Rumor: Bruins and Oilers talking swap?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mar 26, 2010
Boston gets robbed at gun point with this deal. Just awful.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I knew someone would say something dumb like this.
How is dumb, have you seen the way Pasta ,Bergey , and Marchand get manhandled , not even mentioning their smallish Dman............ So I think you reconsider your dumb reply

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
This can't be serious. How can the oilers even afford Debrusk's cap? We already will need to work some magic to get Bouchard and Puljujarvi signed next year.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
This would be the Oilers selling a good asset at a very low point .. so yeah, will probably happen!

I have all day for Kassian for Debrusk and then not keeping Debrusk since his qualifying offer is too high.

The Bruins are doing the same with Debrusk. It does make sense... But the Bruins need more size, not less.

Unfortunately Sweeney and Cassidy enjoy watching their players bullied.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
With Debrusk there is atleast a 3 year history if him scoring at a good second line clip 20 goals and 40 to 50 point paces.

I could definitely see why the Oilers would be interested if he bounces back to that player.

Yamamoto seems to have stalled after his initial hot streak. It's hard to imagine that he can't produce more playing with a top 2 to 3 player in the league.

DeBrusk was 2nd line LW and 1st unit PP in front of the net first 3 years of his career, put up decent numbers, with him declining a bit the 3rd year. In his 4th year, they gave the new toy Ritchie the 2nd line LW spot and 1st PP unit in front of the net. Ritchie had a good 20 games so he deserved it, but after that was pure garbage, and they yet let it ride until Hall came into the picture. Actually even with Hall in the picture at first taking his 2nd line LW spot, Ritchie still stayed on the 1st PP unit until 2nd game in the playoffs undeserving. They haven't gave DeBrusk a chance since taking him off those positions he had the first 3 years.

Others say DeBrusk hasn't earned the chance back, but the players they have gave chances to haven't really earned them either. So it's clear to me why he has requested a trade, he hasn't been given a chance to redeem himself in the position that made him successful before, and why he even got his current contract, along with seeing who has been given the chances ahead of him. Doesn't think he'll get a fair shake here and would say it's reasonable.

Seems like big time disorganized management to give good money to a player for the role he provided previously, but once the contract signed he was never back in that position again. Not once.

He gets another chance in a top 6 role, personally have no doubt he will produce.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The Bruins are doing the same with Debrusk. It does make sense... But the Bruins need more size, not less.

Unfortunately Sweeney and Cassidy enjoy watching their players bullied.
I get it..

In a vacuum I'd say they are about equal performance wise (both underwhelming but with different traits so hard to compare across the board).

The differenc is that Yam is younger and much cheaper.

So trading a struggling asset that is younger (23) and cheap (1.1) for a struggling asset that is older (25) and more expensive (3.6) is poor asset management. However, that is an Oiler's trademark.

I'm not sure what Jake brings that makes him worth 3x more than Kailer today?

It's the same reason the B's fans scoff at the Kassian offer... in a vaccuum he's not much worse than Debrusk and might bring intangible the B's need but he's expensive and older. That's how I feel about the Yam for Debrusk trade.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I get it..

In a vacuum I'd say they are about equal performance wise (both underwhelming but with different traits so hard to compare across the board).

The differenc is that Yam is younger and much cheaper.

So trading a struggling asset that is younger (23) and cheap (1.1) for a struggling asset that is older (25) and more expensive (3.6) is poor asset management. However, that is an Oiler's trademark.

I'm not sure what Jake brings that makes him worth 3x more than Kailer today?

It's the same reason the B's fans scoff at the Kassian offer... in a vaccuum he's not much worse than Debrusk and might bring intangible the B's need but he's expensive and older. That's how I feel about the Yam for Debrusk trade.
The reason why Bruins scoff at Kassien is that he is 30 years old, 3 years left at 3.2 million, 197 points in a declining career. Jake is 25 years old, RFA who’s contract could be renegotiated and has already 142 points. Future potential is much more than Kassien. That’s the difference.
Yam might be younger and cheaper but he is also 5’8 and 150 pds. A small player like him will struggle in the NHL and would be invisible when it comes playoff time. Jake has past history of a playoff performer and that is where the difference is once again.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The reason why Bruins scoff at Kassien is that he is 30 years old, 3 years left at 3.2 million, 197 points in a declining career. Jake is 25 years old, RFA who’s contract could be renegotiated and has already 142 points. Future potential is much more than Kassien. That’s the difference.
Yam might be younger and cheaper but he is also 5’8 and 150 pds. A small player like him will struggle in the NHL and would be invisible when it comes playoff time. Jake has past history of a playoff performer and that is where the difference is once again.
7 points in his last 23 playoff games over 2 playoff years.

upload_2021-12-31_13-35-47.png

Kailers size and weight aren't a stat. I'm not trying to be rude but have you seen him play consistently at the NHL level.. size doesn't seem to be an issue.

I wouldn't do the Kass trade if I were the B's
I also wouldn't do the Yam trade if I were the Oil.

FTR.. it's been very well known he wants a trade... yet he's still a B. Debrusk has no value right now. (note: Not saying Yam does... but I would not trade him at his lowest point)

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
How is dumb, have you seen the way Pasta ,Bergey , and Marchand get manhandled , not even mentioning their smallish Dman............ So I think you reconsider your dumb reply

Yamamoto is the opposite of soft. If you had the slightest clue about him you'd never post that comment. Stating something like that is dumb, plain and simple.

I am not commenting on the Bruins side of your comment, if you meant it as such.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yamamoto is the opposite of soft. If you had the slightest clue about him you'd never post that comment. Stating something like that is dumb, plain and simple.

I am not commenting on the Bruins side of your comment, if you meant it as such.
That's impossible.. I have never seen him play but I saw 5 foot 8 and know he will never succeed.lol

We should offer Niem for Debrusk... he's got great 'stats'... over 200lbs and well over 6 feet tall.

I'd do Koskinen for Debrusk.. he's got great 'stats' too.. he's over 2 metres tall.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Imo Yamamoto is getting a bit underrated here.

Gonna hate it when DeBrusk scores 30+ with McDrai though, but what you gonna do.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
7 points in his last 23 playoff games over 2 playoff years.

View attachment 494464

Kailers size and weight aren't a stat. I'm not trying to be rude but have you seen him play consistently at the NHL level.. size doesn't seem to be an issue.

I wouldn't do the Kass trade if I were the B's
I also wouldn't do the Yam trade if I were the Oil.

FTR.. it's been very well known he wants a trade... yet he's still a B. Debrusk has no value right now. (note: Not saying Yam does... but I would not trade him at his lowest point)
Convenient that you left out DeBrusk’s other two year totals in the playoffs.
4 years - 26 points DeBrusk
2 years -1 point Yamamoto
But that alright because Bruins will find a deal of better value.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Both sides are overestimating their guy's worth lmao.

DeBrusk has had one good season (27 G in 68 GP) and then it took him about 120 games to match said career high and has largely been a net negative. Yamamoto had one stupidly good stretch in 2020 (26 P in 27 GP) and much like DeBrusk, took almost an entire season's worth of games to match said point total.

It's almost like, and try to stay with me here on this one...they're in incredibly similar situations! Crazy right? DeBrusk couldn't do squat with Krejci and Yamamoto hasn't been able to do shit with either McDavid or Drasaitl.

I would honestly probably do it just to see if a change of scenery is what the doctor ordered for both guys. Bruins fans grossly overvalue what DeBrusk is worth and the Oilers are making a bit of a weird move here given Yamamoto has only played 125 games and has shown he has some semblance of skill.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Convenient that you left out DeBrusk’s other two year totals in the playoffs.
4 years - 26 points DeBrusk
2 years -1 point Yamamoto
But that alright because Bruins will find a deal of better value.
Not convenient at all.. using his most recent work.. it's REALLY clear that his game has been in decline.

upload_2021-12-31_14-2-22.png

Playoffs

upload_2021-12-31_14-3-14.png

We are on season 2 of obvious decline. It's also very public that he wants a trade yet he's still there.

FTR.. I'd do 2017 debrusk for 2021 Yam in a second.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Well with DeBrusk’s recent decline it is probably better for the Bruins to keep him. Talk is that they have talked about rescinding his request and staying with the team.
Better to keep him and not risk trading him and getting something worst.

Reactions: Czechboy

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
side question... is Lauko consider a possible replacement for Debrusk? Or I am way off here? FTR.. I think Debrusk's biggest issues is no Krejci. Even during the Oil game.. his Dad talked a lot about how Krejci missing affected him.
There's some fans of Lauko, and I think he has upside.

Will he reach it in the Boston system? I don't know.

As for Krejci, Bruins definitely miss Krejci, BUT: and big but here, Sweeney failed miserably at finding his replacement.

I don't think Krejci was a blindside loss, Sweeney just prepared awfully and thought his other mediocre changes would help.

Debrusk was struggling with Krejci at times. And Krejci honestly didn't really pick up play until Hall showed up.

I was personally fine with moving on from Krejci had we actually had some sort of replacement, but Bruins don't. And here we are.

Reactions: Czechboy

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Well with DeBrusk’s recent decline it is probably better for the Bruins to keep him. Talk is that they have talked about rescinding his request and staying with the team.
Better to keep him and not risk trading him and getting something worst.
How would you feel if he walks?

We can convince him we won't trade him, but he's got a free ticket out of here if the Bruins don't qualify him.

Best case scenario is sending him some place he wants to be. Lots of players benefit from a change of scenery. It would be a very Sweeney thing to do to let him walk in July. Just like Kase and Ritchie.

I'm really fed up with Sweeney's assets management. And if Bruins don't have a great product on the ice I see no reason to trust he's making the right moves.

I've said it before. Bruins are not going to get a better player than Debrusk in a Debrusk trade.

Best bet is to trade him for the best package of futures and move on. Sweeney then can try to improve the team without Debrusk needing to be part of the deal.

Otherwise, we are only going to be offered other struggling players, which most Bruins fans are scoffing at because they aren't notable upgrades.

Even if Debrusk rescinds his trade request. I am almost certain he's not on the roster next season.

So we either keep him for our own "rental" for what I see a doomed playoff run, or we move on and make the best of a bad situation.

But then again, maybe I'll be wrong. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Depending on this insane video review.. Yam may have his second goal of the game. Now we want Swayman instead!lol

FTR.. I am a B's fan as well... Oil are usually out of playoffs by December and I follow the teams with most prominent Czechs. Pastrnak, Krejci, Nosek, Lauko, Zboril, Vladar... and I think Bergeron is the perfect hockey player. I usually use Boston as an example on how to run a team properly.lol Eg. If Rask comes back.. whoever you think is your 3rd best goalie is better than our best goalie.lol

Goal stands after a 9 minute review. We are not trading Yam because he has 2 goals in one game and Debrusk has 5 on the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad