Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
When you consider Sweeney's comments about Rask at the end of the year you'd have to think Boston would be open to it right?

At this point I'm open to moving almost anyone so I don't have to watch this defensive roster. I just don't think I can do it.

I think Boston would be open to it, but Rask's year didn't go unnoticed. He's not nearly as valuable today as he was at this time last year.

Rask and Krejci are my two X-factors for making the playoffs this year. With Rask it's will he rebound. With Krejci it's about finding line mates that work and getting production from that line. Losing Vatrano for 3 months is a big blow as I think a Vatrano-Krejci-Backes line could have been very good.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Rask to Winnipeg may look great for Boston fans but does nothing for Winnipeg.

Rask doesn't fix their defense(LD) or get their top prospects grow faster.
If you trade your biggest trade asset might as well try to fix a need.

Um just between us. Rask kinda sorta has a NMC in his contract to avoid getting traded to a place like Winnipeg. Sorta kinda just got a new home. Kinda sorta makes a lot of money that Winnipeg might not be overly thrilled with.

Very remote but not as much as a Lindholm OS

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I think Boston would be open to it, but Rask's year didn't go unnoticed. He's not nearly as valuable today as he was at this time last year.

Rask and Krejci are my two X-factors for making the playoffs this year. With Rask it's will he rebound. With Krejci it's about finding line mates that work and getting production from that line. Losing Vatrano for 3 months is a big blow as I think a Vatrano-Krejci-Backes line could have been very good.

Same guy who 2 weeks ago told me about Marchand told me about Rask looking to have a big year and plans on being here a long time and has the NMC to see it through

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd classify our need for defense as desperate. Maybe not Edmonton desperate, but pretty damn close.

And yeah, there may have been some bad blood, but everyone being professionals I kinda doubt Chiarelli's new team is going to let him make a mistake in the name of revenge. So ultimately I think you have to assume everyone would act rationally.

Not sure you can make that assumption. Rumor was the Bruins asked Edmonton for dramatically more than what they settled on from Calgary

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Look on the bright side. When Vatrano returns, it will be like adding a guy via trade, without having to make a deal :D

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Um just between us. Rask kinda sorta has a NMC in his contract to avoid getting traded to a place like Winnipeg. Sorta kinda just got a new home. Kinda sorta makes a lot of money that Winnipeg might not be overly thrilled with.

Very remote but not as much as a Lindholm OS

I know he has NMC and have said that often, he has also said that he wants to finish his career in Boston, he loves Boston.

With Trouba Jets future looked one of the brightest in the league, insane forward talent (potentially) with quality vets, and defense was about to have Trouba as Buff replacement once he starts to decline, with Myers, Morrissey, Stanley as support group.
Now trading Rask, or Spooner for that matter for Trouba hurts their future a lot, and their focus as it looks to be should be finding a talented young LD player to balance that defense and help to cover for Buffs decline, Morrissey has potential but he's just 20y rookie.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I know he has NMC and have said that often, he has also said that he wants to finish his career in Boston, he loves Boston.

With Trouba Jets future looked one of the brightest in the league, insane forward talent (potentially) with quality vets, and defense was about to have Trouba as Buff replacement once he starts to decline, with Myers, Morrissey, Stanley as support group.
Now trading Rask, or Spooner for that matter for Trouba hurts their future a lot, and their focus as it looks to be should be finding a talented young LD player to balance that defense and help to cover for Buffs decline, Morrissey has potential but he's just 20y rookie.

You should be ecstatic with the upside of the Bruins due to recent drafting

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You should be ecstatic with the upside of the Bruins due to recent drafting

I see lots of quality depth potentially but I don't see a prospect at Laine level or Scheifele. Which is my issue with the prospect pool.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I see lots of quality depth potentially but I don't see a prospect at Laine level or Scheifele. Which is my issue with the prospect pool.

Hopefully we can spend a few years in top 7 and get guys like that

It would be awesome to get high end guys like Laine & Scheifele.

Laine 2 and Scheifele 7 overall seems worth the suckage

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

Or Ehlers or Connor or Hellebuyck or even potentially Morrissey for that matter.

What about something around Carlo and Spooner for Trouba. Too much? Would Winnipeg go for that?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Colt, I suggested something very similar earlier in this thread: Rask for Trouba/Hutchinson

Rask to Winnipeg may look great for Boston fans but does nothing for Winnipeg.

Rask doesn't fix their defense(LD) or get their top prospects grow faster.
If you trade your biggest trade asset might as well try to fix a need.

Probably the last thing that Winnipeg needs is help in goal, notwithstanding Pavelec. In Comrie and Hellebuyck, the Jets have two of the best young goaltenders out there.

Or Ehlers or Connor or Hellebuyck or even potentially Morrissey for that matter.

What about something around Carlo and Spooner for Trouba. Too much? Would Winnipeg go for that?

Hasn't it been stated that Winnipeg wants a left-shot defenseman of similar calibre to Trouba? I said before, but will repeat: for Boston to get him, the team will certainly have to include Krug.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hopefully we can spend a few years in top 7 and get guys like that

It would be awesome to get high end guys like Laine & Scheifele.

Laine 2 and Scheifele 7 overall seems worth the suckage

I never know if you are joking or not but Scheifele is a bit like Bergeron and Laine well already has one of the best shots in the league, so yes I'd gladly have prospects like that on the prospect pool.

I just mentioned prospects that you don't find in Bostons pool and makes a key difference.
I'd say Pasta=Ehlers.

Scheifele, Little, Perreault, Matthias, Roslovic, Petan, that's Winnipegs C group, oldest is 28y. I think they are okay with that.
Spooner offers so little value for them.

What if no one offers that player?

Then Chevy asks how about Trouba you sign a contract or sit a year.
I think that's where Chevy can put the pressure on Trouba. When a player wants to realize/max his potential that doesn't sound too good.

Last edited:

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Hasn't it been stated that Winnipeg wants a left-shot defenseman of similar calibre to Trouba? I said before, but will repeat: for Boston to get him, the team will certainly have to include Krug.

Seems like a lateral move at best for the Bruins, Trouba being a little better defensively, worse offensively, but more upside.

Krug is the better player now, so I could see the Jets coveting.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Seems like a lateral move at best for the Bruins, Trouba being a little better defensively, worse offensively, but more upside.

Krug is the better player now, so I could see the Jets coveting.

Yeah I'd love to add Trouba, but the point is the Bruins need more D, so they can't move out one of the only two decent dman they have in the deal.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
"It's hard to add guys midseason who were hurt."

I'm not sure what this means?

Vatrano will obviously have to earn his spot on the team, which will be difficult if everyone is playing well. However, if the team has room for improvement, there is no reason why he can't be integrated back in the lineup after he's healthy.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure what this means?

Vatrano will obviously have to earn his spot on the team, which will be difficult if everyone is playing well. However, if the team has room for improvement, there is no reason why he can't be integrated back in the lineup after he's healthy.

It was a joke aimed at "It's hard to make trades". Didn't work obviously.

Anyway I'm sure Vatrano will jump right back in. I'm definitely concerned though with what the offense looks like without him. I had high hopes for him this year.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia

I'll ask because I feel like this information is going to be quoted/referenced throughout the season: is there any more context or information you can provide around it?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Trouba is a right shot so logically it would be Carlo since no way they are dealing McAvoy. Only problem is Carlo is going to be a heck of a player making minimum for 3 years while the other guy will make $16-20 M over that time.

They should just keep Carlo

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Then Chevy asks how about Trouba you sign a contract or sit a year.
I think that's where Chevy can put the pressure on Trouba. When a player wants to realize/max his potential that doesn't sound too good.

What was the last team that refused to trade a player and he missed the season?

While Winnipeg may have one of the wealthiest ownership's (if not the wealthiest) in the NHL, even they are tired of dipping into their pockets and propping them up financially. There comes a time when you need playoff revenue. They are a team that operates in the red if not for government subsidies and deep pockets of ownership.

How much pressure do they put on Chevy? There's always two sides.

Not to mention if Chevy has him sit the year, he'll have the wrath of the NHLPA and the couple hundred NHLPA certified agents breathing down his neck in the very near future. More than likely, Kurt Overhardt will probably never have another client play in Winnipeg again. Probably won't even negotiate with Winnipeg.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I tend to believe this too. But what are we to make of the fact the Bruins dealt Hamilton partly out of fear of an offersheet? If they are so rarely or ever used, why fear one?

Well, that's not a "fact". That's a spin. If he got offer sheeted Boston could have matched it and Dougie would have been forced to play for us for a year before being traded. He also would have had a very managable salary and if they did trade him a year later, they could have gotten even more.

Basically they made the deal and picked up about 20 spots in the draft for dealing him instead of taking the offer sheet compensation.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Same guy who 2 weeks ago told me about Marchand told me about Rask looking to have a big year and plans on being here a long time and has the NMC to see it through

Interesting. Did your super secret source say if any players are planning on have a bad year?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What was the last team that refused to trade a player and he missed the season?

While Winnipeg may have one of the wealthiest ownership's (if not the wealthiest) in the NHL, even they are tired of dipping into their pockets and propping them up financially. There comes a time when you need playoff revenue. They are a team that operates in the red if not for government subsidies and deep pockets of ownership.

How much pressure do they put on Chevy? There's always two sides.

Not to mention if Chevy has him sit the year, he'll have the wrath of the NHLPA and the couple hundred NHLPA certified agents breathing down his neck in the very near future. More than likely, Kurt Overhardt will probably never have another client play in Winnipeg again. Probably won't even negotiate with Winnipeg.

I'm questioning the though that Chevy has all the pressure in this situation and no leverage.
To me Chevy doesn't sound like a GM who makes a panic move.
I agree that they want to start winning, when they won the 2nd overall pick their schedule changed, they have the prospects and now it's time to start winning.
But these prospect offers we see in this thread won't help him, he'd still have to get a player back, player who improves the team. Who's a player that makes sense.

I don't like Overhardt at all.
Reading about this Chevy wants to keep Trouba, would love to sign him longterm, Overhardt doesn't give him the chance and now if he doesn't get everything he wants all hell will break lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad