Rumor: Bruins and Oilers talking swap?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There is no scenario across the multiverse where Kailer Yamamoto is used as a piece to acquire anything of value. He's the 2021 version of Ryder in the Ryder/Halak/ and a 2nd offer of years ago. You can't trade the crumbs at the bottom of a Dorito bag for anything but orange fingers.

Good analogy!

Except Debrusk is the sticky orange fingers.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
There is no scenario across the multiverse where Kailer Yamamoto is used as a piece to acquire anything of value. He's the 2021 version of Ryder in the Ryder/Halak/ and a 2nd offer of years ago. You can't trade the crumbs at the bottom of a Dorito bag for anything but orange fingers.
While that may be true, how is an overpriced, underperforming, and unhappy DeBrusk on an expiring RFA contract with a ridiculously high QO any more valuable? Don’t offer crap and tell me it’s pudding.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Why would Oil do this for a guy they definitely can’t re-sign
What makes you think the Oilers couldn’t resign DeBrusk, if Edmonton did acquire DeBrusk?

Holland and DeBrusk’s agent could come to terms on a lesser deal before DeBrusk is required to be qualified as an RFA, Jake might not come as cheap as Yamamoto but I don’t see any GM qualifying DeBrusk at 4.85mil.

In the end DeBrusk could end up as a UFA, or Jake can except a lesser offer lower then even his cap hit 3.675mil, anything over 2.5mil and I’d let him walk to UFA and test the market, same applies to Yamamoto even less so due to the fact that his track record isn’t as good as DeBrusk’s and due to the fact that Yamamoto is a few years younger and doesn’t have the same experience as DeBrusk.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Why doesnt Tippet ever tried Yamamoto as a mai stay on 3rd line??
Yamamoto is always in the top of drawn penalties, is a good PKer, can finnish, but hasnt found any groove on his line yet.

If I could trade Tippet, I would do that as the prime trade chip.

Cant see that chip having any value...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'm down for this. Let's talk Koskinen plus a pick for Ullmark if Rask indeed signs.

Debrusk 50% + Ullmark for edm 1st + Yamamoto + cap Koskinen

nope

Problem is Ullmark and his bad contract--why are the oilers giving up a first? Rask is reportedly coming back and Swaymen has proven he ready for the NHL but need a better goalie around to help carry the water--Ullmark also has a NMC and I do not see him waiving it to go to the fire storm in Edmonton

Ullmark is on 5mill for 3 years and I do not see him as the solution to the oilers problems and at 5 mill it causes the oilers cap problems
50% off of Debrusk is not much an issue

The deal could be Yamamoto for Debrusk. The problem is Debrusk makes 3.75 and he would eat up what little cap space the oilers have left and the oilers would have to send someone down to get under the cap. HE has arbitration rights and his qualifying offer could make it into another AA type trade the cost the oilers

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
nope

Problem is Ullmark and his bad contract--why are the oilers giving up a first? Rask is reportedly coming back and Swaymen has proven he ready for the NHL but need a better goalie around to help carry the water--Ullmark also has a NMC and I do not see him waiving it to go to the fire storm in Edmonton

Ullmark is on 5mill for 3 years and I do not see him as the solution to the oilers problems and at 5 mill it causes the oilers cap problems
50% off of Debrusk is not much an issue

The deal could be Yamamoto for Debrusk. The problem is Debrusk makes 3.75 and he would eat up what little cap space the oilers have left and the oilers would have to send someone down to get under the cap. HE has arbitration rights and his qualifying offer could make it into another AA type trade the cost the oilers
Deal could be Yam + Koekkoekk for DeBrusk?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This would be the Oilers selling a good asset at a very low point .. so yeah, will probably happen!

I have all day for Kassian for Debrusk and then not keeping Debrusk since his qualifying offer is too high.
Why would Boston do that swap? Awful for them.

Reactions: Hookslide

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Please end this insane talk , the last thing the Bruins need is another small soft player...........Through my executive powers I shut down this talk immediately........

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
What makes you think the Oilers couldn’t resign DeBrusk, if Edmonton did acquire DeBrusk?

Holland and DeBrusk’s agent could come to terms on a lesser deal before DeBrusk is required to be qualified as an RFA, Jake might not come as cheap as Yamamoto but I don’t see any GM qualifying DeBrusk at 4.85mil.

In the end DeBrusk could end up as a UFA, or Jake can except a lesser offer lower then even his cap hit 3.675mil, anything over 2.5mil and I’d let him walk to UFA and test the market, same applies to Yamamoto even less so due to the fact that his track record isn’t as good as DeBrusk’s and due to the fact that Yamamoto is a few years younger and doesn’t have the same experience as DeBrusk.
Because of lack of cap space and the need to acquire a goaler, re-sign Bisonking and near term raise for Bouchard

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Oilers issues are they have no goalie, defence and Yamamoto is too small of a player that would not interest the Bruins. A big No to an overpaid bottom six Kassien as well. Don’t think there is a trade to be made here. Oilers may need another team involved to organize a trade if they want DeBrusk. You can see that DeBrusk and Ullmark could fix a lot of the Oilers issues.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oilers issues are they have no goalie, defence and Yamamoto is too small of a player that would not interest the Bruins. A big No to an overpaid bottom six Kassien as well. Don’t think there is a trade to be made here. Oilers may need another team involved to organize a trade if they want DeBrusk. You can see that DeBrusk and Ullmark could fix a lot of the Oilers issues.

DeBrusk has little value, a player who is underperforming and who has requested a trade. Take the homer glasses off and you'll see why this trade would favor the Bruins.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Didn't mean to come at you guns blazing.

Just nothing to get excited for in this. I'm not a Debrusk fan. I know Boston wont get something crazy for him. I'd rather see him packaged in a deal with a pick for an upgrade from a team willing to take a risk and needs picks to rebuild. A lateral move just keeps Boston in that 13-18 pick range and a fringe play off team with an aging core.

Doesn't really move them in either direction. Something I don't think any Bruins fan wants to see right now. More of the same
Debrusk isn't getting an upgrade alone. And even if he did, he wouldn't be the main part of that deal.

If Bruins truly want an upgrade, move Debrusk for the best futures package we can, then play the role of buyer to another team. A hockey trade is just asking us to get get bent over, especially with Sweeney at the helm.

In terms of Yamamoto, he's having a down year. Maybe he bounces back, maybe he doesn't. Same as Debrusk. In the same vein as Strome, at least they are young enough that they can potentially bounce back. Thing is we are buying low. Something the Bruins should be doing.

Otherwise, go with the sell Debrusk first. Buy upgrade later. I doubt it would happen in the same deal if so. If we truly want to get an upgrade, dealing Debrusk directly won't cut it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With Debrusk there is atleast a 3 year history if him scoring at a good second line clip 20 goals and 40 to 50 point paces.

I could definitely see why the Oilers would be interested if he bounces back to that player.

Yamamoto seems to have stalled after his initial hot streak. It's hard to imagine that he can't produce more playing with a top 2 to 3 player in the league.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Debrusk is essentially an impending UFA due to the likelihood that no team will be willing to give him his QO. I'd be surprised if he pulls anything more than a mid round pick.
If traded to a Western Canadian team, I'd be surprised if Debrusk isn't re-signed for below qo.

Debrusks camp likely knows even if he hits UFA, the offers probably won't be crazy. I think Debrusk wants to find the right team/location. And if that happens he'll sign there at a fairer price.

That said, Debrusk's value isn't high. I know many Bruins fans want an upgrade. But IMO, the options are either trade Debrusk strictly for futures (honestly right now 2nd or 3rd+mid tier prospect is probably his rental value), trade him for a struggling young player in the same boat (Yamamoto, Strome), or miraculously make a hockey trade improving the team (I'm not confident Sweeney can do that).

I'm not expecting the world coming back. I just hope it's a longer term move that isn't moving Debrusk for a short term rental.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
The people talking about Yamamoto here as if they watch him are hilarious, you really can't judge him based on his size/shots/point totals.

He's a great PKer and a good two-way 5v5 player, and he's NOT AT ALL the soft perimeter player that some people are describing. He's extremely gritty, possibly the grittiest guy on our team after Hyman. He plays much bigger than his size and is great on the forecheck.

Tippett is really misusing him right now though. He's not a good fit with Draisaitl, who plays a heavy cycle game that draws a ton of abuse. Yamamoto isn't bad on the cycle, but his lack of size and elite speed prevent him from creating enough space to create high danger scoring chances. Playing on a line that is built a bit more off the rush would help him like crazy, Tippett just can't see it right now. (Then again, in an interview our assistant coach mentioned that our top players consistently ask to play with Yamamoto). The reason his shot totals are so low is that he prioritizes maintaining the cycle on for Draisaitl. If he stopped deferring to him just a little bit, both his shot and point totals would rise pretty steadily.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Actually the Oilers biggest issue is our bottom 6 can’t score. Like, at all. Our defense isn’t a problem (aside from the fact we’ve only had 2 dmen stay healthy this year, resulting in 11 different dmen playing games already).

And if you’re talking about Yamo being too small, you’ve clearly not watched him.

Yamamoto seems like a really bad fit for the Bruins. Can't seem him thriving there.

Because the Bruins hate hard working, gritty players? That’s news to me

If traded to a Western Canadian team, I'd be surprised if Debrusk isn't re-signed for below qo.

Debrusks camp likely knows even if he hits UFA, the offers probably won't be crazy. I think Debrusk wants to find the right team/location. And if that happens he'll sign there at a fairer price.

That said, Debrusk's value isn't high. I know many Bruins fans want an upgrade. But IMO, the options are either trade Debrusk strictly for futures (honestly right now 2nd or 3rd+mid tier prospect is probably his rental value), trade him for a struggling young player in the same boat (Yamamoto, Strome), or miraculously make a hockey trade improving the team (I'm not confident Sweeney can do that).

I'm not expecting the world coming back. I just hope it's a longer term move that isn't moving Debrusk for a short term rental.

This is all bang on. I said it when Debrusk first asked for the trade, and I’ll say it again, Debrusk to Edmonton is about the most obvious fit I’ve ever seen. With how long his dad has been in the organization, you know he’s going to be given every opportunity to succeed, and he’d be a fool not to take a short term discount to make it happen

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Why would Boston do that swap? Awful for them.
Exactly how I feel about Yam for Debrusk!

However, I'm an Oil fan so I'm used to losing trades. I follow B's pretty closely because of all the Czech connections and notice you guys usually win trades. So this seems likely to happen.lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

side question... is Lauko consider a possible replacement for Debrusk? Or I am way off here? FTR.. I think Debrusk's biggest issues is no Krejci. Even during the Oil game.. his Dad talked a lot about how Krejci missing affected him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad