'd hope that a GM desperate for a #1 D and with four 1st available (only because he moved out assets to acquire those four firsts) would go the offer-sheet route and if Anaheim doesn't match, they keep their Fowler and Vatanen duo, bring in Theodore to play with Bieksa and keep the Bruins four 1sts to continue to be a strong team in the West.

If they match, the pressure is doubled to move Fowler which also works in the Bruins favour.

The Bruins have only $5.8M in cap space and 12F, 8D and 2G signed. Let's say you trade McQuaid, $8.5M in cap space. $0.8M (13th forward) + $1M for emergency call, give or take, $6.7M in cap space. So how exactly are you paying $7.25M for Lindholm?

Just to be clear, I have no problem paying the four 1sts, I just can't see that.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The Bruins have only $5.8M in cap space and 12F, 8D and 2G signed. Let's say you trade McQuaid, $8.5M in cap space. $0.8M (13th forward) + $1M for emergency call, give or take, $6.7M in cap space. So how exactly are you paying $7.25M for Lindholm?

Just to be clear, I have no problem paying the four 1sts, I just can't see that.

I think Mr.Hayes is going to be fighting for a spot with Heinen and company. Take out Hayes and one of Miller/McQuaid and you should have the Lindholm money and the reserve money you were mentioning.

Personally, I see 7 x 7 being signed and the Ducks having a hard time matching.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I feel like there now is a clear direction. Or clear enough... People just don't want to accept it.

people just don`t want to be patient enough to wait for it IMO

I "think" I can see what DS is doing and personally, I love it, a clear commitment to first, drafting a slew of D-men to begin with, sprinkling in a nice dose of solid prospects up front, having a few cheap, young players get an opportunity with the big club each year

Some here scream for a rebuild, not sure many here willing to accept that a true rebuild would mean, IMO, bye bye to Bergy/Marchand/DK/Z etc....I think a "retool" is really all DS could do, fan base/media and most importantly, the Jacobs family and Neely would never permit a full blown rebuild so this is where they are.

Problem is with the plan, it`s one that isn`t a quick fix. I still would like to see DS pull the trigger on a deal for a top 4 d-man but from what I`ve read from those I truly respect here and in a few other places, it isn`t as though he hasn`t worked to get a deal done and has just sat in his office playing Pokemon Go

Will his patience mean another playoff missed? No clue, doesn`t look great right now but lots can happen during a season. My biggest fear is Neely and Jacobs won`t allow DS to follow his plan through, react on emotion rather than rational and then what? What bloody GM with a solid track record would sign on the dotted line to work under a regime who has no patience, sticks their collective noses in where they don`t belong etc...?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think Mr.Hayes is going to be fighting for a spot with Heinen and company. Take out Hayes and one of Miller/McQuaid and you should have the Lindholm money and the reserve money you were mentioning.

I think I could push Hayes for a spot at 46 years young:sarcasm:

I`m going to give him a chance but that rope is short, I want this guy somewhere else if we see the same MIA act early this year. If he looked like he was actually busting his arse but was snakebitten I`d be more than ok with a little more slack but everyone and his sister saw what I did, he`s a guy who took up cap space who did nothing last year

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

The Ducks would match that.

If you are going to offer sheet a player, then you have to make it impossible for the other team to match. I brought this up once before, and Elliotte Friedman talked about it.

You work out a deal for 7 years with Lindholm, or Trouba or whoever for 7 years. ( Let's say your 7 years at $7 million per for a total of $49 million).

You then sign him to a one year deal worth $9.3 million. Not only would they be hard pressed to match, and even if they could, you'd then be forcing them to qualify him at that same $9.3 million each and every year until he reaches unrestricted free agency.

Once they pass on it, you then sign him for that one year deal at $9.3 million. And as soon as you can, you extend him for the difference - 6 years worth $39.7 million. Same term for both sides, same money just spread out differently and same compensation either way.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

If you are going to offer sheet a player, then you have to make it impossible for the other team to match. I brought this up once before, and Elliotte Friedman talked about it.

You work out a deal for 7 years with Lindholm, or Trouba or whoever for 7 years. ( Let's say your 7 years at $7 million per for a total of $49 million).

You then sign him to a one year deal worth $9.3 million. Not only would they be hard pressed to match, and even if they could, you'd then be forcing them to qualify him at that same $9.3 million each and every year until he reaches unrestricted free agency.

Once they pass on it, you then sign him for that one year deal at $9.3 million. And as soon as you can, you extend him for the difference - 6 years worth $39.7 million. Same term for both sides, same money just spread out differently and same compensation either way.

Interesting.....has something like that previously happened?

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I get it's not a short term fix situation. I get we have a couple to a few years of mediocre playoff success and frustration before being a true Cup contender. But that was IF they addressed the D. I come here every morning hoping that finally I'm going to see that new bolded juicy "confirmed with link" signing thread of something, anything, that is addressing the D situation other than waiting for the kids to be ready. Because if that's the plan. My lord its going to be so much uglier than I thought. Help.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

Voice of reason, Dom. Money the Bruins don't have, so an offer sheet, at this moment, is a pipe dream.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I get it's not a short term fix situation. I get we have a couple to a few years of mediocre playoff success and frustration before being a true Cup contender. But that was IF they addressed the D. I come here every morning hoping that finally I'm going to see that new bolded juicy "confirmed with link" signing thread of something, anything, that is addressing the D situation other than waiting for the kids to be ready. Because if that's the plan. My lord its going to be so much uglier than I thought. Help.

*Throws HockeyMomx2 a life preserver*

I'm the same way. Until that defense is fixed we're in for some ugly hockey. :help:

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
If....

a young d-man like TROUBA is not a realistic option (Jets intend to sign him no matter what). maybe the Jets consider this in order to clear space for TROUBA.

To Boston
Tyler MYERS and Drew STAFFORD for

Jimmy HAYES
Malcolm SUBBAN
Adam MCQUAID and
Edmonton's second in 17?

Jets clear 4 million and we add the right shooting minute munching D-man we desperately need. One year of STAFFORD at 4 per is better the tow with HAYES at 2+ every day of the week. The Jets just might bite if they feel the crunch to lock up TROUBA. MYERS may just find his form again mentored by CHARA. STAFFORD provides some RW insurance is PASTRNAK isn't quite ready to assume a top six role, insulates SPOONER is PASTRNAK is ready.

VATRANO-KREJCI-BACKES
MARCHAND-BERGERON-PASTRNAK
BELESKEY-SPOONER-STAFFORD
MOORE-ACCAIRI-NASH/RANDELL

CHARA-C. MILLER
KRUG-MYERS
MORROW/LILES-K. MILLER

RASK
KHUDOBIN

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
a young d-man like TROUBA is not a realistic option (Jets intend to sign him no matter what). maybe the Jets consider this in order to clear space for TROUBA.

To Boston
Tyler MYERS and Drew STAFFORD for

Jimmy HAYES
Malcolm SUBBAN
Adam MCQUAID and
Edmonton's second in 17?

Jets clear 4 million and we add the right shooting minute munching D-man we desperately need. One year of STAFFORD at 4 per is better the tow with HAYES at 2+ every day of the week. The Jets just might bite if they feel the crunch to lock up TROUBA. MYERS may just find his form again mentored by CHARA. STAFFORD provides some RW insurance is PASTRNAK isn't quite ready to assume a top six role, insulates SPOONER is PASTRNAK is ready.

VATRANO-KREJCI-BACKES
MARCHAND-BERGERON-PASTRNAK
BELESKEY-SPOONER-STAFFORD
MOORE-ACCAIRI-NASH/RANDELL

CHARA-C. MILLER
KRUG-MYERS
MORROW/LILES-K. MILLER

RASK
KHUDOBIN

The EDM pick is compensation, pretty sure it cannot be dealt.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Marchand Bergeron Heinen
Beleksey Krejci Vatrano
Spooner Backes Pasta
Hayes Moore Nash
Accari

Is that giving Krejci the shaft too much? Really like the idea of letting Spooner and Pasta do their thing with Backes providing d-zone battles and net front presence in the o-zone.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Marchand Bergeron Heinen
Beleksey Krejci Vatrano
Spooner Backes Pasta
Hayes Moore Nash
Accari

Is that giving Krejci the shaft too much? Really like the idea of letting Spooner and Pasta do their thing with Backes providing d-zone battles and net front presence in the o-zone.

At 7 million dollars, he should be able to make the players around him better. Beleskey and Vatrano have both showed they have some skill in putting the puck in the net.

I like the Backes Line, but also wouldn't be opposed to swapping Pasta and Vatrano. (I personally think Pasta would do well with Bergeron+Marchand. Seguin excelled there I think Pasta would do ok, too.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I remember discussing this with you awhile back and wondering why it wasn't done before more often.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Offer sheets are so few and far between. I think in the last 30 plus years we've seen about 35 of them...

And yet the Bruins in the last five years have had two of them used against them with their star ELC players (Kessel threat from Toronto, Hamilton threat from Edmonton).

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
And yet the Bruins in the last five years have had two of them used against them with their star ELC players (Kessel threat from Toronto, Hamilton threat from Edmonton).

Have other teams been bullied (and that might be too strong of a word) into this like the Bruins have?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Have other teams been bullied (and that might be too strong of a word) into this like the Bruins have?

Great question. I didn't hear anything about Subban or Doughty going through this and perhaps a thread on the main board will have other fanbases posting their experiences.

Either way, two of the Bruins top ELC players (5th overall and 9th overall) were offer-sheeted and forced the Bruins GM to make a trade for picks.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Great question. I didn't hear anything about Subban or Doughty going through this and perhaps a thread on the main board will have other fanbases posting their experiences.

Either way, two of the Bruins top ELC players (5th overall and 9th overall) were offer-sheeted and forced the Bruins GM to make a trade for picks.

They were offer-sheeted?

I thought the Bruins acted pre-emptively, in the event they could be offer-sheeted?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
They were offer-sheeted?

I thought the Bruins acted pre-emptively, in the event they could be offer-sheeted?

Yeah, the point being the Bruins had an offer-sheet gun to their head and made the trade before it could be signed (Kessel in Toronto, Hamilton moving him to Calgary to stop Edmonton's offer-sheet).

San Jose fans have also posted on the main board (I started an offer-sheet thread on the trade board to gather rumours and facts) that the Sharks were about to offer-sheet Martin Jones and then offered the 1st instead of going that route.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, the point being the Bruins had an offer-sheet gun to their head and made the trade before it could be signed (Kessel in Toronto, Hamilton moving him to Calgary to stop Edmonton's offer-sheet).

San Jose fans have also posted on the main board (I started an offer-sheet thread on the trade board to gather rumours and facts) that the Sharks were about to offer-sheet Martin Jones and then offered the 1st instead of going that route.

If Hamilton was Bourque-like I'd be upset but he's more like Kluzak.

I'd be very surprised if Dougie Hamilton has a good a career as Glen Wesley

In fairness Wesley was the third overall and played nearly 1500 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad