Value of: Brock Boeser

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Severson is not a starting point. Try Holtz or T.Smith or Hischier

If you could get Smith or Holtz straight up, that woukd be fair. Boeser is the realization of potential. With Smith or Holtz, there might be greater upside than Boeser but obviously there's also risk of not reaching potential. But you should also consider the cost of each player. The prospects cost less and are typically locked up longer.

So I don't think Smith or Holtz are a start as much as they're the entirety of what you might reasonably expect.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Vancouver is looking to add younger pieces. 2 30 year olds isn’t the answer.

A team full of kids has a big problem reaching their potential without some experience. Neither of those two are long in the tooth even with their age.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
A team full of kids has a big problem reaching their potential without some experience. Neither of those two are long in the tooth even with their age.

They’re not trading Boeser for “experience”. While Mayfield would be a welcome addition, he’s 1 year away from UFA and a HUGE raise. It’s not a fit.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019

You do realize the Nucks just traded away their “experienced” guys to AZ this past summer because all these “experienced” guys have been so impactful for the team, right?

/s

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You do realize the Nucks just traded away their “experienced” guys to AZ this past summer because all these “experienced” guys have been so impactful for the team, right?

/s

you do realize one instance isn’t everything? No /sarc on that

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021

/s
Yep OEL 30 year old kid is exactly the youth movement Canucks needed. Team friendly contract as well and didn’t cost a top 10 pick for that youth movement, right? /S

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Yep OEL 30 year old kid is exactly the youth movement Canucks needed. Team friendly contract as well and didn’t cost a top 10 pick for that youth movement, right? /S
Your point is accurate, but that was under the old regime. The new one is saying they want to get younger and add picks.

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019

You understand we got younger by trading Beagle (36), Ericksson (36), Roussel (32) and picks for OEL (30) and Garland (25), right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Severson is thrown in to every single trade offer the Devils are a part of. I wonder why that could be?

It's a classic [expendable roster player] + 2nd that is thrown around every.single.day. you want real discourse make a real offer. I mean i dont normally take part in these trade negotiations on hf but just making an observation here.
Severson not an expendable roster player. He’s a legit top 4 RHD.
Which is exactly what the OP asked for, along with a 2nd round pick.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Your point is accurate, but that was under the old regime. The new one is saying they want to get younger and add picks.
I understand but OP was trying to say having OEL at 30-35 instead of an 18-25(7) was a move to get younger. Same person who bashes Benning constantly but tries to defend that. The players he brought up are one year deals and off the books next year. Canucks should’ve sucked up the one year but instead compounded the problem. Reminds me of Rangers buying out Girardi and signing Shattenkirk. They bought out Shattenkirk because they brought in Trouba. That’s why Rangers cap situation has been messed up last 2-3 years despite rebuilding

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Something like JBD + Connor Brown + ? for Boeser + ?

Interestingly enough Brown and Boeser have an identical even strength goal scoring rate (0.23 EVG / gp) over the past two seasons. All while Boeser gets 62%+ offensive zone starts and faces significantly weaker competition. Connor Brown is a shut down winger who is very underrated. Adding JBD who looks like he's going to be a top 4 RD in a few years. I would say this is a solid package for Boeser. I honestly don't think Ottawa should do it and doubt Vancouver would consider it. Which probably makes it relatively fair lol

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Severson would be the best D on the Canucks behind Hughes.
Severson is criminally under rated in the league.
His last game against the Caps shows how good he really is.
The Devils were down to 4 D for awhile and Damon played massive minutes sitting down the Caps top line . Added a goal and an assist and played an amazing defensive game to help the Devils win.
Was all over the ice generating chances and preventing chances in his own end.
I agree that Severson is not worth Boeser one for one but him as part of an offer is not as bad as a lot of Canuck fans are making it out to be. I’d go as far as to say Severson is a decent #2 or very very good #3 .

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He is an upcoming UFA and while he's not a plug, he won't be the centerpiece if Boeser is going the other way.

Severson is NOT an upcoming UFA, he's got another year on his deal. If Vancouver wants a top 4 RHD, Severson fits that bill while I don't think a 2nd is enough to bridge the gap, he's a decent start.
Severson + Foote probably gets it close though

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Severson is NOT an upcoming UFA, he's got another year on his deal. If Vancouver wants a top 4 RHD, Severson fits that bill while I don't think a 2nd is enough to bridge the gap, he's a decent start.

Definitely intrigued.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I want Severson, just not at the cost of Boeser, even if there is an add. What else does NJD need that we may be able to offer?

Feb 19, 2018
Is there a reason why Severson is in every package to be traded from NJ fans? And then next they argue how great he is and worth it to get a great young piece from another team?

I can tell you why!

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Severson would be the best D on the Canucks behind Hughes.
Severson is criminally under rated in the league.
His last game against the Caps shows how good he really is.
The Devils were down to 4 D for awhile and Damon played massive minutes sitting down the Caps top line . Added a goal and an assist and played an amazing defensive game to help the Devils win.
Was all over the ice generating chances and preventing chances in his own end.
I agree that Severson is not worth Boeser one for one but him as part of an offer is not as bad as a lot of Canuck fans are making it out to be. I’d go as far as to say Severson is a decent #2 or very very good #3 .
He would not be the 2nd best d on the Canucks. He’d be the 3rd best, maybe even 4th.
That doesn’t get it done. Severson has 1.5 years on his deal until UFA, and is not the type of D the Canucks need. We need someone that is good in his own zone. Foote is looking like a potential bottom 6 forward. This is not a good offer.

Feb 19, 2018
If you could get Smith or Holtz straight up, that woukd be fair. Boeser is the realization of potential. With Smith or Holtz, there might be greater upside than Boeser but obviously there's also risk of not reaching potential. But you should also consider the cost of each player. The prospects cost less and are typically locked up longer.

So I don't think Smith or Holtz are a start as much as they're the entirety of what you might reasonably expect.
Unfortunately this is not the case. If you are getting a young polished product you are giving away younger with potential in order to create something called “value”.

Look it up, I’m not joking.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He would not be the 2nd best d on the Canucks. He’d be the 3rd best, maybe even 4th.

That doesn’t get it done. Severson has 1.5 years on his deal until UFA, and is not the type of D the Canucks need. We need someone that is good in his own zone. Foote is looking like a potential bottom 6 forward. This is not a good offer.

Yes I know a potential top 6 player and a top 4 defenceman aren't near enough in your mind. Reality is, they aren't getting Hischier, or either Hughes and it feels like that is what you'd consider a good offer
You may not think this is a "good offer" but if they traded him, this would be what the return would look like.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Is there a reason why Severson is in every package to be traded from NJ fans? And then next they argue how great he is and worth it to get a great young piece from another team?

I can tell you why!
It’s been said multiple times. It’s not that NJ wants to get rid of Severson . I personally think it’s a dumb move to get rid of one of our very few capable RHD . However , we probably cannot afford to pay him what he will be worth in the 1.5 years from now when he is a UFA . Especially if him and Seigenthaler keep playing like a top pairing. Right now they are new used more than Hamilton and Graves pairing. They are the shut down defensive duo both 5 on 5 and on the PK. If the Devils were remotely close to comtemdig for a wild card spot they would not move Severson at all. However I could see them moving him if it looks like he will want to check out the market as a UFA

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It’s been said multiple times. It’s not that NJ wants to get rid of Severson . I personally think it’s a dumb move to get rid of one of our very few capable RHD . However , we probably cannot afford to pay him what he will be worth in the 1.5 years from now when he is a UFA .

This is exactly why Vancouver would not be interested in him.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Yes I know a potential top 6 player and a top 4 defenceman aren't near enough in your mind. Reality is, they aren't getting Hischier, or either Hughes and it feels like that is what you'd consider a good offer
You may not think this is a "good offer" but if they traded him, this would be what the return would look like.
No it wouldn’t. Zero interest in Severson as a main piece for Boeser. Zero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad