Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
With Lindholm being LD, I think it would be tough to take such an aggressive step as an offer sheet because it doesn't address the weaknesses on the right side and would leave Boston having to force somebody to play their off side or to make additional moves.

The Ducks are the team with a numbers crunch on their Defense and it would seem logical that they could be enticed into giving up one of their LD, Fowler probably more cheaply than Lindholm.

This is where Dom's nugget about agents getting involved in potential deals excites me. I would think it might be easier for an agent to feel out whether Chevy would be happy enough with a Fowler/Trouba swap. I have also read that the idea that Trouba needs 7mil might be overstated. If Boston can turn a Spooner+futures package into Fowler into Trouba at 5.5-6mil, that would be my ideal off-season move.

If you can add a player who looks like a future #1D, likely this next season already I wouldn't care at all that he shoots left.
That's a player who you start building around, and you don't have to find a #1RD to play with him.

Lindholm would take Chara's role and play defense at an elite level, with a lot better skating/puck moving ability.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I would NOT offer sheet Trouba at anything like 4 1sts. Problem is why would he sign something at lower compensation that the Jets would probably match? They still have all the leverage, because he can't play hockey anywhere unless they okay it.

I think Lindholm is a beast already. And at 22 (23 in January) if you give him a long term deal you get his prime years. He'd be up at age 30. That's the dream.

Yeah Lindholm is the only RFA I'd offersheet and I would do it. Do the Bruins have the money to do it?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With Lindholm being LD, I think it would be tough to take such an aggressive step as an offer sheet because it doesn't address the weaknesses on the right side and would leave Boston having to force somebody to play their off side or to make additional moves.

The Ducks are the team with a numbers crunch on their Defense and it would seem logical that they could be enticed into giving up one of their LD, Fowler probably more cheaply than Lindholm.

This is where Dom's nugget about agents getting involved in potential deals excites me. I would think it might be easier for an agent to feel out whether Chevy would be happy enough with a Fowler/Trouba swap. I have also read that the idea that Trouba needs 7mil might be overstated. If Boston can turn a Spooner+futures package into Fowler into Trouba at 5.5-6mil, that would be my ideal off-season move.

I've harped on the LD-RD stuff as much as anyone, seems like that is the trend where the league is going.

But that being said, it's interesting to see Team Europe reach a WC final without a single right-shot D-man.

Now granted they have a couple of guys like Sekara and Seidenberg who seem perfectly fine on the right side, Seidenberg in particular has always looked better/more comfortable on his off-side. Sekara I believe played his off-side during his strong season in Carolina back in 2015 that essentially got him his shiny long-term deal. I'm not sure who the 3rd guy is doing it, I know it's not Chara.

Essentially it comes down to the player. Everyone is different. I've never played at a high level but as an adult I converted to D after being a winger for years and am far more comfortable playing RD even though I'm a left-shot.

O'Gara played it last night and didn't seem to bother him. He played very well. Granted it's preseason.

If Boston brought in say a Fowler or Lindholm, would either one be able to shift to RD? Or would Krug be able to do it to make room?

Just food for thought, maybe having a perfect set-up of LD-RD isn't the be-all end-all some of us including myself make it out to be.

AustinBruins

Jul 31, 2010
I've harped on the LD-RD stuff as much as anyone, seems like that is the trend where the league is going.

But that being said, it's interesting to see Team Europe reach a WC final without a single right-shot D-man.

Now granted they have a couple of guys like Sekara and Seidenberg who seem perfectly fine on the right side, Seidenberg in particular has always looked better/more comfortable on his off-side. Sekara I believe played his off-side during his strong season in Carolina back in 2015 that essentially got him his shiny long-term deal. I'm not sure who the 3rd guy is doing it, I know it's not Chara.

Essentially it comes down to the player. Everyone is different. I've never played at a high level but as an adult I converted to D after being a winger for years and am far more comfortable playing RD even though I'm a left-shot.

O'Gara played it last night and didn't seem to bother him. He played very well. Granted it's preseason.

If Boston brought in say a Fowler or Lindholm, would either one be able to shift to RD? Or would Krug be able to do it to make room?

Just food for thought, maybe having a perfect set-up of LD-RD isn't the be-all end-all some of us including myself make it out to be.

The LD/RD thing just seems to be a strong preference of the organization. I'm not saying that I wouldn't try it and I am not disagreeing that Lindholm is the most elite name in these discussions, but the lack of finish or creativity the organization has shown in the past two years to address this issue just makes me skeptical that they would pursue the more aggressive, more complicated, more outside-the-box solution like offer sheeting a LD prospect that Anaheim probably wants to sign desperately. The Ducks have too many defenders and need money to sign Lindholm. They have to be more agreeable to a reasonable offer for Fowler. If it's reasonable to get Fowler which leads to a reasonable path to get Trouba, then I'd hope that is being pursued right now.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If you can add a player who looks like a future #1D, likely this next season already I wouldn't care at all that he shoots left.
That's a player who you start building around, and you don't have to find a #1RD to play with him.

Lindholm would take Chara's role and play defense at an elite level, with a lot better skating/puck moving ability.

THIS^ is ideal even though Lindholm is a lefty. When I was a young-un I played right D emulating Orr and Park.... But surprisingly was never discovered!:sarcasm::laugh: Weird thing was that when I got into my 30's (in a beer league) I switched to left wing (for more ice time) and played very well there. go figya!

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's a weird scenario where the Bruins 2016/2017 needs are for a top pairing RD, but long term the bigger need seems more likely to be a top pairing LD.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The LD/RD thing just seems to be a strong preference of the organization. I'm not saying that I wouldn't try it and I am not disagreeing that Lindholm is the most elite name in these discussions, but the lack of finish or creativity the organization has shown in the past two years to address this issue just makes me skeptical that they would pursue the more aggressive, more complicated, more outside-the-box solution like offer sheeting a LD prospect that Anaheim probably wants to sign desperately. The Ducks have too many defenders and need money to sign Lindholm. They have to be more agreeable to a reasonable offer for Fowler. If it's reasonable to get Fowler which leads to a reasonable path to get Trouba, then I'd hope that is being pursued right now.

It seems that way, especially the coaching staff.

To me the most realistic option to upgrade the D right this minute is a deal with Anaheim for Fowler straight up. I suspect the fact that they haven't yet got Lindholm and Rakell under contract yet is the hold up in moving Fowler. Honestly I'd be surprised if he's a Duck by next March unless something drastic like and offersheet or trade demand comes from Lindholm.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's a weird scenario where the Bruins 2016/2017 needs are for a top pairing RD, but long term the bigger need seems more likely to be a top pairing LD.

That's exactly correct

Which means the B's can afford to wait a couple years for guys like Lauzon and Zboril. Can they afford to wait on the right side? I would answer yes, but if a legit young Top 4 like Trouba is available, it needs to be explored.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Our best defenseman probably has 1-2 years left in him before he's done. We just signed a 32-year old David Backes to a 5 year, big money deal. I think we should worry about the "long term" down the road. We currently have Kevan and Colin Miller penciled into top 4 spots. Let's fix this dumpster fire first then worry about whether we need a righty or a lefty in 5 years.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Had an interesting conversation today:

The Bruins have the ONE thing that the Jets don't have....

A legit star goalie.

Put Rask in front of the D in Winnipeg and he would win ANOTHER Vezina.

The problem is that, to land Trouba, the Bruins downgrade to an expensive starter goalie that they don't really want and have to eat salary coming back. Then you take Helly to be your future starting goalie in Boston (he wouldn't do the Jets any good because he would go immediately in the expansion draft).... but you are bringing in 2 goalies and you already have Dobby... and Jets have Comrie in the AHL who they would like more than Subban.

What a mess. No team has ever swapped 4 goalies before .... that I know of.

Rask + Subban (AHL bound) + Dman who gets 18-20 a night (NOT Krug) + prospect/pick

for

goalieDump + Helly + Trouba

Rask would have Laine stay with him and likely go on to win a Cup in the next 2-3 years.

Colt, I suggested something very similar earlier in this thread: Rask for Trouba/Hutchinson

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What is the Jets would take Zboril, Spooner, and Carlo for Trouba, and you still offer-sheeted Lindholm?

If they Cap goes up to 85 million we'll be good to go.

Our best defenseman probably has 1-2 years left in him before he's done. We just signed a 32-year old David Backes to a 5 year, big money deal. I think we should worry about the "long term" down the road. We currently have Kevan and Colin Miller penciled into top 4 spots. Let's fix this dumpster fire first then worry about whether we need a righty or a lefty in 5 years.

Lindholm fixes the dumpster fire, even if it forces Liles to play the right side with Chara (Suddenly on the 3rd pairing)

Trouba makes the team better, but not as much as Lindholm would

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Colt, I suggested something very similar earlier in this thread: Rask for Trouba/Hutchinson

I thought about Rask as well, but they are very high on Hellebucyk. It seems silly to me that you'd turn your nose up at a Rask because you have a Subban, but any time I've mentioned him to their fans they didn't seem too enthused.

"Look at Murray... Look at Jones..."

Fair points I suppose, but if any old goalie will do then why haven't they been able to win with Pavelec or Hutchinson? But I guess that's not fair either. Hellebucyk has done nothing but play well at every level. He's not just a JAG.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Lindholm fixes the dumpster fire, even if it forces Liles to play the right side with Chara (Suddenly on the 3rd pairing)

Agreed.

I think Lindholm is a pipe dream because I don't see how/why Anaheim would ever move him over just moving Fowler and signing him. Makes no sense to me. But if the Bruins are willing to offersheet anyone, he should be the guy.

As for Trouba, he obviously solidifies our top 4. We'll probably still be stuck with Kevan Miller on one of those pairs, and who knows how Chara will hold up, but it should make for a better defense for sure. And it obviously makes for a better one down the line when all of our future Norris winners get here.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think with the right partner, Krug could be our number two guy. The Bruins obviously agree and paid him accordingly. I think Trouba can be that guy; he has a good style to fit with Krug. Then you are looking at second pairing guys to fill out the roster. You still have an aging Chara for another year, and you have the Millers and McQuaid. Can Morrow, Carlo, or Zboril become those guys, maybe? Carlo looked good last night I though. Zboril very raw IMO.

Having the first pairing locked up with guys in their early 20s though; makes the prospect development less of a concern as you don't need to hit on everyone.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I thought about Rask as well, but they are very high on Hellebucyk. It seems silly to me that you'd turn your nose up at a Rask because you have a Subban, but any time I've mentioned him to their fans they didn't seem too enthused.

"Look at Murray... Look at Jones..."

Fair points I suppose, but if any old goalie will do then why haven't they been able to win with Pavelec or Hutchinson?

When you consider Sweeney's comments about Rask at the end of the year you'd have to think Boston would be open to it right?

At this point I'm open to moving almost anyone so I don't have to watch this defensive roster. I just don't think I can do it.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Which means the B's can afford to wait a couple years for guys like Lauzon and Zboril. Can they afford to wait on the right side? I would answer yes, but if a legit young Top 4 like Trouba is available, it needs to be explored.

Yes. Lot of darts to throw at board.

Bruins remind me of the metamorphosis the Flyers went under from the Broad Street Bullies to the fast uptempo group that took Gretzkys great Oilers to 7 games in Finals.

The Flyers had a half dozen holdovers like these Bruins

Very excited to watch these kids develop- not a coincidence the Boston and Providence staffs are loaded with teachers

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
When you consider Sweeney's comments about Rask at the end of the year you'd have to think Boston would be open to it right?

At this point I'm open to moving almost anyone so I don't have to watch this defensive roster. I just don't think I can do it.

Not sure if you like basketball but Celtics should be good. Just take a couple of years off and come back we will welcome you back no questions asked

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Boston and Anaheim have a strong relationship and even if they didn't this is rarely if ever used

The list is short and usually between adversaries

Good choice though - he's a player

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Boston and Anaheim have a strong relationship and even if they didn't this is rarely if ever used

The list is short and usually between adversaries

Good choice though - he's a player

I tend to believe this too. But what are we to make of the fact the Bruins dealt Hamilton partly out of fear of an offersheet? If they are so rarely or ever used, why fear one?

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
What is the Jets would take Zboril, Spooner, and Carlo for Trouba, and you still offer-sheeted Lindholm?

I think it's way too much out the door. Obviously those 2 guys would be huge additions, but not sure I like giving up that much.

I'm usually all in on adding to the team, but it just seems like a lot to me. Fair value though.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Rask to Winnipeg may look great for Boston fans but does nothing for Winnipeg.

Rask doesn't fix their defense(LD) or get their top prospects grow faster.
If you trade your biggest trade asset might as well try to fix a need.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I tend to believe this too. But what are we to make of the fact the Bruins dealt Hamilton partly out of fear of an offersheet? If they are so rarely or ever used, why fear one?

Well in the Hamilton's case. Boston had basically just fired the new GM of Edmonton, and it seemed there was some pretty deep bad blood between the 2 teams. and a desperate need for a D man in Edmonton

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Well in the Hamilton's case. Boston had basically just fired the new GM of Edmonton, and it seemed there was some pretty deep bad blood between the 2 teams. and a desperate need for a D man in Edmonton

I'd classify our need for defense as desperate. Maybe not Edmonton desperate, but pretty damn close.

And yeah, there may have been some bad blood, but everyone being professionals I kinda doubt Chiarelli's new team is going to let him make a mistake in the name of revenge. So ultimately I think you have to assume everyone would act rationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad