Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I'm in the minority (on the board) but I'm not trading David Pastrnak who just turned 20 and is the leading goal scorer for forwards in his draft class and is going to be a 30+ guy for 10 years. Nuts

I'd buy low here

I wouldn't move Pasta for Trouba. I think he can easily become top 10-15 winger in the league; think he is that skilled/talented.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Here's my thinking on offering Pasta, from a value standpoint:

If each player reaches his ceiling, is a Kessel/Seabrook a fair comparison? Maybe a little too generous for Pasta?

My point is that you have to give to get, and unless you have some different projections for each player, if this is a future 30-35 goal scorer with a mediocre 3-zone game for a solid #2 dman, I make that deal. Obviously you'd prefer to hold onto maybe the only real future sniper in the system, but I think the situation for the next few seasons mandates that you need to find a d-man now. And he needs to be good.

The only way this deal backfires is if Trouba doesn't pan out or Pasta ends up being Kovalchuk. Either are possible I guess, but neither seems overly likely. Chances are one of them will end up exceeding expectations and the other falling a hair short, but that wouldn't make for a terrible trade in hindsight either way.

If Boston didn't have a glut of young D-men in the system, then moving Pasta might make sense to a degree, like you said you have to give to get.

But they do. Problem is they aren't ready yet. And not all of them will make it.

Trading Pastrnak for Trouba is a short-sighted move that might improve the Bruins today, but will hurt 3-4 years from now when everyone is wondering where the Bruins are going to get their goals from.

Bruins need to be patient and not jump of the deep end dealing away their by-far-and-away best forward under 25.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I guess the question for the trade Pasta group is.

Do you believe the Jets make the 1-1 trade Pasta for Trouba? I suspect not and that they would be expecting someone like Zboril/Lauzon and possibly maybe 1 more significant piece.

I think the 1-1 scenario is difficult for Boston to justify, but if you add significant value on top of Pasta in a deal, then I am absolutely against it

BruinsCupNow

Mar 9, 2002
Toronto.
Visit site
I like that he texted Bergeron after the check apologizing for that hit in the WC game - things were going fast and he didn't realize it was his future linemate and captain

It's funny...I reacted differently to that quote from Pasta.

One part of the quote I saw in the paper was that he said if he'd known it was Bergy, he wouldn't have done it.

In one way, I love that he's thinking of his "real" teammate, and showing respect for 37. i'm definitely relieved. But in another way, I want a guy who's going to play 100% in a World Cup, and doesn't go easy on a friend. And it raised just a tiny bit of a question for me about him.

On the ice, a ruthless Pastrnak would be a better Pastrnak. I mean, would any of us have wanted Marchand to ease up on Pasta if that helped Team Canada?

--BCN

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Isn't Cam Fowler pretty much the only guy out there that is a comparable young left-hander that 'could' be traded. And Anaheim has no use for Trouba, they are already loaded on defense.

I suggested a long time ago we work a three way deal with them. Jets get Fowler, we get Trouba, Anaheim gets Spooner or Pastranak plus.

i think playmaker suggested the same idea. if spooner is a guy anaheim likes, it could work with some tweaks. hard to make a 3 team trade, but never know.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Thanks - very interesting

The probability for success based on skill level and his appearance as driven look good

I like that he texted Bergeron after the check apologizing for that hit in the WC game - things were going fast and he didn't realize it was his future linemate and captain

These projections have more validity when it's a young player getting in (hitting marks earlier) as opposed to someone like Vesey with no pro track record,breaking in at 23.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Do you believe the Jets make the 1-1 trade Pasta for Trouba? I suspect not and that they would be expecting someone like Zboril/Lauzon and possibly maybe 1 more significant piece.

I think the 1-1 scenario is difficult for Boston to justify, but if you add significant value on top of Pasta in a deal, then I am absolutely against it

I go nowhere near the deal if they're adding anything of significance to Pasta for Trouba. Im hoping a deal centered around Zboril or Spooner as the main piece can be achieved.

I'm just worried that waiting 3-5 years for the defensive kids to make an impact, IF they ever do, we end up wasting the best of what Bergeron has left. Maybe they target Shattenkirk again this deadline/offseason. I'd feel a ton better if this move to improve the defense through the draft started 2-3 years earlier.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Jets don't need Pasta anyways - they are loaded with high end wings

The Jets need Trouba

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
They hit on pasta & Senyshyn their right side set for years

Dan again...you are wildly optimistic about every prospect we have. I mean you're certain the defense is a gorup of Norris trophy winners in a few years, and now you're telling us they "hit" on both RW'ers and are set there for years. Even if you take aside how incredibly unlikely it is that all of your rosy projections become true, you're in turn choosing to not acknowledge the upside of a guy like Trouba, who was on Team North America. So it would seem the young guys we want from other teams won't pan out as many think, but all of our guys will???

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Trading Pastrnak for Trouba is a short-sighted move that might improve the Bruins today, but will hurt 3-4 years from now when everyone is wondering where the Bruins are going to get their goals from.

Hell, I'm wondering that now, given how we forgot how to score the last month or so of last season, the loss of Loui and the likely regression of guys like Marchand.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Here's my thinking on offering Pasta, from a value standpoint:

If each player reaches his ceiling, is a Kessel/Seabrook a fair comparison? Maybe a little too generous for Pasta?

My point is that you have to give to get, and unless you have some different projections for each player, if this is a future 30-35 goal scorer with a mediocre 3-zone game for a solid #2 dman, I make that deal. Obviously you'd prefer to hold onto maybe the only real future sniper in the system, but I think the situation for the next few seasons mandates that you need to find a d-man now. And he needs to be good.

The only way this deal backfires is if Trouba doesn't pan out or Pasta ends up being Kovalchuk. Either are possible I guess, but neither seems overly likely. Chances are one of them will end up exceeding expectations and the other falling a hair short, but that wouldn't make for a terrible trade in hindsight either way.

I agree. I'd prefer to do something around Spooner; but I don't think he has nearly the value that Pasta would have.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Jets need Trouba but he also sees two players ahead of him in the lineup that are a cause for concern.

They do need an elite LH dman.

Here's the part I don't get about this Trouba trade demand.

Now I'm taking his comments as to his reasons why he wants to be moved at face value.

I know he's coming off a couple of surgeries, but wouldn't you think the Jets would prefer to move Myers before moving Trouba. The age difference alone (about 5 years) would be enough for me, they are comparable players in terms of effectiveness right now.

Is Trouba looking for a place where he can be an unquestioned Top 4 RD?

Or is he aiming higher, and wants to go somewhere where he will be the undisputed No.1 RD on his team and on the top pair playing in all situations.

Because if that is the case, the list of teams who can guarantee him that opportunity a fairly short.

Boston obviously, Toronto, the Rangers, Detroit, Arizona, Vancouver maybe,

At the end of the day he still needs to be able to look at his potential new employee and decide for himself whether it's the right opportunity for him, or is he satisfied being the No.2 RD as he would be on a lot of teams.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I also see the same with J. Gaudreau.

That team is going nowhere without Gaudreau. He's their most important player, by a wide margin IMO.

Jets can survive, maybe not thrive but survive, without Trouba.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Jets need Trouba but he doesn't want to be in Wpg and is using the depth excuse as an issue to be moved...

I can see this getting ugly and nobody blinking this year.

I don't see it being done quickly with the Jets asking price so high. I suspect that ask will drop over time. I would be surprised at this point if Trouba is playing before opening night.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I'm on team "don't trade Pasta for Trouba".
I think Trouba is good but not great. I see a higher ceiling in Pasta than him.
I can't even stand ready the Trouba expectations from the Jets fans. They seems like they're getting no one less than Ray Bourque-like skill level for someone who has publically stated they want out.

The best offer I'd do is
2017 1st
Colin Miller/Joe Morrow/Adam McQuaid
Danton Heinan/Ryan Spooner

If that doesn't get it done, I say no thank you. I'm skeptical even offering up that.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I don't see it being done quickly with the Jets asking price so high. I suspect that ask will drop over time. I would be surprised at this point if Trouba is playing before opening night.

Dec 1 or he can't play in the NHL this year.

I really see this not getting done this year as both sides will dig in their heels.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Here's the part I don't get about this Trouba trade demand.

Now I'm taking his comments as to his reasons why he wants to be moved at face value.

I know he's coming off a couple of surgeries, but wouldn't you think the Jets would prefer to move Myers before moving Trouba. The age difference alone (about 5 years) would be enough for me, they are comparable players in terms of effectiveness right now.

Is Trouba looking for a place where he can be an unquestioned Top 4 RD?

Or is he aiming higher, and wants to go somewhere where he will be the undisputed No.1 RD on his team and on the top pair playing in all situations.

Because if that is the case, the list of teams who can guarantee him that opportunity a fairly short.

Boston obviously, Toronto, the Rangers, Detroit, Arizona, Vancouver maybe,

At the end of the day he still needs to be able to look at his potential new employee and decide for himself whether it's the right opportunity for him, or is he satisfied being the No.2 RD as he would be on a lot of teams.

While that might be true, if Trouba clearly doesn't want to sign with them and is upset that he'll either have to play his off-wing or play on the 3rd pairing line, that's enough to piss him off.

He saw Buff get paid and IMO is better then Myers.

It will be very interesting to see where he goes...Toronto IMO could make the best pitch for him.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If Boston didn't have a glut of young D-men in the system, then moving Pasta might make sense to a degree, like you said you have to give to get.

But they do. Problem is they aren't ready yet. And not all of them will make it.

Bruins need to be patient and not jump of the deep end dealing away their by-far-and-away best forward under 25.

Okay but work with me here...

If the going theory is that our D prospects are good to very good and young defenseman are coveted in the marketplace, why couldn't we move a young dman in 2-3 years for some offense to replace the loss of Pastrnak?

The point you make is that in 3-4 years losing Pastrnak will likely hurt, and I'd agree. But for the next 3-4 years, we suck. So, I'd rather shore up the next 3-4 years by adding a real dman, then IF these D prospects end up as advertised, we have an excess in a coveted position from which to deal for offense. And ultimately I'd much rather be in the market for offense than defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad