Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm questioning the though that Chevy has all the pressure in this situation and no leverage.
To me Chevy doesn't sound like a GM who makes a panic move.
I agree that they want to start winning, when they won the 2nd overall pick their schedule changed, they have the prospects and now it's time to start winning.
But these prospect offers we see in this thread won't help him, he'd still have to get a player back, player who improves the team. Who's a player that makes sense.

I don't like Overhardt at all.
Reading about this Chevy wants to keep Trouba, would love to sign him longterm, Overhardt doesn't give him the chance and now if he doesn't get everything he wants all hell will break lose.

Were the Bruins not in win-now mode when Hamilton was dealt? Would Sweeney had preferred to return an equally shiny NHLer equivalent to Hamilton? Didn't work out that way.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I know he has NMC and have said that often, he has also said that he wants to finish his career in Boston, he loves Boston.

With Trouba Jets future looked one of the brightest in the league, insane forward talent (potentially) with quality vets, and defense was about to have Trouba as Buff replacement once he starts to decline, with Myers, Morrissey, Stanley as support group.
Now trading Rask, or Spooner for that matter for Trouba hurts their future a lot, and their focus as it looks to be should be finding a talented young LD player to balance that defense and help to cover for Buffs decline, Morrissey has potential but he's just 20y rookie.

I think you just need to remove Rask from your rotation of guys potentially going to the Peg for Trouba. With Hellebucyk, they believe they are pretty set (at a MUCH lower cost) in goal, so Rask doesn't really meet one of their needs. Everything I've seen is that they want someone to replace Trouba in the top half of their D corps, not add to another position where they have lesser need. I don't think the Bruins have the right pieces to fit what Winnipeg (supposedly) wants. It's a shame, because I do like Trouba, and think he would provide an instant upgrade to our blueline. I just don't see it happening.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm questioning the though that Chevy has all the pressure in this situation and no leverage.
I agree that they want to start winning, when they won the 2nd overall pick their schedule changed, they have the prospects and now it's time to start winning.
But these prospect offers we see in this thread won't help him, he'd still have to get a player back, player who improves the team. Who's a player that makes sense.

Reading about this Chevy wants to keep Trouba, would love to sign him longterm, Overhardt doesn't give him the chance and now if he doesn't get everything he wants all hell will break lose.

He doesn't have zero leverage, clearly he has some.

But as patient as he is, he doesn't have the luxury of doing a slow burn on this one the way he did with Kane.

Between impending deadlines (Dec. 1) and ownership pressure to start providing a return on their investment by winning and generating some playoff revenue, he's not sitting home and cool with Trouba's camp at his mercy and able to wait it out to get "exactly" what he wants.

How happy will his bosses be if he misses the playoffs AGAIN by a handful of points, and let an asset like Trouba sit on the sidelines all season and not moving him for something that can help them now, even if it is help up front, just because Chevy dug in his heels on a disgruntled player.

The honeymoon is over in Winnipeg. The euphoria of getting their franchise back is over. Fans want to see results, ownership wants to see the franchise start to make them money.

If Trouba was a Bruin and pulling the same move to Sweeney, what are the chances he's still Bruins property past Dec. 1. The chances are none.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Were the Bruins not in win-now mode when Hamilton was dealt? Would Sweeney had preferred to return an equally shiny NHLer equivalent to Hamilton? Didn't work out that way.

If the owners would be pressuring Chevy and saying we need to win now how would a Hamilton trade help him over letting him sit?

He doesn't have zero leverage, clearly he has some.

But as patient as he is, he doesn't have the luxury of doing a slow burn on this one the way he did with Kane.

Between impending deadlines (Dec. 1) and ownership pressure to start providing a return on their investment by winning and generating some playoff revenue, he's not sitting home and cool with Trouba's camp at his mercy and able to wait it out to get "exactly" what he wants.

How happy will his bosses be if he misses the playoffs AGAIN by a handful of points, and let an asset like Trouba sit on the sidelines all season and not moving him for something that can help them now, even if it is help up front, just because Chevy dug in his heels on a disgruntled player.

The honeymoon is over in Winnipeg. The euphoria of getting their franchise back is over. Fans want to see results, ownership wants to see the franchise start to make them money.

If Trouba was a Bruin and pulling the same move to Sweeney, what are the chances he's still Bruins property past Dec. 1. The chances are none.

This is again with them getting a player who improves their roster and helps them to win games, Boston really doesn't sadly have many of those, those who are have NMC's or have been just re-signed and likely not getting traded.
Listened to Dregers interview about Trouba and he said there's extremely high intrest on Trouba, so would think there are better fits than Bostong and they could get a player who improves the roster today.

Maybe Chevy trades separately for Fowler which could change things, who knows.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I never said that. You hinted that he has all the leverage, I pointed out that he doesn't.

As for the rest of the bolded, how does having Trouba sit for the year help with any of that? I'll answer it for you: It doesn't.

Have him sit: Doesn't help this season
Trade for prospects/picks: Doesn't help this season

This does not apply in this situation

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Interesting. Did your super secret source say if any players are planning on have a bad year?

:laugh: You might not believe me, but at the game yesterday I met an insider from Dorcester who told me Hayes is hoping to get less sh** talked to him as the season goes on.

The Bruins had a different mind set and that's why they traded Lucic as well. If they were desperate to make the playoffs two years ago, they would have at least hung on to him. The Bruins were more interested in building for the future and fixing the cap space.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I never said that. You hinted that he has all the leverage, I pointed out that he doesn't.

As for the rest of the bolded, how does having Trouba sit for the year help with any of that? I'll answer it for you: It doesn't.

Have him sit: Doesn't help this season
Trade for prospects/picks: Doesn't help this season

This does not apply in this situation

No I didnt mean it like that, I've few times tried to raise the question does Trouba have all the power here. It's a tough situation.

Like you say neither Hamilton like trade or letting Trouba sit would help the Jets to make the playoffs.
If the owners are pushing Chevy to make the playoffs it's easy to say blueline could use some help, it's a huge weakness right now without Trouba. For playoffs fight they need someone who can play top4 LD with Enstrom.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
No I didnt mean it like that, I've few times tried to raise the question does Trouba have all the power here. It's a tough situation.

Like you say neither Hamilton like trade or letting Trouba sit would help the Jets to make the playoffs.
If the owners are pushing Chevy to make the playoffs it's easy to say blueline could use some help, it's a huge weakness right now without Trouba. For playoffs fight they need someone who can play top4 LD with Enstrom.

And that's my point that you keep ignoring: Letting him sit for the year or trading him for prospects/picks doesn't help him for the season.

Yet you make the point that Chevy has leverage because he can make him sit for the season. That's not leverage, it's stupidity beyond stupid because not only will it bring the potential return down for a player that hasn't played for a season, he risks alienating agents and the NHLPA.

I would argue that Trouba has more leverage than Chevy does, because Trouba can go play anywhere he wants to outside the NHL to recoup at least some of the money he'll miss out on while the Jets sit and wait and watch their season go by with no return.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If the owners would be pressuring Chevy and saying we need to win now how would a Hamilton trade help him over letting him sit?

This is again with them getting a player who improves their roster and helps them to win games, Boston really doesn't sadly have many of those, those who are have NMC's or have been just re-signed and likely not getting traded.
Listened to Dregers interview about Trouba and he said there's extremely high intrest on Trouba, so would think there are better fits than Bostong and they could get a player who improves the roster today.

Maybe Chevy trades separately for Fowler which could change things, who knows.

You don't think Ryan Spooner improves their roster and helps them win now? I'm not talking about what their needs are, blah, blah, blah. I'm simply stating Ryan Spooner makes their immediate team better than it is today.

Heck even an Adam McQuaid helps them be better today. Clearly he wouldn't be the main piece coming back, there would obviously be picks and prospect involved which would comprise the bulk of the deal, but the Jets with McQuaid and no Trouba is better than no McQuaid and no Trouba right now.

Are there teams out there with more to offer/better trade fits than Boston? Absolutely there are.

I'm not saying either of those above moves are realistic, just using them to make a point. I have zero hope in Trouba becoming a Bruin. None.

But Chevy doesn't have all the time in the world to sit on this demanding his absolute exact price.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You don't think Ryan Spooner improves their roster and helps them win now? I'm not talking about what their needs are, blah, blah, blah. I'm simply stating Ryan Spooner makes their immediate team better than it is today.

Heck even an Adam McQuaid helps them be better today. Clearly he wouldn't be the main piece coming back, there would obviously be picks and prospect involved which would comprise the bulk of the deal, but the Jets with McQuaid and no Trouba is better than no McQuaid and no Trouba right now.

Are there teams out there with more to offer/better trade fits than Boston? Absolutely there are.

I'm not saying either of those above moves are realistic, just using them to make a point. I have zero hope in Trouba becoming a Bruin. None.

But Chevy doesn't have all the time in the world to sit on this demanding his absolute exact price.

I don't think Spooner improves their roster that much.
Perreault, Matthias, Armia, Dano, Connor, who else are fighting for 3rd line spots for Jets.

Without Trouba their roster scream for top4 blueline help, someone who can play with Buff.
x- Buff
Enstrom- Myers
Morrissey- x

And that's my point that you keep ignoring: Letting him sit for the year or trading him for prospects/picks doesn't help him for the season.

Yet you make the point that Chevy has leverage because he can make him sit for the season. That's not leverage, it's stupidity beyond stupid because not only will it bring the potential return down for a player that hasn't played for a season, he risks alienating agents and the NHLPA.

I would argue that Trouba has more leverage than Chevy does, because Trouba can go play anywhere he wants to outside the NHL to recoup at least some of the money he'll miss out on while the Jets sit and wait and watch their season go by with no return.

Trouba has more leverage than Chevy. Of course it would hurt Chevy is Trouba would sit or go to Europe.
But I'd say it would also hurt a player who wants to realize/max his potential and end up costing money for Trouba, a lot of money. It would make both look bad.

You don't think Chevy can make Trouba sweat at all?
Chevy doesn't want to lose him to Europe or him to sit, Chevy would want to re-sign him, or atleast get a similar player back and chase a playoff spot.

What if no trade proposal makes sense for Chevy, I'd bet the team is #1 for him. Does he make an offer for Trouba and say this is where we are, sign a 1 year deal, give us a better chance to work out a deal and let's work out something through out the year or are you going to sit?

Last edited:

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick

Could Trouba force a timeline by starting to negotiate overseas? Essentially tell Chevy if he isn't traded by the end of camp, he is signing in Russia.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Could Trouba force a timeline by starting to negotiate overseas? Essentially tell Chevy if he isn't traded by the end of camp, he is signing in Russia.

Of course he can.

I don't believe the Jets hold the hammer here as has been discussed. There are options available to Trouba and I'm sure he and Overhardt will look at all of them.

Imagine if (and this is just a hypothetical but still at their disposal) Trouba's camp said they'd only sign a contract with the Penguins. What does that do to his value?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Of course he can.

I don't believe the Jets hold the hammer here as has been discussed. There are options available to Trouba and I'm sure he and Overhardt will look at all of them.

Imagine if (and this is just a hypothetical but still at their disposal) Trouba's camp said they'd only sign a contract with the Penguins. What does that do to his value?

If that's his only real move I don't think it's much of one, but it is a move. How many North American born players, early in their career, and desired NHL players, are really willing to do that though?

As for the hypothetical, I'd then tell Jacob Trouba, "Well, we called Pittsburgh and named our price. Until they meet it you can stay home. You aren't a free agent, and you don't dictate how this organization is run. If you change your mind we'll welcome you back with open arms."

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think Spooner improves their roster that much.
Perreault, Matthias, Armia, Dano, Connor, who else are fighting for 3rd line spots for Jets.

Without Trouba their roster scream for top4 blueline help, someone who can play with Buff.
x- Buff
Enstrom- Myers
Morrissey- x

Once again your talking about what their immediate needs are. No one is denying that a Top 4 LD is clearly their biggest hole.

You don't think a 50 pt. forward doesn't help make their team decently better. Never said he'd be a savior. I could of thrown out dozens of names from multiple teams and my point would be the same.

Other than maybe Perreault, Spooner is a better player than every name you listed. I already said I don't see a trade fit between Boston and Winnipeg even for Spooner.

Chevy can demand a age/caliber comparable LD all he wants for Trouba. If come Dec. 1 he hasn't been made an offer that gives him what he wants, the pressure is clearly on him from many sides to take the best offer available at that point in time.

He didn't take over an expansion franchise, his team's have made the playoffs once in 5 seasons, haven't won a playoff game yet. Miss 5 out of 6 years and most GMs would be worried about there job security. Doesn't matter how great a prospect pool it's perceived he's put together. GMs with nice prospect pools and zero on-ice success have been fired before. Chevy can posture all he wants, he's no dummy, if he doesn't trade Trouba by Dec. 1, and by some chance his team misses the playoffs again, he might not be around next year to complete his Trouba deal.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
If that's his only real move I don't think it's much of one, but it is a move. How many North American born players, early in their career, and desired NHL players, are really willing to do that though?

As for the hypothetical, I'd then tell Jacob Trouba, "Well, we called Pittsburgh and named our price. Until they meet it you can stay home. You aren't a free agent, and you don't dictate how this organization is run. If you change your mind we'll welcome you back with open arms."

Giordano did it I think.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
rags again i loose my mind if they add him too.the avs i can see going after him they have plenty of young players that can help the jets. BUT this is DS time to shine

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
And where did sign when he came back? Where has he always played?

He played it as tough as he could, and the Flames played tougher.

I can't really remember the whole situation, but he is a NA player that left for a year during a contract dispute. I don't remember him asking for a trade so I'm not sure of the similarities. Trouba is a better player now than Gio was then too and the contracts they were/are looking for are much different.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
x- Buff
Enstrom- Myers
Morrissey- x

The entire reason Trouba is asking for a trade is because Winnipeg DOES NOT USE HIM IN A TOP 4 ROLL.

“They’re apart on money, they’re apart on term and they’re apart on usage. Jacob Trouba doesn't want to play in the bottom pairing anymore. He wants to play with Dustin Byfuglien or one of the other top four D in Winnipeg. He wants power-play time. He wants to be a big part of what they're doing in Winnipeg if he's going to be here for a long time.”
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...-money-term-but-usage-concerns-stand-out-most

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Once again your talking about what their immediate needs are. No one is denying that a Top 4 LD is clearly their biggest hole.

You don't think a 50 pt. forward doesn't help make their team decently better. Never said he'd be a savior. I could of thrown out dozens of names from multiple teams and my point would be the same.

Other than maybe Perreault, Spooner is a better player than every name you listed. I already said I don't see a trade fit between Boston and Winnipeg even for Spooner.

Chevy can demand a age/caliber comparable LD all he wants for Trouba. If come Dec. 1 he hasn't been made an offer that gives him what he wants, the pressure is clearly on him from many sides to take the best offer available at that point in time.

He didn't take over an expansion franchise, his team's have made the playoffs once in 5 seasons, haven't won a playoff game yet. Miss 5 out of 6 years and most GMs would be worried about there job security. Doesn't matter how great a prospect pool it's perceived he's put together. GMs with nice prospect pools and zero on-ice success have been fired before. Chevy can posture all he wants, he's no dummy, if he doesn't trade Trouba by Dec. 1, and by some chance his team misses the playoffs again, he might not be around next year to complete his Trouba deal.

We are arguin about nothing pretty much as we agree on the main point.
But I don't see Spooner as a 50 point player on that team, I think they are pretty happy with Ehlers and seeing what he has as the main left shot playmaker, don't think he'd really fit their 3rd line(role) that much better than the guys they already have especially if hes playing on the W.

For chevy it will definitely be difficult to find a team with a talented young LD, cap space, and willingness to move that player.
Anaheim with Fowler is one of the few teams that make sense for him, maybe after that he'd trade Trouba for something else.
But I don't think Trouba/his agent are helping Chevys job at all either.

The entire reason Trouba is asking for a trade is because Winnipeg DOES NOT USE HIM IN A TOP 4 ROLL.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...-money-term-but-usage-concerns-stand-out-most

He's averaged 22mins per game and their plan has been to play Trouba with Buff, but that's not good enough.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
He's averaged 22mins per game and their plan has been to play Trouba with Buff, but that's not good enough.

The plan is not to play him with Buff. They don't even want to play him top 4. That's why he wants out

“They’re apart on money, they’re apart on term and they’re apart on usage. Jacob Trouba doesn't want to play in the bottom pairing anymore. He wants to play with Dustin Byfuglien or one of the other top four D in Winnipeg. He wants power-play time. He wants to be a big part of what they're doing in Winnipeg if he's going to be here for a long time.”

So again I ask, how can they ask for a top 4 D-man in return, if they don't even view him - or use him - as a top 4 D-man on their team. And what D-man would agree to go (assuming he had a choice) to be used only on the 3rd pair with no special teams.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The plan is not to play him with Buff. They don't even want to play him top 4. That's why he wants out

So again I ask, how can they ask for a top 4 D-man in return, if they don't even view him - or use him - as a top 4 D-man on their team.

Their coach has said it multiple times that 1st pairing is going to be Trouba- Buff, and he's been one of the biggest icetime loggers on that team.
Lawless has tweeted about them.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Bobby Mac says the Bruins, Avs and Rags are after Trouba.
:popcorn:

Hnmmm

I have to think Pasta is a no go and really the Jets got 3 Stud wings in Ehlers, Laine, Connor

I don't see Krug- he's doing everything for them but driving the zamboni and Sweeney loves him

Carlo and McAvoy are RH defenseman projected as top 4

McAvoy seems untouchable and besides shoots right

Zboril? Lauzon?

I think Morrow value low.

This is a two component and a pick trade

Carlo would be a bummer

Spooner ? I like him better than Burmistrov

Whatever I would assume one of the very good defensive prospects goes

Weird to say it but it would be better if Trouba shot left

Post Chara D if trade for Trouba

Krug-Trouba

Lauzon/Grzelcyk - McAvoy

OGara/Lindgren-Miller one of them

If Winnipeg scouts saw Carlo last night and it was only one night but he was good in AHL elimination playoff game they could be on it

Just can't imagine what Boston offers - but if I'm Winnipeg I am very interested in Carlo as a piece

I keep Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad