Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
And who were they suppose to sign to help the D. Goligoski and Yandle were off the board before July 1 and they took a run at Demers and didn't get it done. It happens.

Not sure what signing Backes has to do with fixing the D.

Maybe, just maybe, the front office realize defending is a 5-man effort and bringing in a former Selke nominee just might help them in their efforts to keep the puck out of there net more often.

If he had simply said "decent" or "good" signing, I would've left it alone. The phrase "perfect signing" though? No way am I gonna let that go without a challenge. I like the player, don't mind the signing at all, but no way was it perfect.....especially given the front office's comments right before it about why they didn't re-sign Loui, and about getting younger and building from within.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I would offer sheet Lindholm at 4 1sts right now. Just do it. Just ****ing do it. You just made a ton of picks, you aren't moving Bergeron so you can't bottom out, so just ****ing do it. **** it, lets try to be good right now, and still hope a bunch of picks pan out in the next couple of years. I'm fired up after this Marchand extension!

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I would offer sheet Lindholm at 4 1sts right now. Just do it. Just ****ing do it. You just made a ton of picks, you aren't moving Bergeron so you can't bottom out, so just ****ing do it. **** it, lets try to be good right now, and still hope a bunch of picks pan out in the next couple of years. I'm fired up after this Marchand extension!

With all these great can't miss prospects, why not?

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Vesey wouldn't even have been our 7th best left winger in the system, so I'm pretty sure we can afford to give up some picks.

Jokes aside, I think Lindholm is already great, so I'd be willing to do it for someone that good and that young.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Vesey wouldn't even have been our 7th best left winger in the system, so I'm pretty sure we can afford to give up some picks.

Jokes aside, I think Lindholm is already great, so I'd be willing to do it for someone that good and that young.

I agree. I'll take the established young talent, that's what this team needs - not more futures.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If Sweeney wants to be tricky he should offersheet Lindholm, and if the Ducks match, force Anaheim's hands to make a 3-way trade sending Fowler to WPG and Trouba to Boston.
With the current core and if the Bruins top 3 prospects pan out, Heinen, Senyshyn, and McAvoy, as well as Carlo who looks to be a top 4D in the bear future, I agree why not.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I am with you on this. Lindholm is the best guy out there, go big to bring him here

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah but they need to understand they aren't getting a LD replacement back for trouba. Why would someone make that deal. They've put themselves in a spot that they're going to have to take the best value and go from there in my opinion.

RD's are in high demand still, and Chevy can make Trouba nervous as well.
Chevy doesn't sound like a Gm who makes panic moves.

I asked this yesterday.
What if Chevy doesn't trade Trouba unless he's getting what he wants,
every pre season day goes Trouba gets more nervous, is Trouba willing to sit at home when the season starts, is he willing to miss the entire year or go to Europe to play, how much will that affect his next contract?
Will Trouba end up signing with the Jets and then be moved?

Last edited:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Absolutely.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If Sweeney wants to be tricky he should offersheet Lindholm, and if the Ducks match, force Anaheim's hands to make a 3-way trade sending Fowler to WPG and Trouba to Boston.

With the current core and if the Bruins top 3 prospects pan out, Heinen, Senyshyn, and McAvoy, as well as Carlo who looks to be a top 4D in the bear future, I agree why not.

Wait. I thought we decided they already did pan out?

We are already Cup champs from 2019-2025. We need to find a way to win a few before then though. That's the issue here.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Wait. I thought we decided they already did pan out?

We are already Cup champs from 2019-2025. We need to find a way to win a few before then though. That's the issue here.
Nope, however, I do think the 4 prospects I mentioned will contribute sooner rather than later. Heinen and Carlo can win a spot this year and if not this year, next year. McAvoy could make the NHL next season. I think Senyshyn is a wild card as to when he will make the team because according to those that have watched him, he could work in a few more areas in his game. Realistically though, I think it will take them at least their 2nd-3rd season in the NHL to become important contributors on the team.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Dom, do you think the Bruins have a legitimate chance (or legit interest) in landing Trouba given the cost?

What about some of the other as-yet unsigned RFA D? Think Sweeney would ever consider a big offer sheet for Lindholm?

There is legit interest, and it's been there for months. The problem lays in the fact that the Bruins don't have what the Jets want. Unless the Jets lower their demands and settle for future assets or a third team comes into play, I can't see the Bruins wowing the Jets with a deal unless it's a clear overpayment.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Had an interesting conversation today:

The Bruins have the ONE thing that the Jets don't have....

A legit star goalie.

Put Rask in front of the D in Winnipeg and he would win ANOTHER Vezina.

The problem is that, to land Trouba, the Bruins downgrade to an expensive starter goalie that they don't really want and have to eat salary coming back. Then you take Helly to be your future starting goalie in Boston (he wouldn't do the Jets any good because he would go immediately in the expansion draft).... but you are bringing in 2 goalies and you already have Dobby... and Jets have Comrie in the AHL who they would like more than Subban.

What a mess. No team has ever swapped 4 goalies before .... that I know of.

Rask + Subban (AHL bound) + Dman who gets 18-20 a night (NOT Krug) + prospect/pick

for

goalieDump + Helly + Trouba

Rask would have Laine stay with him and likely go on to win a Cup in the next 2-3 years.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Had an interesting conversation today:

The Bruins have the ONE thing that the Jets don't have....

A legit star goalie.

Put Rask in front of the D in Winnipeg and he would win ANOTHER Vezina.

The problem is that, to land Trouba, the Bruins downgrade to an expensive starter goalie that they don't really want and have to eat salary coming back. Then you take Helly to be your future starting goalie in Boston (he wouldn't do the Jets any good because he would go immediately in the expansion draft).... but you are bringing in 2 goalies and you already have Dobby... and Jets have Comrie in the AHL who they would like more than Subban.

What a mess. No team has ever swapped 4 goalies before .... that I know of.

Rask + Subban (AHL bound) + Dman who gets 18-20 a night (NOT Krug) + prospect/pick

for

goalieDump + Helly + Trouba

Rask would have Laine stay with him and likely go on to win a Cup in the next 2-3 years.

The goalie dump would have to be Pavelec from Winnipeg's side. He's due almost 4 million with one year left and might be the odd man out as it stands today anyways.

But your really over-rating the Winnipeg D-corps and their team D as a whole. I've never been impressed with the overall team D of Paul Maurice coached teams.

We rag on Boston's D-corps all day, but without Trouba I'm not sure Winnipeg's D is even better than Boston's. Your No.1 D is a roving river-boat gambler. Myers is fairly solid but coming off surgery, Enstrom is Krug-level defensively (meaning he's underrated in that area but still neither are consider "strong" defensive players and can get over-power in their own zone).

After that, they have Stuart who Jets fans want sent to Siberia, a 3rd pairing journeyman in Brian Streit, a spare D in Postma, another 3rd pairing/spare guy in Chiarot. Morrisey is a unproven prospect.

Their top 3 might be better than Chara/Kevan/Krug I'll give them that. I'd prefer Bostons 4-5-6-7 guys over theirs, although not by much.

Neither team is running a very good D corps without Trouba. I'll take Boston's team D under Julien over Winnipeg's every day of the week.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom, do you think the Bruins have a legitimate chance (or legit interest) in landing Trouba given the cost?

What about some of the other as-yet unsigned RFA D? Think Sweeney would ever consider a big offer sheet for Lindholm?

Interest? For sure.

Chance? It's like needing a part for your Chevy Silverado and you are trying to make parts from a Ford F150 fit. But this is hockey and stranger things have happened.

Would Trouba like to be a Bruin? My understanding is yes and by the sound of it yesterday, his agent hinted that they may be able to work out their own deal and present it to the Jets. Just a guess on my part from reading between the lines - and this is not new in the NHL. Plenty of agents have worked out trades on behalf of teams.

Is there a chance of an offer sheet? I talked about this in the podcast with Kirk and Reed a while ago. And agent told me at the time the Bruins were preparing to buy out a player and preparing an offer sheet. 48 hours later, Seidenberg was bought out.

Would he make up the story of an offer sheet after nailing the buyout? If you met me in person you'd find I am a sweet, lovable, kind, generous person and find it hard to believe someone would throw me half a truth. (haha had to put that in there).

But to date there has been no offer sheet. Why is anyone's guess. Maybe they were trying to work out a trade. But I firmly believe they were prepared to make one based on the info I received so I don't doubt for a minute they won't consider one going forward.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Interest? For sure.

Chance? It's like needing a part for your Chevy Silverado and you are trying to make parts from a Ford F150 fit. But this is hockey and stranger things have happened.

Would Trouba like to be a Bruin? My understanding is yes and by the sound of it yesterday, his agent hinted that they may be able to work out their own deal and present it to the Jets. Just a guess on my part from reading between the lines - and this is not new in the NHL. Plenty of agents have worked out trades on behalf of teams.

Is there a chance of an offer sheet? I talked about this in the podcast with Kirk and Reed a while ago. And agent told me at the time the Bruins were preparing to buy out a player and preparing an offer sheet. 48 hours later, Seidenberg was bought out.

Would he make up the story of an offer sheet after nailing the buyout? If you met me in person you'd find I am a sweet, lovable, kind, generous person and find it hard to believe someone would throw me half a truth. (haha had to put that in there).

But to date there has been no offer sheet. Why is anyone's guess. Maybe they were trying to work out a trade. But I firmly believe they were prepared to make one based on the info I received so I don't doubt for a minute they won't consider one going forward.

Pardon my ignorance on this Dom but is there a defined window that teams could present an offer sheet? Could Sweeney still hit the Jets with one right now?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Pardon my ignorance on this Dom but is there a defined window that teams could present an offer sheet? Could Sweeney still hit the Jets with one right now?

It's November 24th or December 1st. I'd have to look up how the "right to match" affects it.

Kevin Stevens signed his with the Bruins in late September and Ran Kesler also signed his in September. So it has happened this late before

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's November 24th or December 1st. I'd have to look up how the "right to match" affects it.

Kevin Stevens signed his with the Bruins in late September and Ran Kesler also signed his in September. So it has happened this late before

thanks for the clarification, much appreciated

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If there is going to be an offersheet as Everett Mike said Above, I want it to be on Lindholm rather than Trouba.

I'm just very unsold on giving up 4 first round picks for the chance to sign Trouba for 7+ million for 7 years

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
This length deal got me thinking about the next lockout in 2022. I wonder how those last 2 years of Marchand's contract will play out if there is another lockout and salary cap adjustments. Marchand and Bergeron are the only ones signed for that long, so really no sense in worrying right now. Hopefully we get atleast a few more 30+ goal seasons out of him
I pretty much mark my calendar for NHL lockouts. They are scheduled CBA negotiating breaks.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

I agree.
If not an offer sheet than the equivalent in a trade with the threat of an offer sheet looming - ala Burke. What fun is there in being a cap spending team if you don't use the money and bully a team with an internal budget.
(kinda feel bad thinking that as I really like the Ducks - and they're about the last team I'd want to screw over)

I do like Trouba also though. He's a solid if unspectacular d-man.

AustinBruins

Jul 31, 2010
I agree.
If not an offer sheet than the equivalent in a trade with the threat of an offer sheet looming - ala Burke. What fun is there in being a cap spending team if you don't use the money and bully a team with an internal budget.
(kinda feel bad thinking that as I really like the Ducks - and they're about the last team I'd want to screw over)

I do like Trouba also though. He's a solid if unspectacular d-man.

With Lindholm being LD, I think it would be tough to take such an aggressive step as an offer sheet because it doesn't address the weaknesses on the right side and would leave Boston having to force somebody to play their off side or to make additional moves.

The Ducks are the team with a numbers crunch on their Defense and it would seem logical that they could be enticed into giving up one of their LD, Fowler probably more cheaply than Lindholm.

This is where Dom's nugget about agents getting involved in potential deals excites me. I would think it might be easier for an agent to feel out whether Chevy would be happy enough with a Fowler/Trouba swap. I have also read that the idea that Trouba needs 7mil might be overstated. If Boston can turn a Spooner+futures package into Fowler into Trouba at 5.5-6mil, that would be my ideal off-season move.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I would NOT offer sheet Trouba at anything like 4 1sts. Problem is why would he sign something at lower compensation that the Jets would probably match? They still have all the leverage, because he can't play hockey anywhere unless they okay it.

I think Lindholm is a beast already. And at 22 (23 in January) if you give him a long term deal you get his prime years. He'd be up at age 30. That's the dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad