Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Look I'm not sure he's a franchise player but what makes you say he isn't ? Teams will cough up significant players for him in hopes he does become that player. Bruins have depth and can afford to make that trade. And yes I trust analyst over HF fans.

For me, in my viewings of the guy, I love his game from the blue-line back.

His decision making with the puck isn't bad by no means, but I don't see a high end puck-mover either. He doesn't have to put up big point totals, Doughty doesn't either and I think he's the best in the business, but Trouba lacks that elite-level decision making with the puck the high end guys like a Doughty, Suter, Keith, etc. have. It's the same issue I have with Hamilton and why I don't see him ever reaching elite status, their puck-on-stick decision making isn't high end, I could argue it's mearly above-average at best.

I see him as a very good No.2, but I don't see any team winning with Trouba as your top guy unless he's surrounded by 5 more good D-men. Just my opinion but that's what I see.

I'm not trying to discredit the TSN guys, I like there analysis, but I don't take there stuff as gospel either when it comes to player evaluation, although Bobby Mac often hits he nail on the head when it comes to rumors/etc.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
For me, in my viewings of the guy, I love his game from the blue-line back.

His decision making with the puck isn't bad by no means, but I don't see a high end puck-mover either. He doesn't have to put up big point totals, Doughty doesn't either and I think he's the best in the business, but Trouba lacks that elite-level decision making with the puck the high end guys like a Doughty, Suter, Keith, etc. have. It's the same issue I have with Hamilton and why I don't see him ever reaching elite status, their puck-on-stick decision making isn't high end, I could argue it's mearly above-average at best.

I see him as a very good No.2, but I don't see any team winning with Trouba as your top guy unless he's surrounded by 5 more good D-men. Just my opinion but that's what I see.

I'm not trying to discredit the TSN guys, I like there analysis, but I don't take there stuff as gospel either when it comes to player evaluation, although Bobby Mac often hits he nail on the head when it comes to rumors/etc.

Good points. Very few prospects with top end potential. I'm hearing he has the potential. Bruins may need to take that risk.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Good points. Very few prospects with top end potential. I'm hearing he has the potential. Bruins may need to take that risk.

Agree, I said months ago Trouba was the best fit IMO for this team/coaching staff of all the potentially available D-men.

I guess it depends on how big a risk the Bruins are willing to take. Krug with a freshly-minted extension is going nowhere.

My guy tells me they won't trade Pastrnak, and I don't blame them.

After that, who knows what it would take. McAvoy or Carlo. I'd keep McAvoy over Carlo, some would have it the other way around, some wouldn't deal either for Trouba.

Maybe Chevy likes Carlo more than McAvoy, or maybe he doesn't like either player. Maybe he'd be more interested in something else entirely.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Agree, I said months ago Trouba was the best fit IMO for this team/coaching staff of all the potentially available D-men.

I guess it depends on how big a risk the Bruins are willing to take. Krug with a freshly-minted extension is going nowhere.

After that, who knows what it would take. McAvoy or Carlo. I'd keep McAvoy over Carlo, some would have it the other way around, some wouldn't deal either for Trouba.

Maybe Chevy likes Carlo more than McAvoy, or maybe he doesn't like either player. Maybe he'd be more interested in something else entirely.

unless they plan on moving buff or myers, i don't think the convo starts with macavoy or carlo, i think it's krug which is a pass then you're looking at gryz, ogara, zboril. they need LHD. as do we but not nearly as bad a step in top 4 RHD. i'd argue that you could probably send macquaid or colin miller back as another piece to solidify the Winnipeg 3rd pairing.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
unless they plan on moving buff or myers, i don't think the convo starts with macavoy or carlo, i think it's krug which is a pass then you're looking at gryz, ogara, zboril. they need LHD. as do we but not nearly as bad a step in top 4 RHD. i'd argue that you could probably send macquaid or colin miller back as another piece to solidify the Winnipeg 3rd pairing.

Be interesting if any win peg scouts tonight.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

You want to get stink eye bring up Pasta is my take on the FO also not needed it's Winnipeg strength area

Krug no way can see that.

McAvoy would shock me

Carlo would be a tough one to swallow but if I'm Winnipeg I am locked in on him - but they need a LH D

I'm personally looking forward to a Krug- Carlo second pairing sooner rather than later

Also the money - Trouba is going to make I'd think $6 per or $18 M over next 3 years whereas Carlo will make under $3 M

Don't see the team for team match

Trouba much more valuable as a left shot to Boston IMO or if they didn't have to very projectible top 4 guys in McAvoy & Carlo

Friends who know this better than me say lots of Drew Doughty ability & love of game in McAvoy game

Last edited:

Dupell6

Jul 5, 2013
Trouba has never done it for me. I don't see him as a top 2 now or in the future. I dont trust his hockey sense. If it's for picks ala Hamilton package, I'd take the chance but if it is for something like spooner, Mcavoy, 1st I' m all set.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You want to get stink eye bring up Pasta is my take on the FO also not needed it's Winnipeg strength area

McAvoy would shock me

Carlo would be a tough one to swallow but if I'm Winnipeg I am locked in on him - but they need a LH D

I'm personally looking forward to a Krug- Carlo second pairing sooner rather than later

Also the money - Trouba is going to make I'd think $6 per or $18 M over next 3 years whereas Carlo will make under $3 M

Trouba much more valuable as a left shot to Boston IMO or if they didn't have to very projectible top 4 guys in McAvoy & Carlo

Friends who know this better than me say lots of Drew Doughty ability & love of game in McAvoy game

The McAvoy hype has sold me. Too many people in love with this kid, so I want to hold onto him at all costs.

However, I give Winnipeg any other D prospect plus a 1st round pick and another prospect for Trouba in a heartbeat. So call it Carlo, 1st rounder and Subban (or equal value)? Something like that is fine by me.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The McAvoy hype has sold me. Too many people in love with this kid, so I want to hold onto him at all costs.

However, I give Winnipeg any other D prospect plus a 1st round pick and another prospect for Trouba in a heartbeat. So call it Carlo, 1st rounder and Subban (or equal value)? Something like that is fine by me.

If the NHL plans on folding in the next 3 years I'd deal NcAvoy for him

What you want is McAvoy AND Trouba as your top two RH D.

However Carlo looks the real deal - a unique player who at worst looks second pair.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

McAvoy would shock me

Agree with all of this, especially the Doughty player type comparison to McAvoy. I don't see a match between the two teams either.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

The problem is need for Winnipeg

They need an NHL ready left shot

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If the NHL plans on folding in the next 3 years I'd deal NcAvoy for him

What you want is McAvoy AND Trouba as your top two RH D.

However Carlo looks the real deal - a unique player who at worst looks second pair.

Fine but Trouba is already there and we need help now, not in a few years. I'd gladly make a Carlo, 1st and something deal. My hunch is that there's no way Winnipeg rates Carlo as highly as you, so I bet they'd want a better prospect or a current roster player. And as has been noted, Spooner doesn't seem like a good fit. The tough ask is Pastrnak obviously, but if I'm Boston that's a tough call. If I knew for a fact Trouba was probably our only legitimate option via trade for this season, I probably make that deal.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Fine but Trouba is already there and we need help now, not in a few years. I'd gladly make a Carlo, 1st and something deal. My hunch is that there's no way Winnipeg rates Carlo as highly as you, so I bet they'd want a better prospect or a current roster player. And as has been noted, Spooner doesn't seem like a good fit. The tough ask is Pastrnak obviously, but if I'm Boston that's a tough call. If I knew for a fact Trouba was probably our only legitimate option via trade for this season, I probably make that deal.

Not Just me on Carlo :laugh:

If they deal Pasta based on what I think I know I'd be super shocked

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I let Winnipeg wait at this point. Training Camps are on, and all GM's want to see what they have. Maybe in December, if someone hasn't over-payed for him already. Timing is everything here.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
They're definitely asking for Krug, but that's not going to happen.

They don't want prospects - but if they do give in and go that route, I'd give up pretty much anyone we have. Yes we have good prospects but realistically if any of them end up as good as Trouba that's a win for me. Trouba would make this team and it's future way brighter.

Something like

Trouba-Krug-MacAvoy-O'Gara is a great future top 4 if we gave up Carlo. Or swap Carlo and MacAvoy. I'd rather have Trouba + Carlo/MacAvoy than Carlo + MacAvoy, if that's the asking price

But again, Chevy will hold out for an NHL ready top 4 player so we'll see.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I let Winnipeg wait at this point. Training Camps are on, and all GM's want to see what they have. Maybe in December, if someone hasn't over-payed for him already. Timing is everything here.

This is true but I'd be worried about where the Bruins will stand in December. I'd also be worried about the Bruins' ability to close a real deal during the season as they haven't been good at it for some time.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
anything to be said, other than the longer maturation process for D, around O'Gara being drafted in 2011 and getting his first sniff a half a decade later on a team starving for defencemen?

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Joe Morrow (left shot defenseman) former #1, Jimmy Hayes and a 1st rd pick

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
This is true but I'd be worried about where the Bruins will stand in December. I'd also be worried about the Bruins' ability to close a real deal during the season as they haven't been good at it for some time.

agreed, not without worry; but improvement often comes from experience, one foot in front of the other. Sweeney isn't a dumb man; just an inexperienced man.

I wait. That's just me. I think this goes on for a while, and the anxious will overpay in this poker game.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Liles > Irwin

Seidenberg HF whipping boy gone

Krug healthier

Chara skating much better - that play last night as bad as it ended was not something he tries here and showed how good he must feel; that was an All Star game move. I watched him and he looked better than last year

Even with all the suckage at 70 games they were in first

So addition by subtraction and adding young D from system along the way should be good enough

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
anything to be said, other than the longer maturation process for D, around O'Gara being drafted in 2011 and getting his first sniff a half a decade later on a team starving for defencemen?

He was in college, an Ivy League school and wanted to complete his degree and get his diploma. Not much to it.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The trade for Trouba should be:

Zboril (LHD with very good potential) + C. Miller (Can play Now) + 2017 1st

Pairings for Bruins this year:

Chara/Trouba
Krug/K. Miller
Liles or Morrow/Carlo

Try and find a trade partner for McQuaid.

McAvoy is not for sale at any cost.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Liles > Irwin

Seidenberg HF whipping boy gone

Krug healthier

Chara skating much better - that play last night as bad as it ended was not something he tries here and showed how good he must feel; that was an All Star game move. I watched him and he looked better than last year

Even with all the suckage at 70 games they were in first

So addition by subtraction and adding young D from system along the way should be good enough

As brutal as that turnover was, all I could think was "wow, the big guy can still move when he wants to".

His skating looks better than last year. Maybe it took longer than we thought for him to fully recover from that knee injury from late 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad