Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
They want 22yr old left handed Dman with upside?
Joe Morrow or Rob O'Gara

A little grit: McQuaid or Kevan Millar

plus Malcom Subban and a pick (not a 1st)

Sounds about right.

I don't think the Jets would laugh at this and hang up. I think they'd hang up, fly to Boston, and punch Sweeney in the face for making this offer.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's funny...I reacted differently to that quote from Pasta.

One part of the quote I saw in the paper was that he said if he'd known it was Bergy, he wouldn't have done it.

In one way, I love that he's thinking of his "real" teammate, and showing respect for 37. i'm definitely relieved. But in another way, I want a guy who's going to play 100% in a World Cup, and doesn't go easy on a friend. And it raised just a tiny bit of a question for me about him.

On the ice, a ruthless Pastrnak would be a better Pastrnak. I mean, would any of us have wanted Marchand to ease up on Pasta if that helped Team Canada?

--BCN

I would not have minded if Marchand eased up on Pasta. I could not care less if it helped Team Canada or not :laugh:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
How about Torey Krug for Trouba? Weakens the left side, power play and transition but gives you an actual young pillar to start rebuilding the defence around.

Chara - K. Miller
Liles - Trouba
Morrow - McQuaid
C. Miller

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Assuming Trouba is a "pillar" and Krug is not. Wouldn't you want your new pillar on the 1st pair?

I typed - then thought about it for a second and wasn't thrilled with the idea of the trade as it's just 'shuffling'.

But if they did land him, I'd prefer him holding down his own pairing, away from Chara.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I wouldn't want to move Trouba for Krug; as I think we need both guys.

If we can start with
Krug-Trouba
BLANK-C.Miller
Morrow-BLANK

And in a year or two have the best two prospects fighting for the blank spot; that looks like the start of something solid to me. If you are only hoping for one of Zboril & Lauzon on the left side, and one of Carlo & McAvoy on the right to pay off, that seems a little more realistic. If more than 50% of them pay off; then you have some real trade bait too.

Losing Pastranak would be tough; but it would be to get a definitive upgrade on defense, and a 22 year old potential top pairing defender.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I don't think the Jets would laugh at this and hang up. I think they'd hang up, fly to Boston, and punch Sweeney in the face for making this offer.

Based on the Doug Hamilton trade value, a First and 2-2nds ought to do it.

Oh, but the Jets want a 'roster player?' Or, even TWO.

Outlandishness. Can you imagine the audacity?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Dan again...you are wildly optimistic about every prospect we have. I mean you're certain the defense is a gorup of Norris trophy winners in a few years, and now you're telling us they "hit" on both RW'ers and are set there for years. Even if you take aside how incredibly unlikely it is that all of your rosy projections become true, you're in turn choosing to not acknowledge the upside of a guy like Trouba, who was on Team North America. So it would seem the young guys we want from other teams won't pan out as many think, but all of our guys will???

I'm playing the numbers - that's what Cherington and Epstein did. Theo talks about not dealing your top 5 or do prospects unless you have redundancy

I'm projecting long term and for example why JFK has extra value based on a likely need and specific skill set

Had they signed Vesey I posted I could see DeBrusk and Zboril being talked about in a Fowler deal

if I'm Winnipeg I don't need Pasta. There is no real matchup

I hated the Secord deal but loved the Krushelnyski- Linseman trade

The Middleton for Hodge deal I was in shock it was so good

I was euphoric over Wesley for 3 firsts

I hate Ranford & Courtnall for Moog

I will deal but I'm going by my knowledge and intuition

Winnipeg needs to be factored in here as well

Love trades and when I see a Trouba one I like I will say so

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I typed - then thought about it for a second and wasn't thrilled with the idea of the trade as it's just 'shuffling'.

But if they did land him, I'd prefer him holding down his own pairing, away from Chara.

I like Trouba, but am not as high on him as some others. In fairness to him, I have not watched him game in and game out like I have with the B's. I am concerned that he does not appear to have advanced offensively from his rookie season. The flip side of that is it depends so much on the system, the coach and the role they ask a player to fill.

I'm with Brad, I want the B's to add if they go after a d-man, not subtract a Krug.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

They should unfortunately Boston doesn't have a Jacob Trouba-type to deal unless they could get Torey Krug. I don't think Boston does that either

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Okay but work with me here...

If the going theory is that our D prospects are good to very good and young defenseman are coveted in the marketplace, why couldn't we move a young dman in 2-3 years for some offense to replace the loss of Pastrnak?

The point you make is that in 3-4 years losing Pastrnak will likely hurt, and I'd agree. But for the next 3-4 years, we suck. So, I'd rather shore up the next 3-4 years by adding a real dman, then IF these D prospects end up as advertised, we have an excess in a coveted position from which to deal for offense. And ultimately I'd much rather be in the market for offense than defense.

You are really on a very very vary small island. You keep saying the will suck. I know no one. Not one person who thinks this other than here.

Is your definition of suck not winning a Cup? Mine is what the Leafs have been

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Okay but work with me here...

If the going theory is that our D prospects are good to very good and young defenseman are coveted in the marketplace, why couldn't we move a young dman in 2-3 years for some offense to replace the loss of Pastrnak?

The point you make is that in 3-4 years losing Pastrnak will likely hurt, and I'd agree. But for the next 3-4 years, we suck. So, I'd rather shore up the next 3-4 years by adding a real dman, then IF these D prospects end up as advertised, we have an excess in a coveted position from which to deal for offense. And ultimately I'd much rather be in the market for offense than defense.

Well first, even though Boston has a nice stockpile of young D, they are not all going to pan out, heck even half of them probably won't ever play, but there is enough quantity among the quality that you should find 2, maybe capable NHL D-men out of the 10 or so guys they have in the system. But it's not likely they'll have a overabundance of which to deal from.

And if they did, GMs should never assume that what their team needs will be available in the marketplace 3-4 years out when making deals today. Heck they shouldn't do it making deals assuming what's in the marketplace right now. Go see Chiarelli's quest for a RWer in 2015, or Sweeney's quest to find Defensive help since last year. Making a deal to make another deal rarely works, works even less when your planning on making that deal 2-3 years out with no knowledge of what the trade market will be at that time.

Everyone talks about how coveted Centermen and D-men are in the trade market. You know what else is coveted. Game-breaking wingers, home-run hitters if you will.

Think Kane, Benn, OV, Tarasenko, Kessel, Gaudreau, Perry, Kucherov, even our own Marchand. Very difficult, not impossible, but very difficult to acquire.

Pastrnak has that game-breaking potential. I can't guarantee he ever gets there, but he's the only guy in Boston's system under 25 that I'd be willing to place bets on being a top-level game-breaking winger. Heck forget just wingers, he's the only guy they have with that type of potential at forward. Sorry Senyshyn, Debrusk, etc. etc. are all fine prospects, but I don't see any of them reaching that upper-echelon that Pastrnak can. And you need at least a couple of those guys to compete. Having a roster chaulk full of 15-20 goal scorers is nice and all but you also need those level of guys like the names mentioned above who can score, create, and produce offense on those nights when no one else can. Even when Boston was winning cups you had Krejci and Horton who could break open a game offensively when no one else could.

And let's be honest, Jacob Trouba isn't going to be the difference between sucking and not sucking. Now he should be able to get a near-miss DNQ team like Boston a spot in the dance come playoff time, but he's not going to take a bad team and make it very good.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Different strokes for different folks.

And yet a team like ANA might be looking for picks and prospects for a guy like Fowler.

The audacity!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
It's going to be hard to make a deal for the Jets IMO because everyone is basically at their cap budgets, so you would think some money might have to go back the other way or have a three way deal situation. There are ten teams with 6 million or over left below the cap.

What kind of deal is Trouba looking at?

I would not include Krug, McAvoy or Pastrnak in any deal for Trouba, but would basically deal a group of 3-4 of anything else...means I probably don't get him, but I'm ok with that.

Last edited:

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
I would not include Krug, McAvoy or Pastrnak in any deal for Trouba, but would basically deal a group of 3-4 of anything else...means I probably don't get him, but I'm ok with that.

I think Winnipeg is dealing from a position of weakness. I mean, if they don't believe Trouba is good enough to play in their own top 4, it makes it a little more difficult to ask for one in return. Especially so if a player is required to waive an NMC or NTC, knowing that he's bound for the 3rd pair ... IN WINNIPEG no less. While the market for defensemen is dry, the Jets are unwittingly driving down Trouba's value (play him on 3rd pair, wait till he demands the trade to move him)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
the thing I like about bringing in a Trouba is that he replaces so much of what you lost with trading Dougie, but he also actually wants to be the guy. Dougie was basically given the keys to the kingdom and still wanted out, whereas Trouba is asking out because he wants the keys to the kingdom.

I have to think the Bruins ability to tell Trouba honestly that he'd instantly be a top pair guy and that the sky is the limit for him would make him willing to budge a little on his asking price.

With that said, I definitely agree that the Bruins don't have the easiest path to a deal. A 3-way with Anaheim/Fowler makes sense but only if another team doesn't offer a better deal to Winnipeg and only if the Bruins can offer what Anaheim would need.

Dan's assessment that the Leafs could offer something based around Gardiner worries me because it's the most obvious deal on the table. Brodin from Minnesota might be another option if the Wild think Trouba would be an upgrade. It just sucks for the Bruins that anything they can offer likely involves a third team making it that much harder to deal.

Meanwhile Ristolainen is still unsigned and would be a great fit here, but I think they eventually reach an agreement.

On the one hand I'm glad Sweeney is being patient and not overpaying for anything, but man it's going to be a bit frustrating come opening night if a whole offseason has gone by with so many young D moving or being rumored to be available and Sweeney wasn't able to make a move.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I think Winnipeg is dealing from a position of weakness. I mean, if they don't believe Trouba is good enough to play in their own top 4, it makes it a little more difficult to ask for one in return. Especially so if a player is required to waive an NMC or NTC, knowing that he's bound for the 3rd pair ... IN WINNIPEG no less. While the market for defensemen is dry, the Jets are unwittingly driving down Trouba's value (play him on 3rd pair, wait till he demands the trade to move him)

I agree that the jets have hurt Trouba's value if nothing else. But that doesn't mean he isn't worth a lot. I think the problem is I keep reading they want a good dman back and that is going to limit trade potential.

Bruins best trade chip is spooner in my opinion but I have no idea what the jets would value him at.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
How about Torey Krug for Trouba? Weakens the left side, power play and transition but gives you an actual young pillar to start rebuilding the defence around.

Chara - K. Miller
Liles - Trouba
Morrow - McQuaid
C. Miller

I think that is the only way that a deal could be made to acquire Trouba. It would involve Krug and Trouba and a little add from either side.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
the thing I like about bringing in a Trouba is that he replaces so much of what you lost with trading Dougie, but he also actually wants to be the guy. Dougie was basically given the keys to the kingdom and still wanted out, whereas Trouba is asking out because he wants the keys to the kingdom.

I have to think the Bruins ability to tell Trouba honestly that he'd instantly be a top pair guy and that the sky is the limit for him would make him willing to budge a little on his asking price.

With that said, I definitely agree that the Bruins don't have the easiest path to a deal. A 3-way with Anaheim/Fowler makes sense but only if another team doesn't offer a better deal to Winnipeg and only if the Bruins can offer what Anaheim would need.

Dan's assessment that the Leafs could offer something based around Gardiner worries me because it's the most obvious deal on the table. Brodin from Minnesota might be another option if the Wild think Trouba would be an upgrade. It just sucks for the Bruins that anything they can offer likely involves a third team making it that much harder to deal.

Meanwhile Ristolainen is still unsigned and would be a great fit here, but I think they eventually reach an agreement.

On the one hand I'm glad Sweeney is being patient and not overpaying for anything, but man it's going to be a bit frustrating come opening night if a whole offseason has gone by with so many young D moving or being rumored to be available and Sweeney wasn't able to make a move.

I'd offer sheet the hell out of Ristolainen, offer in the $7,305,316-to-$9,131,645 range (Two firsts, a second and third-round picks). We have our #1 for a decade. Easy. :popcorn:

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I would do Pasta for Trouba. Forwards are easier to replace, and defense is much tougher to groom. Since he has a head start he has the chance to be the leader once the Carlos, Mcvoys reach the NHL. He may not be the likes of Chara or Bourque, but he is darn good, and he and Krug could take on leadership roles going forward after this season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm on team "don't trade Pasta for Trouba".
I think Trouba is good but not great. I see a higher ceiling in Pasta than him.
I can't even stand ready the Trouba expectations from the Jets fans. They seems like they're getting no one less than Ray Bourque-like skill level for someone who has publically stated they want out.

The best offer I'd do is
2017 1st
Colin Miller/Joe Morrow/Adam McQuaid
Danton Heinan/Ryan Spooner

If that doesn't get it done, I say no thank you. I'm skeptical even offering up that.

That's basically a playof 1st for Trouba for Jets view.
Would be difficult to find a spot for Spooner from that forward group and 3rd pairing defenseman don't have that much value.

I'd offer sheet the hell out of Ristolainen, offer in the $7,305,316-to-$9,131,645 range (Two firsts, a second and third-round picks). We have our #1 for a decade. Easy. :popcorn:

I know he's a Finn and I'm a Finn but I believe RR is a player you can build around a winner.
Top10 in icetime last year, played some of the toughest minutes in the league with Gorges and scored 41 points, loves to throw hits and go against top players.

Ristolainens situation is interesting, he's said multiple times he wants to stay in Buffalo but that the talks are frozen.
Only way to get him to Boston is offer sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad