Bruins Off Season III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Pastrank, Heinen, and McAvoy for me.

46/63/37/42/33/40 make no sense.

Krug isn't going anywhere having just signed a new deal.

Vatrano is hurt and I'm very hesitant to move him. Love his game.

Outside of that I'd be willing to package 3-4 assets Winnipeg likes.

Problem is none of those assets are what they really want, meaning immediate help at LD.

Other than maybe working out a 3-way deal where Fowler ends up in Winnipeg, Trouba in Boston, and the young assets in Anaheim, I don't see how Sweeney pulls this off.

Pasta isn't a prospect anymore, just to clarify what I was talking about. Keep your youngest, already in the NHL, skilled forward, unless its a no brainer deal and you get the best player.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Pastrank, Heinen, and McAvoy for me.

46/63/37/42/33/40 make no sense.

Krug isn't going anywhere having just signed a new deal.

Vatrano is hurt and I'm very hesitant to move him. Love his game.

Outside of that I'd be willing to package 3-4 assets Winnipeg likes.

Problem is none of those assets are what they really want, meaning immediate help at LD.

Other than maybe working out a 3-way deal where Fowler ends up in Winnipeg, Trouba in Boston, and the young assets in Anaheim, I don't see how Sweeney pulls this off.

Sorry, if we were talking about existing roster players (not just prospects), yeah, I'd add Krug and Pasta to those. Pasta is our most talented young forward. I'd part with Spooner, but not Pasta.

And also agree -- we'd need a three way deal to make it work. But that's awfully complicated to get done.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
About ****ing time.

But I'm okay with trading almost any prospect in a deal. I think of them all I'd want to hold on to McAvoy 1st, Senyshyn 2nd. Literally anyone else should be easy to let go if its for a yound D-man (I like Lindholm way, way, way more than Trouba though).

I have no problems trading prospects for young core guys.

I like McAvoy, but we all hope he can develop into a defencemen as good as Trouba or Lindholm. I wouldn't think twice to trade a prospect for a player under 24 producing now.

Senyshyn is great, but let's pretend we needed to trade him to get Brandon Saad. I make that deal because we all hope that Senyshyn can be as good as Saad one day. Even if Senyshyn becomes better, the Bruins with the current core need some young talent now to push it ahead.

All prospects should be available in the right move

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pasta isn't a prospect anymore, just to clarify what I was talking about. Keep your youngest, already in the NHL, skilled forward, unless its a no brainer deal and you get the best player.

Agree 100%, he's should be a complete non-starter for the Bruins.

Certainly you don't deal him for ANY of the D-men rumored to be available (Shattenkirk, Trouba, Fowler, etc.). Their just not the level of D-man Boston would need in return to consider dealing Pastrnak.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It's not alarming at all. I'd be way more alarmed if there were rumors Boston was considering dealing Pastrnak away to get a Top 4 D-man to bridge the gap until hopefully some of their prospect D are NHL contributing players.

Pastrnak is a unique commodity for Boston, for all the quantity Boston's has in young prospect forwards, Pastrnak is really the only one they have with elite-level potential. What he's done before his 20th birthday as a NHL player is quite remarkable.

When your top 4 forwards (37/42/46/63) are between the ages of 32 and 28, dealing Pastrnak makes zero sense for Boston, even less sense considering the sheer quantity of young D-men they have in the system.

You do realize what Trouba or a Trouba-level player is right? He's a solid player, he'd be a great fit in Boston right now without question.

But let's not act like he's a saviour or is about to become a Norris-level type of player, or the type of guy you build a D-corps around. And I like Trouba very much, but let's keep in perspective what he is when talking trades.

And at least we agree there doesn't really seem to be a trade fit for what Boston can offer and what the Jets likely want in return.

If you believe his agent Trouba has been on the block all summer. If Sweeney could get Trouba for prospects and picks it would be done by now.

But the last thing he needs to do is cave to the pressure and deal his best/only top young forward in Pastrnak just to fill a hopefully temporary hole on D.

I disagree with your assessment of Jacob Trouba.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree with your assessment of Jacob Trouba.

Fair enough, but where would you put him among all NHL D?

Cause I don't have him in the top 30 right now. He's close but he's not quite there yet.

Will he ever be in that Top 12-15 No.1 D Norris-candidate level? I don't see it.

To me, just my opinion he tops off as a solid well-rounded No.2 type of guy.

I'll eat my shorts if Trouba is ever a Norris nominee or a 1st/2nd team all-star.

Mr. Make-Believe

Fair enough, but where would you put him among all NHL D?

Cause I don't have him in the top 30 right now. He's close but he's not quite there yet.

Will he ever be in that Top 12-15 No.1 D Norris-candidate level? I don't see it.

To me, just my opinion he tops off as a solid well-rounded No.2 type of guy.

I'll eat my shorts if Trouba is ever a Norris nominee or a 1st/2nd team all-star.

I don't know if I see Norris trophies in his future, but I don't think it's entirely out of the question.

And I do think (depending on wherehe ends up) he'll be considered in the top ten at his position in the next 2-3 years.

I think he's legit. And I also believe he'd benefit greatly by being in a tight system like Julien's.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I don't know if I see Norris trophies in his future, but I don't think it's entirely out of the question.

And I do think (depending on wherehe ends up) he'll be considered in the top ten at his position in the next 2-3 years.

I think he's legit. And I also believe he'd benefit greatly by being in a tight system like Julien's.

If Sweeney views Trouba that highly, wouldn't it be incumbent on him to offer Krug in exchange? Krug is good but he'll never be first pairing good and certainly nothing close to top 10 good.

I don't have an opinion on Trouba personally, as I haven't seen him nearly enough. If he's going to be that kind of player, though, I think you have to take the hit of trading someone like Krug for the future gains.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Closest they could get to that would be Hamonic, who had requested a trade TO WINNIPEG this time last season.

A month or two ago, I proposed a 3 way deal with WPG getting Fowler, BOS getting Trouba and ANA getting Spooner+. Maybe that plus is a first or a top prospect like DeBrusk but ANA fans were on board. Jets fans were still in denial that Trouba wants out.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I asked Billy Jaffe what he thought about Trouba and he said what Dom said - it's going to be a hard matchup. Not to put words in Jaffe mouth but my take away is Boston is not an easy fit. Dom said they'd likely need a third team. Boston may need him more but other teams have players who are good that can play now and have NHL experience

Yeah that's all I have been reading at least and this just confirms it for me personally even more. Thats too bad

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Now that part I absolutely agree with.

He's just what the doctor order for Julien's bend-don't-break defensive system. He'd be a great fit here right now.

Guy is a physical specimen, strong as an ox, I'll give Trouba that much.

And he'd be successful in a Julien-system that doesn't require D-men to make as quick decisions and display offensive creativity that other team's systems would need. Defensively in Julien's system from the Bruins blue-line in, he'd be a top end guy. He brings that level of size, strength, and defensive awareness that has allowed guys like Boychuk, Seidenberg, McQuaid and K.Miller to have success playing for Julien, granted he would be able to do it on a higher level than those guys.

But that's the main reason why I don't think he'll ever be in that elite class, a true No.1 guy.

I don't see the offensive chops/creativity and quick decision making with the puck on his stick that the top level guys have.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Maybe this is a tad off topic, but what do people see Pastrnak becoming? If you had to pick a F who you think he will end up performing similarly to in his career, who would that be?

I ask, because I think that while he is a good young player, is he the kind of guy who will make as much of a difference as a very good D?

Mr. Make-Believe

A month or two ago, I proposed a 3 way deal with WPG getting Fowler, BOS getting Trouba and ANA getting Spooner+. Maybe that plus is a first or a top prospect like DeBrusk but ANA fans were on board. Jets fans were still in denial that Trouba wants out.

And this is the kind of deal that makes all kinds of sense to me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe this is a tad off topic, but what do people see Pastrnak becoming? If you had to pick a F who you think he will end up performing similarly to in his career, who would that be?

I ask, because I think that while he is a good young player, is he the kind of guy who will make as much of a difference as a very good D?

I don't know what player to compare him to, but he was a 20 g, 20 a over a 82 games season pace since he broke in at 18 back in Jan. 2015. All this before his 20th birthday.

I see him becoming a 30 g, 35-40 Assist guy when he's in his prime. Essentially a top line scoring winger. I don't see any other sub-25 forward on Boston having that potential.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Serious question, when was the last time there was a three way trade in the NHL? I am not saying your proposal is bad, but I can't remember the last 3 way trade.

Mr. Make-Believe

Now that part I absolutely agree with.

He's just what the doctor order for Julien's bend-don't-break defensive system. He'd be a great fit here right now.

Guy is a physical specimen, strong as an ox, I'll give Trouba that much.

And he'd be successful in a Julien-system that doesn't require D-men to make as quick decisions and display offensive creativity that other team's systems would need. Defensively in Julien's system from the Bruins blue-line in, he'd be a top end guy. He brings that level of size, strength, and defensive awareness that has allowed guys like Boychuk, Seidenberg, McQuaid and K.Miller to have success playing for Julien, granted he would be able to do it on a higher level than those guys.

But that's the main reason why I don't think he'll ever be in that elite class, a true No.1 guy.

I don't see the offensive chops/creativity and quick decision making with the puck on his stick that the top level guys have.

I take it back... I don't think we disagree on the player.

I think the difference is in how much we respectively value offensive creativity from the defense.

Trying to find a way to word this that isn't confusing, but I will generally appreciate the guy who wins the physical battles and isn't hesitant to make the safe play over the smaller speedy defense player, who employs stronger creativity, but tricks along with his treats...

Does that make sense?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
You would know better than me, but is there a mechanism for 'three-way deals' in the NHL? Because I was under the impression that was two separate transactions with one player changing teams twice.
B's trade Spooner + for Fowler, then Trade Fowler to Jets for Trouba. Same premise

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You would know better than me, but is there a mechanism for 'three-way deals' in the NHL? Because I was under the impression that was two separate transactions with one player changing teams twice.

By definition it was a three way deal. It's how it was filed with the league (as a three way) All parties had to pass physicals with their new teams. Any failure would have negated both deals.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's not alarming at all. I'd be way more alarmed if there were rumors Boston was considering dealing Pastrnak away to get a Top 4 D-man to bridge the gap until hopefully some of their prospect D are NHL contributing players.

Pastrnak is a unique commodity for Boston, for all the quantity Boston's has in young prospect forwards, Pastrnak is really the only one they have with elite-level potential. What he's done before his 20th birthday as a NHL player is quite remarkable.

When your top 4 forwards (37/42/46/63) are between the ages of 32 and 28, dealing Pastrnak makes zero sense for Boston, even less sense considering the sheer quantity of young D-men they have in the system.

You do realize what Trouba or a Trouba-level player is right? He's a solid player, he'd be a great fit in Boston right now without question.

But let's not act like he's a saviour or is about to become a Norris-level type of player, or the type of guy you build a D-corps around. And I like Trouba very much, but let's keep in perspective what he is when talking trades.

And at least we agree there doesn't really seem to be a trade fit for what Boston can offer and what the Jets likely want in return.

If you believe his agent Trouba has been on the block all summer. If Sweeney could get Trouba for prospects and picks it would be done by now.

But the last thing he needs to do is cave to the pressure and deal his best/only top young forward in Pastrnak just to fill a hopefully temporary hole on D.

I wasn't planning on offering Pasta, I was looking at the comment and fearing they are too high on their prospects/players overall and not being aggressive enough.
To me Trouba could set up that RD side nicely for 10 years, I like him, his skating, defense, shot and he plays with a physical side, I don't have a problem with calling him a good #3D today with room to improve.
He's had the honour of playing with one of the worst defenseman in the league who's been dragging his numbers down.

But with Chara, Krug, McQuaid, Liles, Kevan, Colin it's difficult to see a Winnipeg - Boston trade.

Pasta would be on the table easily but only for guys who seem to be developing into #1D's but those guys won't get traded or if they do Pasta+ would get beaten easily.

Last edited:

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor

Marco Sturm?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

He reminds me of Tony Amonte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad