Pre-Game Talk: Bring on the canucks! (schedule added post#1)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think its pretty safe to say that the goalies are a wash.

So, do you guys really think that the SJ defense will shut down Sedin Sedin Kesler Roy Burrows Hansen Higgins MORE than Vans D will contain the SJ big guns?

I think that the SJ defense will be their Achilles heal

Let me match your homerism and show you why posting things like this is really pointless:

So, do you guys really think that the Vancouver defense will shut down Thornton Burns Couture Pavelski Marleau Havlat Torres MORE than Sj's D will contain the Vancouver big guns?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Let me match your homerism and show you why posting things like this is really pointless:

So, do you guys really think that the Vancouver defense will shut down Thornton Burns Couture Pavelski Marleau Havlat Torres MORE than Sj's D will contain the Vancouver big guns?

Hmm yes.... because Edler, Hamhuis Garrison Bieksa Tanev Ballard/Alberta/Corrado are that much better than Sj's D.
And with each forward group being about equal. (you could argue SJ or van is better..but they are pretty equal) then the big difference in D should indicate the outcome!

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
sorry guys..dont mean to troll but i'm just trying to figure out your mindset since the poll results here are so different than the ones in the main board.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
Hmm yes.... because Edler, Hamhuis Garrison Bieksa Tanev Ballard/Alberta/Corrado are that much better than Sj's D.
And with each forward group being about equal. (you could argue SJ or van is better..but they are pretty equal) then the big difference in D should indicate the outcome!

Your problem is assuming that it's Vancouver's forwards against San Jose's Defenseman. It's called team defense. The Sharks rely on the 6 guys being greater than the sum of its parts.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

We edge the Sharks out slightly in goaltending too.

Doesn't matter though; if the Canucks play as lethargic as they have most of the season they're done in six..... which is my official prediction btw. (even though I vote Canucks in 4 in their poll :D)

Sharks finished the season with only 2 points less than us... playing in a way tougher division.

Last edited:

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
We edge the Sharks out slightly in goaltending too.

Doesn't matter though; if the Canucks play as lethargic as they have most of the season they're done in six..... which is my official prediction btw. (even though I vote Canucks in 4 in their poll :D)

Sharks finished the season with only 2 points less than us... playing in a way tougher division.

I am just hoping we dont see a rehash of this

reflogo.png

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I think the forecheck will play a huge role in the series.

SJ's forecheck is second only to stl imo. If the Canucks are on top of their game then they are one of the best transition teams in the league. When they're not on their game, the D second guess their passes and there is too much lateral movement and not enough north south. SJ forwards will make them pay if they're not on their game.

So much of it is a mental battle

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
My honest opinion is that if Demers does not play, the Sharks are going to struggle. They are going to struggle twice as much if Hannan the destroyer of dreams plays more than 2 minutes. Its not a struggle they cant overcome, they just need everyone to actually show up.

Tanevian*

sorry guys..dont mean to troll but i'm just trying to figure out your mindset since the poll results here are so different than the ones in the main board.

If you need to spend more than 1 second trying to figure out why the Sharks board would have different results than say, a Canucks board, then trolling should be way down on your list of things to both worry and apologize for.

Tanevian*

I think both of our teams' forwards do a better job of shutting themselves down.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
I seem to recall 3 5on3 goals scored in less than 2 minutes and a missed icing call that led directly to Bieksa's where's waldo goal to end the series.

Not directly -- the missed icing call would have likely ended the game in regulation (in favor of SJ). Instead, icing was called, the faceoff came back into the Sharks zone, and Vancouver tied it up.

I still think the whistle should have been blown when the puck caromed off the stanchion and no one in the arena (other than Bieksa) knew where it was.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
They do know the Sharks traded Clowe, Handzus and Murray right? :laugh:

You should check out the main board. They think we were sellers at the deadline even though we pointed out the Torres and Hanna trades.:laugh:

They also think unloading those three while acquiring Torres still makes us a slow team.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think its pretty safe to say that the goalies are a wash.

So, do you guys really think that the SJ defense will shut down Sedin Sedin Kesler Roy Burrows Hansen Higgins MORE than Vans D will contain the SJ big guns?

I think that the SJ defense will be their Achilles heal

I agree wholeheartedly except for the goalie part. Who needs a cup winning Vezina candidate when you've got a guy with 3 career playoff games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad